Denmark 0 All Ireland 4

Started by T Fearon, August 23, 2007, 09:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

At last, the dream comes true and a six counties born player appears in an FAI Senior team, and even sets up a goal! ;D

A great morale boosting performance as well, with the real top Irish striker (who has played for top clubs like Inter and Spurs, not failed at Preston and Leeds ;D) showing that he is in fine form and what a way for young Shane Long to make his mark.

I have a feeling its gonna be  a great Autumn, with Ireland hosting Germany in Croker and still very much in contention, and the six counties going bellyup in Spain, Sweden, Latvia and Iceland. Bring it on! ;D

charlie stubbs

good win for roi last night didnt see any of the game but it will definately raise spirits ahead of these 2 vital qualifiers against slovakia and czech republic

lynchbhoy

it was a good win for Ireland last night but denmark must be complete rubbish.
On paper that was a poor Irish side. It was great to see so many young , fast and eager players in the second half, and as john giles says, its great for the future for the team.

with so many big name players on the denmark side though , they really seem to be a nation of chokers.

will never forget that world cup where they were playing imo the best football of the tournament , and then went on to lose 5-1 to spain !

T Fearon

I don't know. Hopefully the Danes will be stung by last night's rout and be all fired up for their trip to Windsor Park. They will not want to be turned over by the inferior of the two Irish sides.Also didn't they draw 3-3 with Sweden or something?

Anyone else remember the cracking 3-3 draw between the Danes and Ireland in 1978 in Denmark in the opening match of the 1980 Euro Championship 2008 qualifiers, which was played strangely before the start of the 1978 World Cup Finals? Nostalgia

MW

Tony, are you actually a Republic of Ireland fan or just an "anti-Northern Ireland" fan?

Just that you can even refer to a good result for the RoI without referring to NI...

T Fearon

MW I'm an Ireland fan, supporting the Irish team which draws support and players from all parts of the island.

Donagh

Tony could be very right in his assertions. Now that Gibson had set the precedent I can't see too many young players from the nationalist community declaring for the north when they have the option of a more palatable Irish team (i.e. anthems, flags and if we're honest better calibre of players).

nifan

remains to be seen donagh, chris baird was asked recently before he started to play for us, and he refused.

other players have done similar before, but none have been good enough to make it (McStay for example, OConnor could be the next if he remains fit however)

Donagh

I don't know to much about the soccer setup here but I from what I can see now the only thing the IFA have going for them is the relationships they build with the players at underage level i.e. that might foster a bit of loyalty. I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a reaction in the north about Gibson as apart from the above I really can't see any reason why anyone would declare for the north now. IMO the IFA had better get the anthem and flags thing sorted out asap and 'Football For All' would need to concentrate more on getting nationalists involved.

nifan

Baird is a catholic - from rasharkin- for what it matters
Decent hurler too by all accounts.

The stand was completely empty as it is fecked - health and safety. The railway stand is awful anyway - doesnt hold that many, has pillars blocking the view etc.

nifan

Donagh, FFA is involved in more than just what occurs at the ground. There is work, such as the recent night league in andytown, that is down amongst all the communities in NI (chinese community, refugees etc)

nifan

The area of the ground that was capable of holding spectators was sold out.
There where no tickets remaining - it was a sell out.

Im sure you understand that but are just twisting ;)

T Fearon

The really sensible option would in all seriousness be for both teams and associations to amalgamate. I read in the Sunday Times a few weeks ago that the IFA and FAI were linking up to jointly bid to host the Euro U21 Finals in 2011.FFS if they can do this why can't they do it permanently instead of the current status quo where essentailly you have one Irish team for unionists and another for nationalists.

I defy anyone from OWC in all seriousness to forward one sensible or logical football argument for a single team and single domestic league on the island of Ireland. After all it works in Rugby and has provided an International team that can seriously challenge for the World Cup and which enjoys the support of everyone on this island

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 23, 2007, 12:37:56 PM
Is Baird a Catholic?

Yes, for what that matters.

Good wins for both Irish teams last night, though how anyone can claim a game is sold out when stands are completely empty is beyond me? Any team can half fill a small semi derilict ground  ;)

The Railway Stand (which is tiny) is closed for health & safety reasons. All tickets are sold out and the stand could be filled many times over with the current unmet demand for tickets.

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 23, 2007, 12:44:01 PM
So part of the ground was sold out then, contrary to what some posters have claimed in another thread  ;)

No, the entirety of the tickets were sold out, despite you repeatedly trying to claim there was a lack of demand for tickets. In fact demand significantly exceeds supply - even for a match against little Lichtenstein.