Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 07, 2020, 10:10:31 AM
Quote from: J70 on December 06, 2020, 02:29:27 AM
Ludicrous to allow that first goal though.

Ball clearly had travelled out of play from where the ball landed. Zero common sense applied, and what the hell was the linesman at?

There was a crucial goal given against United v PSG during the week that would have been offside if it was the EPL VAR. These things happen and they're a pain when they go against the team you're rooting for. Soccer must be the only sport in the world that technology has made significantly worse - quite a feat!

The game was bit of a microcosm of the season, some absolutely abject performances, which completed flipped in the second half.

Do we put that down to good management in terms of turning it around? Or was it the fact it couldnt have got much worse?

The lack of consistency which is probably reflected across the league this season is definitely a concern.

J70

Ball clearly had travelled out of play from where the ball landed. Zero common sense applied, and what the hell was the linesman at?

There was a crucial goal given against United v PSG during the week that would have been offside if it was the EPL VAR. These things happen and they're a pain when they go against the team you're rooting for. Soccer must be the only sport in the world that technology has made significantly worse - quite a feat!

Yes, I commented earlier in this thread on the PSG goal. By EPL standards, definite offside, although I'd be inclined to go with the CL standard.

I just can't believe soccer professionals didn't have enough knowledge of the game and the way Henderson whipped the ball to understand that the arc of the pass clearly crossed out of play.

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2020, 12:11:41 PM

Yes, I commented earlier in this thread on the PSG goal. By EPL standards, definite offside, although I'd be inclined to go with the CL standard.

I just can't believe soccer professionals didn't have enough knowledge of the game and the way Henderson whipped the ball to understand that the arc of the pass clearly crossed out of play.
Aye its amazing the technology exists that can tell us a ball is 11mm from being over a goal line(Liv v City a few seasons ago) but it can't work out that a ball is probably 4 or 5 foot over a sideline.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Actually for what it's worth I think the goal had to be given. You can't go from a situation where you are drawing lines on a screen to see if someone's pubic hair is offside or how many millimetres a ball is or isn't over the goal line to suddenly eyeballing a screen to see if the ball is over the sideline.
It was obvious to everyone the ball was probably over but they had no way of proving it was actually over.The way it is now with so much technology being used how can they not give the goal if they can't actually point to a line on screen or a refs watch beeping to say it was actually over the line.
Maybe if the linesman didn't have his feckin back turned to it he might have seen it  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on December 07, 2020, 12:09:55 PM

The game was bit of a microcosm of the season, some absolutely abject performances, which completed flipped in the second half.

Do we put that down to good management in terms of turning it around? Or was it the fact it couldnt have got much worse?

The lack of consistency which is probably reflected across the league this season is definitely a concern.

Fernandes makes United tick, we just look so poor without him. I've astounded nobody was in for him summer 2019, he's quickly become one of the top players in the league.

We've played 10 league games and there's periods in 8 of those games where we've been shambolic. Probably Everton & Newcastle away were the only 2 games where United haven't looked like a championship side in periods.

J70

Quote from: laoislad on December 07, 2020, 12:37:53 PM
Actually for what it's worth I think the goal had to be given. You can't go from a situation where you are drawing lines on a screen to see if someone's pubic hair is offside or how many millimetres a ball is or isn't over the goal line to suddenly eyeballing a screen to see if the ball is over the sideline.
It was obvious to everyone the ball was probably over but they had no way of proving it was actually over.The way it is now with so much technology being used how can they not give the goal if they can't actually point to a line on screen or a refs watch beeping to say it was actually over the line.
Maybe if the linesman didn't have his feckin back turned to it he might have seen it  ::)

That's where I'm talking about common sense and simple game knowledge. From where the ball landed, where it was kicked, and how Henderson hit it, there's no way anyone who has ever wrapped his foot around the ball wouldn't see that as having had to go out of play.

If we are going be a complete hostage to technology, that's a problem too.

But yes, 99/100 times, the linesman would be doing his job!

Boycey

Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2020, 12:50:35 PM

That's where I'm talking about common sense and simple game knowledge. From where the ball landed, where it was kicked, and how Henderson hit it, there's no way anyone who has ever wrapped his foot around the ball wouldn't see that as having had to go out of play.

Is this case not exactly the opposite to being a hostage to technology? Since.football began that decision would/should have have been made by the linesman. He's made a balls of it, referee is in no position to give a line ball. Goal stands whether right or wrong?

J70

Quote from: Boycey on December 07, 2020, 01:54:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2020, 12:50:35 PM

Is this case not exactly the opposite to being a hostage to technology? Since.football began that decision would/should have have been made by the linesman. He's made a balls of it, referee is in no position to give a line ball. Goal stands whether right or wrong?

I'm more talking about them falling back on VAR to sort it out, when VAR is clearly not set up to analyze sideline issues.

Yes, it was the linesman's fault, but surely the camera angles they had, IF they were going to rely on VAR, were still enough to aid in making the right decision? If it was simply "VAR doesn't give us a camera angle right up the line, so we can't make a decision", despite it being bleeding obvious to everyone that the ball went out, that's what I'm on about.

I realise I may be coming across as a little muddled!

Milltown Row2

Jesus let it go! These things tend to even themselves out over the season, besides it was a handy win in the end
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

As poor as they've looked at times this season - win their game in hand and they're just 2 points off the top!
That's just, like your opinion man.

NAG1

Quote from: Armamike on December 07, 2020, 03:00:45 PM
As poor as they've looked at times this season - win their game in hand and they're just 2 points off the top!

Which is a completely ridiculous situation.
I would imagine with the busy Christmas period it will start to sort out a few of those teams, including United unfortunately. However should they start to put some decent form together it could go the other way, who the hell knows.

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2020, 02:49:00 PM
Jesus let it go! These things tend to even themselves out over the season, besides it was a handy win in the end

Let WHAT go?

I don't give a bollocks about the result or the teams. From what I saw, United deserved it because they have players who can finish chances, while West Ham don't.

Its the incident itself and the failure to spot the issue that I'm talking about. Its on the United thread because it happened in their game. Maybe I should have posted it on the premier league thread.

You can put me on ignore for a couple of days if it bothers you.

Boycey

No Cavani or Martial with the travelling squad for Germany, leaves the squad very light up top...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2020, 03:08:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2020, 02:49:00 PM

Let WHAT go?

I don't give a bollocks about the result or the teams. From what I saw, United deserved it because they have players who can finish chances, while West Ham don't.

Its the incident itself and the failure to spot the issue that I'm talking about. Its on the United thread because it happened in their game. Maybe I should have posted it on the premier league thread.

You can put me on ignore for a couple of days if it bothers you.

There's also a VAR thread
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

The Pogba circus about to start again it appears.