2019 Allianz National Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 19, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Don Draper on January 28, 2019, 11:33:17 PM

Because galway didn't try a leg

Waterford will

Yeah, they didn't appear to hold back on Offaly, yesterday.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 28, 2019, 11:44:26 PM

Waterford will

Yeah, they didn't appear to hold back on Offaly, yesterday.

This time last year Galway only beat us by 7 points with far more of their starting 15 than last Sunday. Hard to read into it too much. Would be great if we can limit the damage next Sunday by more than Offaly did and then we have 3 right good games against Carlow, Offaly and Dublin, the first 2 in particular. Carlow had jumped well ahead of us in hurling and beaten us convincingly the last two times we played them. Offaly and ourselves are realistically at about the same level for the last year so it would be great if we could get something out of those two games. Injuries and availability will have a big part to play.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 28, 2019, 10:23:26 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 28, 2019, 10:05:49 PM
...I agree that Waterford could be a bigger problem.
I'm going plead ignorance--why might Waterford be more of a problem than Galway? More top-notch veteran players available to play next Sunday than Galway had yesterday?

Waterford will

Extremely unfair on the players who lined out last week. As I already said this was a team packed with AI winners at all levels. I say this regardless of the score line next Sunday.

Let's not go back down the road of jerking off at every thing that happens in one code in this county & turning our nose up at the other. It went on for far too long.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 29, 2019, 09:48:26 AM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 28, 2019, 10:23:26 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 28, 2019, 10:05:49 PM
...I agree that Waterford could be a bigger problem.
I'm going plead ignorance--why might Waterford be more of a problem than Galway? More top-notch veteran players available to play next Sunday than Galway had yesterday?

Waterford will

Extremely unfair on the players who lined out last week. As I already said this was a team packed with AI winners at all levels. I say this regardless of the score line next Sunday.

Let's not go back down the road of jerking off at every thing that happens in one code in this county & turning our nose up at the other. It went on for far too long.
I'm not being unfair, I don't doubt our players did their utmost, and I would never seek to cast aspersions on any of them who take on the unenviable task of playing for Laois against a top side like Galway. But Galway gave the league little or no truck last year, and I very much doubt they are this year either. They'll do enough, but I suspect that will be it.

Waterford are under a new manager and are in a much different position to Galway. This is a massive year for them and I anticipate they'll go flat out for every game.

And to set the record straight, I've never jerked off over a Laois player or code. Although I will admit I got a bit of a semi when Tommy Fitz scored that goal against Galway in O'Moore Park, but that is about it.

Keyser Söze

We are all aware that Galway are on a different level to Laois.
We are all aware that Galway weren't at full tilt.
Laois played a top 2 opposition on Sunday (short a load from last year) and competed decently at times.

If you want to be fair and objective you should probably point out on another thread that Laois footballers played a team outside of the top 20 (short a load from last year) and just about won.

Blind negativity on one hand and unequivocal positive on the other. Seems to be an agenda at work.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 29, 2019, 11:06:17 AM
We are all aware that Galway are on a different level to Laois.
We are all aware that Galway weren't at full tilt.
Laois played a top 2 opposition on Sunday (short a load from last year) and competed decently at times.

If you want to be fair and objective you should probably point out on another thread that Laois footballers played a team outside of the top 20 (short a load from last year) and just about won.

Blind negativity on one hand and unequivocal positive on the other. Seems to be an agenda at work.
No agenda whatsoever. It gives me no sexual gratification either, just to clarify.

Mossy Bruce

From "No light at the end of the tunnel for Offaly after latest defeat"
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/no-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-for-offaly-after-latest-defeat-37759569.html

"They [Offaly] are looking at a tough spring with Dublin coming to Tullamore this weekend before a game against Laois in round three.

'I [Brian Carroll, former captain for Offaly] know you can say we're not concentrating on these games, it's all about the Laois game, it's all about the Laois game.'"
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 29, 2019, 09:35:35 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/no-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-for-offaly-after-latest-defeat-37759569.html

"They [Offaly] are looking at a tough spring with Dublin coming to Tullamore this weekend before a game against Laois in round three.

'I [Brian Carroll, former captain for Offaly] know you can say we're not concentrating on these games, it's all about the Laois game, it's all about the Laois game.'"

Wonder what he means by that in the context of Carlow. Is he imagining that they will beat Carlow and then it is about beating Laois? Of the two teams, I think Carlow are a more difficult prospect than Offaly however each will require a big performance from Laois.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 30, 2019, 11:16:57 AM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 29, 2019, 09:35:35 PM

Wonder what he means by that in the context of Carlow. Is he imagining that they will beat Carlow and then it is about beating Laois? Of the two teams, I think Carlow are a more difficult prospect than Offaly however each will require a big performance from Laois.
Our record against Carlow is utterly shite in recent years.

burdizzo

Carlow will be very hard to beat; they have way more physicality and 'fire in the belly' than Laois have had lately. Remarkable that a county w/ less than half the adult hurling teams we have has overtaken us in the pecking order.
Nothing between Laois and Offaly. Perhaps Carroll was assuming those two would be in the relegation final - I mean, he did say it twice!!?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: burdizzo on January 30, 2019, 01:49:40 PM
Carlow will be very hard to beat; they have way more physicality and 'fire in the belly' than Laois have had lately. Remarkable that a county w/ less than half the adult hurling teams we have has overtaken us in the pecking order.
Nothing between Laois and Offaly. Perhaps Carroll was assuming those two would be in the relegation final - I mean, he did say it twice!!?

The Carlow story is remarkable alright but no surprise. They beat two of the best U21 sides we have had in years in consecutive years recently, and MLR won Leinster a few years back. Carlow are probably too small to always be a 'power' but they certainly have a crop of fine hurlers at the moment. As well as hunger and more physicality than us, their first touch and skill levels are a cut above what our own has been in the last year.

Keyser Söze

It took Offaly a long time to regard Laois as at their level. I don't know if they have made that step with Carlow yet!