Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 06:03:52 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 11:42:46 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 11:12:48 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 11:01:57 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 10:01:00 AM
We've had a lot of "backlash" against Duff's comments but still nothing of substance to dispute the accuracy of them.

If I wanted "backlash" which doesn't deal with reality, I'd read a Daily Mail comment section.

Sid, if a doctor sat you down and said, "You're absolutely f*cked, it's terminal cancer", would you take issue with his tone and language or would you say, "Thank you for accurately informing me that I am going to die!"
You want Damien Duff to speak like an oncologist?

Why on earth would you want him to do that?

And why the deflection?

The reason association football and rugby are not allowed to be played at GAA venues, while concerts, American football and boxing are allowed to take place, is because association football and rugby are perceived to be "British" sports.

Let's not beat around the bush - that is the reason. Because they are "British".

I'd love somebody to explain to me how that isn't a dinosaur attitude. Nobody has yet even had a go at doing so.

It's not deflection.
You can't seem to grasp why people are annoyed with Duff.
Plenty of individuals, both inside and outside the GAA, have made the same point as him, but they didn't use the same aggressive tone and they didn't refer to 'f*cking dinosaurs'.
A significant number of 'gaelic people' interpreted Duff's comments as an attack on all of us, not just the hierarchy.
Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this because it seems to me you've adopted the somewhat disingenuous position of 'it only matters what you say, it doesn't matter how you say it'.
I can. It's because he's told a home truth that has touched a raw nerve.

It has touched a raw nerve because deep down, those complaining know it to be true.

But instead of accepting the truth of what he said, some people prefer to close ranks.

It's a classic case of denial.
I don't agree.
And as a negotiating tactic it is League of Ireland standard.

sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 01:38:38 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 27, 2018, 01:24:32 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 01:21:07 PM
I'd say the GAA has nothing to lose if the Irish Government decide to prioritise multi-use facilities as that would mean the likes of Tolka park as mentioned earlier would need developed to facilitate the largest sport played competitively on this island being Gaelic Games and I don't mean sticking a set of GAA goal posts at either end of a soccer or rugby sized pitch.

So we should amend the rules so?

/Jim.

I'd have no problems with that.

Would the owners of Tolka park or a Wesley College like to be told, no grants unless such facilities can accomodate gaelic  games?

I can only see win win for the GAA.
Could you flesh out this proposal?

You're saying the GAA should pay to buy up the properties around Tolka Park in order to demolish them for a "multi-purpose" stadium nobody needs?

Yes?

Are you proposing they pay to divert the River Tolka too? Because that would also need to happen in order to install a GAA-length pitch there.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on July 27, 2018, 06:12:30 PM
We've had a lot of "backlash" against Duff's comments but still nothing of substance to dispute the accuracy of them.

If I wanted "backlash" which doesn't deal with reality, I'd read a Daily Mail comment section.

Sid, if a doctor sat you down and said, "You're absolutely f*cked, it's terminal cancer", would you take issue with his tone and language or would you say, "Thank you for accurately informing me that I am going to die!"

And why the deflection?

The reason association football and rugby are not allowed to be played at GAA venues, while concerts, American football and boxing are allowed to take place, is because association football and rugby are perceived to be "British" sports.

Let's not beat around the bush - that is the reason. Because they are "British".

I'd love somebody to explain to me how that isn't a dinosaur attitude. Nobody has yet even had a go at doing so.

It's not deflection.
Plenty of individuals, both inside and outside the GAA, have made the same point as him, but they didn't use the same aggressive tone and they didn't refer to 'f*cking dinosaurs'.
A significant number of 'gaelic people' interpreted Duff's comments as an attack on all of us, not just the hierarchy.
Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this because it seems to me you've adopted the somewhat disingenuous position of 'it only matters what you say, it doesn't matter how you say it'.

It has touched a raw nerve because deep down, those complaining know it to be true.

But instead of accepting the truth of what he said, some people prefer to close ranks.

I don't agree.
It's not a negotiating tactic.

It's somebody being asked a question and giving an opinion, an opinion that is objectively correct.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on July 27, 2018, 06:12:30 PM

And why the deflection?

It's not deflection.

I don't agree.
What makes you think its a negotiation tactic as opposed to his sincerely held opinion?

Rossfan

If Central Council gives this event the go ahead at kea st 50% of the soccer crowd will be disgusted.
Talking of Cork things -I wonder has Brigín and my thoughts on the Hurling semi final?
Great to see bullshitter Syf called out again -this time on making a donation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2018, 06:47:25 PM
If Central Council gives this event the go ahead at kea st 50% of the soccer crowd will be disgusted.
Talking of Cork things -I wonder has Brigín and my thoughts on the Hurling semi final?
Great to see bullshitter Syf called out again -this time on making a donation.
Thats paranoid to an alarming degree.

Of course i do. Limerick by 10.

larryin89

Duffs comments have got my back up I have to admit and now Shane Ross in on the act I hear .

How about fook off and mind your own .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

trailer

From the Jaws of victory, Soccer has managed to extract defeat. If only Duff and Kenny had a wee bit of manners...

A win all round for the GAA.

mrdeeds

Talk it's going ahead with a Gaelic football game before hand and a percentage going to an injured players fund.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 08:20:20 PM
From the Jaws of victory, Soccer has managed to extract defeat. If only Duff and Kenny had a wee bit of manners...

You are deluding yourself.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 27, 2018, 08:40:51 PM

You are deluding yourself.

Au contriaire

trailer

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 27, 2018, 08:28:53 PM
Talk it's going ahead with a Gaelic football game before hand and a percentage going to an injured players fund.

A very worthy cause, which will make a real difference. Iontach maith.

omaghjoe

men in tracksuits

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 06:18:07 PM
I'd say the GAA has nothing to lose if the Irish Government decide to prioritise multi-use facilities as that would mean the likes of Tolka park as mentioned earlier would need developed to facilitate the largest sport played competitively on this island being Gaelic Games and I don't mean sticking a set of GAA goal posts at either end of a soccer or rugby sized pitch.

/Jim.

Would the owners of Tolka park or a Wesley College like to be told, no grants unless such facilities can accomodate gaelic  games?

You're saying the GAA should pay to buy up the properties around Tolka Park in order to demolish them for a "multi-purpose" stadium nobody needs?

Yes?

Are you proposing they pay to divert the River Tolka too? Because that would also need to happen in order to install a GAA-length pitch there.

If tolka isn't suitable to be used as a multi functional stadium then no government funds, simples.

If the stick used to beat the GAA up is that government funding was pumped into a stadium not being used for other sports and the threat of not funding Navan for the same reasons then its only fair those same rules apply to all sporting organisations looking government funding.

Do you think Louth GAA should be allowed to use this new stadium in Drogheda?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 09:30:23 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 06:18:07 PM

/Jim.

Yes?

If tolka isn't suitable to be used as a multi functional stadium then no government funds, simples.

If the stick used to beat the GAA up is that government funding was pumped into a stadium not being used for other sports and the threat of not funding Navan for the same reasons then its only fair those same rules apply to all sporting organisations looking government funding.

Do you think Louth GAA should be allowed to use this new stadium in Drogheda?
Tolka is multi functional. Isnt rugby played there?
The issue is, as you know, the ban and its compatibility with state aid and competition law.

The idea that every sport can be played in every venue the state gives a geant to is so impractical you are being delivmberately obtuse.