2019 Allianz National Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 19, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Allianz Hurling League 2019, Roinn 1B
Fixtures from https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/hurling-league-roinn-1b/  [as of 8 Jan. 2019]

Saturday, 26 January
Round 1
Dublin v Carlow, at 19:00

Sunday, 27 January
Round 1
Galway v Laois, at 12:30
Waterford v Offaly, at 14:00

Sunday, 3 February
Round 2
Laois v Waterford, at 14:00
Carlow v Galway, at 14:00
Offaly v Dublin, at 14:00

Saturday, 16 February
Round 3
Laois v Offaly, at 19:00
Waterford v Carlow, at 19:00

Sunday, 17 February
Round 3
Galway v Dublin, at 14:00

Sunday, 24 February

Round 4
Offaly v Galway, at 13:00
Dublin v Waterford, at 14:00
Carlow v Laois, at 14:00

Sunday, 3 March

Round 5
Carlow v Offaly, at 14:00
Dublin v Laois, at 14:00
Waterford v Galway, at 14:00

Sunday, 10 March
Relegation Play-Off
5th Team 1B v 6th Team 1B
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

The games on 17th and 24th February will define our league status most likely. Probably played in muck weather.

Zooming around

Two groups of three really with two of Laois, Carlow and Offaly in the relegation final and Waterford, Dublin and Galway fighting it out for promotion.

Mossy Bruce

Any news on how the panel is shaping up for the upcoming league matches?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

What are posters thougts on having Galway and Waterford in the first two games? Will it work to our advantage as we wouldn't expect to get anything from either game and it's the games afterwards particularly Offaly and Carlow that matter. Is it better or does is make any difference who and when we play?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: redsetanta on January 22, 2019, 05:56:37 PM
What are posters thougts on having Galway and Waterford in the first two games? Will it work to our advantage as we wouldn't expect to get anything from either game and it's the games afterwards particularly Offaly and Carlow that matter. Is it better or does is make any difference who and when we play?

I'd rather be up against Offaly and Carlow first, since we would be injury-free and have a fighting chance against these two teams. I am really afraid of the hammering (both physically and morale-wise) that Laois is going to get from Galway and Waterford and the resulting condition our panel will be in when they hit the pitch to meet Offaly and Carlow.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

marty34

burdizzo

Scully, I'd say.
Good to see Evan Cuddy back in the fold, he was really good at minor but seems to have slipped off the radar a little since then. Lorcan Burke did well for Camross this year, and certainly has the physicality required.
Is Lee Cleere involved this year?

Mossy Bruce

'[Ill] Winds of change blow across hurling league'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/martin-breheny-winds-of-change-blow-across-hurling-league-37750833.html

"Division 1 alone has undergone no fewer than nine changes in the last 22 years and faces another one next season when Division 1 will be split into two groups of six which won't be decided by pecking order. Instead, they will supposedly be of equal status...

For illustration purposes, here's how the groups would have looked this year if the new system were in operation.

Group A: Tipperary, Clare, Wexford, Limerick, Offaly, Carlow.

Group B: Kilkenny, Galway, Cork, Waterford, Dublin, Laois.

The only real difference is that the so-called weaker trio are divided in a 2-1 split between the groups...[!!!]  :o

...It will leave the 9th-12th ranked counties facing some very heavy defeats. At least, under the current system, all three are in the same group, guaranteeing them two games against opposition of similar stature." [emphasis mine]

Splitting Laois, Offaly, and Carlow between two different groups within Division 1?!?!?
Who comes up with this sh!ite?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

I'm very nervous about tomorrow.
Watching the Mayo-Roscommon game this evening, there was an absolute gale blowing.

We could find it a long afternoon against physically dominant opposition.

Keyser Söze

Agree with Merman.
What to do with our own puckouts (which could number many) with and against the wind will be a huge issue.

All they can do is fight.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

I wasn't there but have already heard criticism of Laois for allowing Galway take short puckouts uncontested. I wasn't there, but in reality what were they supposed to do- play into Galway's hands and jump with them on our own half back line. Sometimes you have to be practical and realistic, even if it looks negative to the outside world. At least there was some thought put into it. Didn't see much evidence of that since Cheddar's time.

Not a huge margin and from a distance it looks an acceptable result and scoreline. Should hopefully draw a decent crowd next Sunday.
I'm sure Eddie doesn't need me to point out that conceding short puckouts to Waterford might not be the correct path.

Listened to Laois Today's Podcast the other day. They are doing great work, but could badly do with a "Hurling" journalist. One of them suggested that Laois dropping down to Division 2 next year might not be a bad thing and compared it to Laois football's mini revival since dropping to Division 4. There is a world of difference. There is feck all difference on any given day between Teams 7 & 17 in Gaelic Football. This is not the case in hurling. A drop down would see Laois returning even less well prepared for 1B that they are now. I know there is a restructure coming, but I still maintain this point.

Overall fair play for battling and putting up a decent score. Hang in there at home next week.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

The league restructure is to appease the top counties. They claim thst 1B is a better division to be in so they can experiment more during the league and you dont have to worry about relegation or go flat out until cship. If its preferrable to be in 1B then experiment away while in 1A. If relegated then you are in 1B which, according to 1A counties, is no big problem anyway.

Its the most pointless restructure ever.

They are forcing teams ranking 9-12 to play more teams that are 15+ points ahead of them. At the moment teams ranked 1-6 compete together and teams ranked 7-12 compete together. Its a league. It makes sense. The new proposal doesnt.