sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 10:31:37 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 27, 2018, 10:04:38 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 09:30:23 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 06:18:07 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 01:38:38 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 27, 2018, 01:24:32 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 01:21:07 PM
I'd say the GAA has nothing to lose if the Irish Government decide to prioritise multi-use facilities as that would mean the likes of Tolka park as mentioned earlier would need developed to facilitate the largest sport played competitively on this island being Gaelic Games and I don't mean sticking a set of GAA goal posts at either end of a soccer or rugby sized pitch.

So we should amend the rules so?

/Jim.

I'd have no problems with that.

Would the owners of Tolka park or a Wesley College like to be told, no grants unless such facilities can accomodate gaelic  games?

I can only see win win for the GAA.
Could you flesh out this proposal?

You're saying the GAA should pay to buy up the properties around Tolka Park in order to demolish them for a "multi-purpose" stadium nobody needs?

Yes?

Are you proposing they pay to divert the River Tolka too? Because that would also need to happen in order to install a GAA-length pitch there.

If tolka isn't suitable to be used as a multi functional stadium then no government funds, simples.

If the stick used to beat the GAA up is that government funding was pumped into a stadium not being used for other sports and the threat of not funding Navan for the same reasons then its only fair those same rules apply to all sporting organisations looking government funding.

Do you think Louth GAA should be allowed to use this new stadium in Drogheda?
Tolka is multi functional. Isnt rugby played there?
The issue is, as you know, the ban and its compatibility with state aid and competition law.

The idea that every sport can be played in every venue the state gives a geant to is so impractical you are being delivmberately obtuse.

It's not strictly multi functional if it can't accommodate one of the most popular field games in Ireland, is that not a fair statement to make?
Why should the IRFU, the FAI and their affiliated clubs get away scot free on the multi functional requirement because their pitch requirements are less?

I am being obtuse but its in response to the stick being used to beat the GAA accepting government aid for stadium development irrespective of the ban which I hope is rescinded in some form.

Taking that logic to the nth degree means that Tolka and Drogheda shouldn't get government aid as they too won't meet this multi functional criteria being bandied about.

If you don't agree with that criteria being used for all applications   then you can't complain about a rule that the GAA have had for decades wrt the use of their own property.

I wish the Millers all the best in their fundraising endeavours.

Cork GAA have put themselves in a huge debt underwritten by Croke park so it's only right their rules are respected and due process is followed.

The GAA were only too happy to receive €60m in 2001 with the string attached to it that they would keep Rule 42 so as to faciliate Bertie Ahern's Vanity Bowl project.

Maybe the FAI and the IRFU could both get whatever the interest-adjusted 2018 equivalent of that 2001 €60m is, in order to keep their stadiums shut to GAA?

Seems fair to me.

Rossfan

They got €190m for a Stadium that is shut to "GAA" as you incorrectly call Hurling and Gaelic Football.
So the Brigíns and Sids of this world want no State grants to the GAA unless they let soccer and rugby be played in the grounds getting the aid but OK to give State aid to Rugby and Soccer and no requirement to have Gaelic games there.

I wonder if Louth CC approached Louth Co Board offering them a free site for a new Stadium?
Or to jointly build one on the taxpayers land with the FAI?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Well done to all!

As it looks like this will happen.

There is no losers here.

Everybody is a winner.

Time for the GAA to open up stadia to special large crowd events over the off season and make a few quid and put the money to good use.

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2018, 11:48:01 PM
They got €190m for a Stadium that is shut to "GAA" as you incorrectly call Hurling and Gaelic Football.
So the Brigíns and Sids of this world want no State grants to the GAA unless they let soccer and rugby be played in the grounds getting the aid but OK to give State aid to Rugby and Soccer and no requirement to have Gaelic games there.

I wonder if Louth CC approached Louth Co Board offering them a free site for a new Stadium?
I never said that I don't think the GAA should get grant aid for stadium redevelopment.

I think the GAA should abolish Rule 42 ASAP because it belongs to a dinosaur mindset which might have been understandable 100 years ago, but not since.

It makes the GAA look like a small, petty minded organisation.

Rossfan

We decide who can use our property is small minded and out of date?
OK.
Next time I and family go to Galway we want your house for the weekend.
You'll hardly be small minded and old fashioned by not letting us have it???

manfromdelmonte

Any club once it receives significant public funding should be available to other organisations to hire.
Simple as.

And I include private schools in South Dublin in that

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2018, 12:21:04 AM
OK.
Read the first line of your post back to yourself.

Rule 42 denies GAA units that very right.

Those in Cork GAA want to give the use of their stadium to others, like Ulster Rugby did for the Anto Finnegan game.

But the likes of you don't want to let them, you want your backward ideology to be imposed on everybody else, just like the No campaign in the 8th Amendment referendum.

As for the rest of your post, please try and come up with analogies that actually function as analogies, rather than merely as a showcase for your defiant ignorance.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2018, 11:48:01 PM

I never said that. And its not 'shut' to GAA in the sense its not shut to canoing or rock climbing.

My point is twofold.

1. Its unfair that Croker as an asset can be used for anything at any time, but struggling clubs get fined for renting tbe astro to the neighbours. But we have no oroblem rentunf their facilities. It needs to be looked at

2. Taking that much money from the state and refusing to allow a charity game for a week was morally repugnant, strategically moronic and anti community. The tacking on of a GAA component has gone down like a sh1te sandwich. We used to be led exceptionally well. Recently is one debacle after another.

But you just carry on ignoring that and put words in my mouth

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 28, 2018, 12:30:35 AM
Any club once it receives significant public funding should be available to other organisations to hire.
Simple as.

And I include private schools in South Dublin in that
The latter is to be fair. It stank, but amyone can rent it

Rossfan

Quote from: sid waddell on July 28, 2018, 12:34:36 AM
OK.

Those in Cork GAA want to give the use of their stadium to others, like Ulster Rugby did for the Anto Finnegan game.

But the likes of you don't want to let them, you want your backward ideology to be imposed on everybody else, just like the No campaign in the 8th Amendment referendum.

As for the rest of your post, please try and come up with analogies that actually function as analogies, rather than merely as a showcase for your defiant ignorance.
The old personal abuse so beloved of those who think themselves modern "liberals".
A case if "You don't  agree with me therefore you're ignorant, backward, dinosaur. ...etc etc"

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2018, 12:48:41 AM
OK.

The old personal abuse so beloved of those who think themselves modern "liberals".
A case if "You don't  agree with me therefore you're ignorant, backward, dinosaur. ...etc etc"

Quit while you're behind.

Keyser soze

You two lads still on here spouting your faux outrage whilst not putting ur hand in your own pocket to support something u cherish so deeply. The type of lads hiding behind the sofa when they hear there's ticket sellers doing the rounds for some club.

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2018, 12:48:41 AM
OK.

The old "play the victim" card when your "argument" gets destroyed.

The go to card of the Trump/Brexit swivel-eyed loons.

When you post, one could almost be reading a much less articulate version of John Waters - and I make the comparison not to one of his Irish Times columns from back in the day but to his expletive-laden rant on Eamon Dunphy's podcast a couple of months ago.

Keyser soze

Rossfan

I see I've joined the "destroyed" now as well😀
Must be saying something right so.