Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

That's uncalled for , not that mick would give a shite what some rude b oll ix on here says but dont see why you should be allowed get away with personal insults.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Duine Eile

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 05, 2018, 10:23:35 AM
No championship games in Galway prior to the Mayo game.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/galway-to-get-clear-run-at-mayo-as-club-action-delayed-469124.html

Is their senior championship this weekend in Mayo?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/full-house-signs-being-prepared-five-weeks-before-mayogalway-showdown-36776364.html

Capacity at 28,000 in McHale Park, must be a fair chance of getting close to that next month.

That article is slightly misleading given that the championship in Galway has started mid May for as long as I can remember, it's just this year the Galway Mayo game is about a month earlier than normal. Better off starting it as late as possible anyway seeing as there's no games for July and most of August. There's 2 or 3 rounds of league action this month to keep the clubs going.

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 04, 2018, 09:45:38 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 09:28:11 AM
Quote from: galwayman on April 04, 2018, 09:13:44 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 03, 2018, 11:20:07 PM
Aidan O'Shea to full back?
Not a chance.
Harrison or Higgins I would think will pick Comer up.
Or possibly Barrett who has played in the fb line in the past.

I'd say Barrett is their best bet.

Vaughan maybe an option

If he can keep the head. Doubt Barrett would get ruffled at all.

westbound

Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2018, 11:27:07 AM
Cant fathom ground capacity stuff at all, stand is 10k,so thats saying its only what 6k in other three ends , lets guess 7k in albany and bacon factory end with 5k on the other side . Wtf like how do health and safety come to these figures is it based on all patrons been 30stone , 8ft tall and 4ft wide.

Ground capacity is not just based on how many can actually fit on the terraces.

I don't know specifically about mchale park, but there are lots of other factors taken into consideration.

For example
- access into the stadium (including number of turnstiles, access roads etc.)
- Exits (how quickly can the stadium be emptied in case of an emergency)
- No. of toilet facilities (there is a formula that all stadia, racecourses etc. must meet (I can't remember the formula but it was x number of male toilets per 1000 people and y number of female toilets per 1000 people)

Incidents such as hillsborough and the bradford fire in the UK are very much to the forefront of the safety guys when they are calculating capacities.

I'm not saying that they get the capacities correct, but there is a lot more to it than just how big the terrace is!

And I'd suggest they know a LOT more about it than me!

larryin89

Fair enough I understand but still think its a bit ridiculous.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

galwayman

Quote from: Duine Eile on April 05, 2018, 11:44:23 AM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/galway-to-get-clear-run-at-mayo-as-club-action-delayed-469124.html

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/full-house-signs-being-prepared-five-weeks-before-mayogalway-showdown-36776364.html

Capacity at 28,000 in McHale Park, must be a fair chance of getting close to that next month.

That article is slightly misleading given that the championship in Galway has started mid May for as long as I can remember, it's just this year the Galway Mayo game is about a month earlier than normal. Better off starting it as late as possible anyway seeing as there's no games for July and most of August. There's 2 or 3 rounds of league action this month to keep the clubs going.
It's totally misleading. Hogan Stand also states that club championship has been "postponed" until after the Mayo game.
It hadn't been fixed for prior to that game in the first place.
Championship always starts somewhere between mid May and the end of May.
It started on the weekend of 13th May last year.

larryin89

Ahh lads will ye shtop , trying to convince yourselves this game is not a big one for Galway . Its massive , honestly thats the truth. Wouldnt be surprised if Corofin are just nominated for 18 so as the whole county can just focus on may 13th.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on April 05, 2018, 01:47:27 PM

It's totally misleading. Hogan Stand also states that club championship has been "postponed" until after the Mayo game.

April was supposed to be the month for clubs, though..

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2018, 02:26:54 PM

True true. There are a good number of league games being played in April I think.
Personally I'd prefer if the championship started in April.
Just has never been the way in Galway up to now at any rate.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: galwayman on April 05, 2018, 02:30:44 PM

True true. There are a good number of league games being played in April I think.

How many club league games has Galway county players played this year and when will the club championship start now?

Duine Eile

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 05, 2018, 02:56:11 PM

How many club league games has Galway county players played this year and when will the club championship start now?

I think some lower divisions may have played a round of league games already but division 1 gets started this weekend, I'm presuming the county players will play but you never know. championship is starting weekend after Mayo game, 19th/20th May which has usually been the weekend it gets started, the last few years anyway.  To be honest I don't see any point in starting it any earlier when it drags on until October even if April is officially for clubs.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 05, 2018, 02:56:11 PM

First round of the club championship is the weekend after Mayo v Galway. It's often the weekend after Galway's first game if Galway have a Connacht championship match in May.

Division 3 and 4 of the league played some games last weekend but division 1 and 2 have their first games this weekend and are out again the following weekend.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.