Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

[ uote author=5 Sams link=topic=2372.msg1647669#msg1647669 date=1479944414]
Joe Lennon. 3 time All Ireland winner with Down and Captain in 68. RIP
[/quote]

1960 was the start of the modern era in GF . Down took over from Cavan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpntHflrNo

It took 38 years before the occupied territories could stand on the national stage as respected as the best

They absolutely steamrolled Kerry  . Like Tyrone almost half a century later.

the English commentary is very bland but the Kerry man doing the Gaeilge underlined the significance of the match

Ni go heasca a bhfaightear an lamh in uachtar ar Chiarrai go hairithe
Seasannfior chuil an Duin go daingean (Did it inspire 5 Sams , I wonder)
Nach minic a deirtear gur s ceathru deireanach a chuireann Ciarrai chun imirt i gceart

But not that year, baby !

What club did he play for ?

In Persian they say "may he have a happy soul".

Fad saol , gaisciocht  agus bás in Éirinn
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Was Joe Lennon not a pundit on Sports Stadium on RTE on Saturdays in late 80s/early 90s?

snoopdog

RIP Joe. Sad day for Down GAA.
On the Armagh link. I think he may have been born in Poyntz pass. My father from Glen was born in poyntpass so must ask him if that was the norm back then instead of going to banbridge or Newry. Joe was loughbrickland/Glasker a Down man through and through.

thebar

Quote from: BennyCake on November 24, 2016, 10:51:28 AM
Was Joe Lennon not a pundit on Sports Stadium on RTE on Saturdays in late 80s/early 90s?

I think you are correct I remember him on this.

Sad day not only for his family & friends but for Down GAA saying goodbye to an All Ireland Captain. RIP Joe Lennon.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thebar on November 24, 2016, 12:59:11 PM

Sad day not only for his family & friends but for Down GAA saying goodbye to an All Ireland Captain. RIP Joe Lennon.
He was indeed. He wrote a book too about coaching I think?

RIP , and sympathies to his family and Down GAA.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2016, 02:49:05 PM
Quote from: thebar on November 24, 2016, 12:59:11 PM

He was indeed. He wrote a book too about coaching I think?

RIP , and sympathies to his family and Down GAA.
"Coaching Gaelic Football For Champions"

In the sixties and seventies (maybe longer) he was PE teacher at Gormanston College in Meath and I think he played for St. Patrick's, Stamullen.

Oraisteach

My dad was from Down, so Joe Lennon was an icon in our household.  RIP

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Oraisteach on November 24, 2016, 03:45:27 PM
My dad was from Down, so Joe Lennon was an icon in our household.  RIP

I remember my Dad telling me the story of when Joe was asked how he was going to outplay Mick O'Connell at Midfield, due to height and size difference, Joe's reply was that "He can win every high ball, but I will get every low ball", and that's apparently one of the tactics Down used to beat Kerry, played low and negate O'Connell's impact.

RIP to a legend.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Shamrock Shore

The Mammy in The Brady Bunch

armaghniac

Fidel Castro, aged 90.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggy90

RIP.
The last of the great revolutionaries?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 26, 2016, 06:01:00 AM
RIP.
until the next wave

ziggy90

Where's that going to happen then?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2016, 06:29:43 AM
RIP.
until the next wave

You have been right about the revolution coming, but wrong about which side of the political axis it came from. Once again the fear of the far-left has caused the rise of the far-right.

As for Castro, wealthy farmer turned revolutionary, turned dictator for 50 years is some riches, to rags, to riches again story.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 26, 2016, 08:29:12 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2016, 06:29:43 AM
RIP.
until the next wave

You have been right about the revolution coming, but wrong about which side of the political axis it came from. Once again the fear of the far-left has caused the rise of the far-right.

As for Castro, wealthy farmer turned revolutionary, turned dictator for 50 years is some riches, to rags, to riches again story.
Trump is not a revolution. Its psy ops. Same crap as before. . You cannot execute a revolution without the political support to finish it off. That was the lesson from Egypt. All the lefties got emotional about the brave Egyptian people and now the army runs the show same as before. Trump wil drain the swamp by cutting estate tax. I see.

Brexit is a premature ejaculation. There is no political vehicle to deliver. There is no agreement on what it means because it was like  a conference team beating Chelsea in the cup.

If the UK wants to leave the EU it needs a political party that plans the operation , defines clearly costs and benefits and ptesents this to the people then wins an election so it has a mandate.

It has none of that now.