Missing Thread

Started by magickingdom, February 06, 2008, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I'm not so sure that starting a thread gives anyone the right to censor every other poster's contribution, or potential contribution to the thread by deciding to lock it or worse, delete it at a whim. I'm not saying His Holiness did it at a whim in this case. I'm stating the general case. I don't think I subscribe to the convention that a thread is owned by its originator at all. I think the privilege given to thread originators of locking or deleting threads is open to abuse (again - disclaimer - I'm referring to the general case) and, at the very least, should only be used in exceptional circumstances. Even then, I suggest it would be good practice to announce a locking or deletion in advance.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2008, 11:26:09 AM
I'm not so sure that starting a thread gives anyone the right to censor every other poster's contribution, or potential contribution to the thread by deciding to lock it or worse, delete it at a whim. I'm not saying His Holiness did it at a whim in this case. I'm stating the general case. I don't think I subscribe to the convention that a thread is owned by its originator at all. I think the privilege given to thread originators of locking or deleting threads is open to abuse (again - disclaimer - I'm referring to the general case) and, at the very least, should only be used in exceptional circumstances. Even then, I suggest it would be good practice to announce a locking or deletion in advance.

True Hardy, and I wouldnt delete without a good reason. Nor would I obect to the function which gives the thread starter the right to delete being removed. But as long as its there, people will use it if they feel nescessary.

Incdentally, I did post on the thread giving my reasons for locking it about in advance of locking up.
I left it up for a few hours before deleting it also. It didnt just vanish into thin air.
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

Is the original Missing Thread missing?
Testing Accessibility

magickingdom

hh,
what you did was delete a thread because you did not like the way it was going, thats censorship. that is the antithesis of internet discussion boards.