Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

Wouldnt play Devenney ahead of Gardner either, neither can tackle but at least Gardner is good on the ball and can take a score, devenney is one of the worst ball players on the team, watch him try solo the ball, he solo's it up in the air most of the time!

rosnarun

not bad but if you swap K omalley for Clarke Lomalley for A higgins put heaney in full back swithc  the other higgins over swap in gardiner for devenny, put BJP at centre back have hart and mcgarrity at midfield. andy at right half forward C MCd in the middle Ger brady on the right Trevor and connor in the corners and Marty Mcnicholas at FF you have the basis of a good team
QuoteHow about the following
Clarke
Higgins          Kilcullen              Higgins
Devenney     Heaney               Howley
Moran          Brady
Dillon           Trevor                Kilcoyne
Campbell      Mortimer             Moran
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ildanach

Quote from: rosnarun on June 12, 2007, 10:31:34 AM
not bad but if you swap K omalley for Clarke Lomalley for A higgins put heaney in full back swithc  the other higgins over swap in gardiner for devenny, put BJP at centre back have hart and mcgarrity at midfield. andy at right half forward C MCd in the middle Ger brady on the right Trevor and connor in the corners and Marty Mcnicholas at FF you have the basis of a good team

Harte is suspended for the next day. My midfield would be Heaney and Brady
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ludermor

Barney

Ros you're a bollix!

Gardiner is not a good man for a score. He is a sprinter. He cannot kick the ball. He runs so far and then stops. Holds up the ball and gets caught of position. And when in position he cannot defend. I know its harsh but his limitations have been shown up many times.

It is a disgrace that none of our six backs can actually comfortably kick a football - look at David Heaney, he looks very amateur when trying to leather the football. Its a recipe for disaster because you can only handpass your way out of trouble.

rosnarun

i did agrre with you on howley
I agree mayo backs shouw be able to kick the ball better and the forwards should score more but do you really think there are 30 better players in may than these guys . they are what we have and that is the style they play. C mcdonald  is the only true footballer on the team annd every now say he holds things up. Like it or not Mayo are going to be playing running hand ball for years to come at least untill Mr feeny's school of excellence players come through
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Davitt Man

Mayo played Cavan in a challenge in Athlone last night. Cavan won the game, mayo had a strong team out apparently

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on June 13, 2007, 01:30:37 PM
Mayo played Cavan in a challenge in Athlone last night. Cavan won the game, mayo had a strong team out apparently

That is worrying... 

blast05

QuoteMayo played Cavan in a challenge in Athlone last night.

Agghh, why didn't you post that 24 hours ago.
Same applies for anyone with info on any upcoming challenges. Would gladly travel an hour or two to satisfy the fix of seeing the team in action.

Davitt Man

Quote from: blast05 on June 13, 2007, 03:16:51 PM
QuoteMayo played Cavan in a challenge in Athlone last night.

Agghh, why didn't you post that 24 hours ago.
Same applies for anyone with info on any upcoming challenges. Would gladly travel an hour or two to satisfy the fix of seeing the team in action.

i only found out today off a fella that works with a cavan panel member

furboot

reading this bb it strikes me that Mayo haven't really made any great advance on last year - yes we had one great match against Dublin to give us a glimse of what can happen on a good day - then down to earth with a bump against kerry (by the way just came across those matches out there on dvd at www.dvdsales.ie) .
Following that it was a league campaign where i think we punched a bit above our weight to get to a final. Galway turned us over easy .........and now Cavan are getting in on the act (no disrespect to Cavan who are never a walkover).
We have one or two players who should be allowed hang up the boots are many years of great service - players playing out of position and a manager who has more than football on his mind. And you know what - as they ad says ".....we could go a long way" this year yet>!!!!

Bod Mor

On the issue of picking forwards for the next championship match I have been monitoring the club matches over the past couple of weeks.

Austin O'Malley seems to be back to his very best for Louisburgh in the last few matches, he has been scoring heavily, surely has to be considered by JOM for a starting place.

Andy Moran scored 2-1 at the weekend for Ballagh, can anybody confirm whether he plays half forward or full forward for his club? Barry Regan has also been chipping in with a good few scores but I don't think he's on the senior panel anymore, can anyone confirm?

Damian Munnelly for Knockmore has been popping up with a lot of scores for Knockmore but as JOM has decided on his squad for this years championship. What do the Knockmore lads here think of Munnelly? I know he was on the squad a couple of years ago but never mads the cut.

Conor Mortimer is doing his usual stuff for Shrule-Glencorrib although they lost at the weekend.

Of the Ballina lads Pat Harte seems to be in form player at the moment. He got 5 points at the weekend, anybody know did he start in midfield or in the half forwards.

If I was JOM I would be picking the in form forwards at the moment. Her'es my stab at the forwards for the next championship match:

Dillon          McDonald     T Mortimor(Pat Harte when he comes back)

C Mortimor  A O'Malley     A Moran

What do people think of this sextet for the next day?

Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Barney

Austin O'Malley is nowhere near good enough for this level of football. He is predictable, slow, and does not mix well with the gameplan (on the rare occasion where there is one!). I've been worried the last few weeks when I saw him getting headlines in the local papers!

westmayo

Have to agree with you on AOM Barney, no doubt he's a very good club player, but I don't think he has it when it comes to the intercounty game. In Sean Rice's article in the Mayo News this week he was commenting on the fact that so far in the club championship he has seen there are a number of tall strong players on display but they have all been overshadowed by small and skillfull players that populate the Mayo game and we are no closer to finding someone who can match the brawn and muscle of a Kerryman. So it looks like were stuck with what we've got.

mannix

Well how did he score 5 points from play if he is not good enough, against kerry in the championship?
He is good enough but more so as a finisher than a set up man of which we have plenty.He must be used at fullforward and left there to prosper.On the thing of taller less skillful players in Mayo, yes we have a lot of them and its worth remembering David brady last september, he is no back by any means but shut donaghy down better than anyone else in the championship last year.That is my drift of thinking on physical power in certain areas.By the way brady is not a lesser skilled man but not one you get finesse from when a total embarassment is on the cards,he saved Mayo from extreme embarassment (20 point beating) and maybe prolonged a few careers too,less physical lads were thrown away like dolls that day and they were almost apologising to kerry for getting in the way.James kilcullen is another lad that does not apologise for breaking anyones hand with a punch when going to break a ball, why should he? Do OSe or Cavanagh apologise when they level someone?
Its not like tyrone or the rest bar kerry are overloaded with talent, we have as much chance as anyone if we can avoid our hex.And there are one or two that are able to beat kerry this year, all we can do is hope they do and we can breathe easier if we progress.I could not face another final or semi with them as opponents.