Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

When did Elton John sell Watford?
I remember the 84 cup final when Watford had John Barnes and Mo Johnston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoDsZbUsvEE
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Yes and later Barnes and Johnston would both become reviled by Celtic supporters.

Over the Bar

Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2017, 09:47:20 PM
Yes and later Barnes and Johnston would both become reviled by Celtic supporters.

You know that feeling, eh Tony? 😉

T Fearon

Amazed that Graham Taylor died from a heart attack,and not a long ball attack!

imtommygunn

Always thought he seemed like a decent guy. The english media were a disgrace as usual the way they treated him.

bennydorano

Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2017, 09:47:20 PM
Mo defo, John Barnes reviled?  :o Bowsey

mrdeeds

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 12, 2017, 09:58:57 PM
Always thought he seemed like a decent guy. The english media were a disgrace as usual the way they treated him.

Great story when he at Watford his scouts ruined the car because forgot to put oil in it. Called to a meeting and the four scouts had gathered the costs together to pay for damage. Taylor handed them an envelope which they presumed was a bill. Instead was a holiday to Portugal to posh hotel to thank them for hard work. Also him and hos wifes service to mind the children.

Gaffer

He got club scouts to service his car???
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2017, 09:55:31 PM
Amazed that Graham Taylor died from a heart attack,and not a long ball attack!

Dafuq does that even mean. If yer gonna be a tastlesss w**kstain at least make it vaguely funny

mrdeeds

Quote from: Gaffer on January 12, 2017, 10:22:15 PM
He got club scouts to service his car???

They had a club car to travel round country looking at players.

ONeill

Ach I was fond of oul Taylor. When he talked about a game he was buzzing with excitement.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Not one for soccer, but I did like Graham Taylor. Seemed a decent enough aul spud and was hounded unfairly by the tabloids over in England.

RIP lad.
Testing Accessibility

moysider

Swedes 2 Turnips 1.

That was 20+ years ago when English media had the 'England expects' mentality about their football team and a sense of entitlement about themselves. The 'continentals' were regarded as underhand cheaters and divers and South Americans, with the exception of Brazil, were beneath contempt. Especially the Argies. That bias still exists to an extent.

However, I think media in England have a more jaundiced view of the worth of their players more recently. The excellent 'Mike Bassett: England Manager' really hit a nail on the head. I suspect though that it was partly based on the Taylor years.
Journalists like Ron Liddle regularly have a cut at the pampered stars of the England side. Since Taylor, other managers have done little better even though they arguably had more superstars to work with. Scholes, Fowler, Beckam, Gerrard, Owen, Shearer, Lampard, Rooney - add your own. I think the English media has gone from demanding to cynical.

I always got the impression that Taylor was a very nice decent man who had a great love and passion for his game. I suspect that he treated all the players he coached and everybody he met with the greatest respect. I remember his Watford team on Match of The Day. What he did with Watford was brilliant. Fellas of a certain age will always remember players like Steve Sherwood, Kenny Jackett, Nigel Callaghan, Luther Blissett, Gerry Armstrong and John Barnes.
RIP.

seafoid

That 84 cup final had all local players. It was before the wall of money
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Fact is Taylor was a failure as England manager and made some daft decisions,like taking Lineker off during their crucial last game in Euro 92 finals and leaving Gazza out of a qualifier in Dublin,a decision which baffled Big Jack.He was the only England manager in 40 years to fail to qualify for a World Cup Finals spot.As such he was always going to get flak.