Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 11:12:48 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 11:01:57 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 27, 2018, 10:01:00 AM
We've had a lot of "backlash" against Duff's comments but still nothing of substance to dispute the accuracy of them.

If I wanted "backlash" which doesn't deal with reality, I'd read a Daily Mail comment section.

Sid, if a doctor sat you down and said, "You're absolutely f*cked, it's terminal cancer", would you take issue with his tone and language or would you say, "Thank you for accurately informing me that I am going to die!"
You want Damien Duff to speak like an oncologist?

Why on earth would you want him to do that?

And why the deflection?

The reason association football and rugby are not allowed to be played at GAA venues, while concerts, American football and boxing are allowed to take place, is because association football and rugby are perceived to be "British" sports.

Let's not beat around the bush - that is the reason. Because they are "British".

I'd love somebody to explain to me how that isn't a dinosaur attitude. Nobody has yet even had a go at doing so.
They aren't British any more. Sean O'Brien is not British.
The sports are in competition with each other. There is no joined up sports policy either because the State is quite weak.

The dinosaurs became extinct. So did a few League of Ireland clubs.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

We've had a lot of "backlash" against Duff's comments but still nothing of substance to dispute the accuracy of them.

If I wanted "backlash" which doesn't deal with reality, I'd read a Daily Mail comment section.

Sid, if a doctor sat you down and said, "You're absolutely f*cked, it's terminal cancer", would you take issue with his tone and language or would you say, "Thank you for accurately informing me that I am going to die!"

And why the deflection?

The reason association football and rugby are not allowed to be played at GAA venues, while concerts, American football and boxing are allowed to take place, is because association football and rugby are perceived to be "British" sports.

Let's not beat around the bush - that is the reason. Because they are "British".

I'd love somebody to explain to me how that isn't a dinosaur attitude. Nobody has yet even had a go at doing so.

It's not deflection.
You can't seem to grasp why people are annoyed with Duff.
Plenty of individuals, both inside and outside the GAA, have made the same point as him, but they didn't use the same aggressive tone and they didn't refer to 'f*cking dinosaurs'.
A significant number of 'gaelic people' interpreted Duff's comments as an attack on all of us, not just the hierarchy.
Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this because it seems to me you've adopted the somewhat disingenuous position of 'it only matters what you say, it doesn't matter how you say it'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

If you want dinosaurs check out SOME of the soccer types in Athlone or Sligo Town ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 11:42:46 AM

And why the deflection?

It's not deflection.
You can't seem to grasp why people are annoyed with Duff.
Plenty of individuals, both inside and outside the GAA, have made the same point as him, but they didn't use the same aggressive tone and they didn't refer to 'f*cking dinosaurs'.
A significant number of 'gaelic people' interpreted Duff's comments as an attack on all of us, not just the hierarchy.
Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this because it seems to me you've adopted the somewhat disingenuous position of 'it only matters what you say, it doesn't matter how you say it'.
You say interpreted. I say decided to become offended to change the narrative. He could have worded it better, but is obvious who he was criticising and why. Miller was his friend and teamate and he is involved in the game. Don't patronise us by pretending you don't get his anger and by putting words in his mouth.

Jinxy

Again, are you addressing that comment specifically to me, i.e. 'don't patronise us'?
Also, what words did I put in his mouth?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

I think fixating on Duff is counter-productive and I have literally no sympathy for any GAA member who is offended by it while the GAA bumble their way towards proving him right. This horrible nonsense is still on-going.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 12:48:22 PM
Again, are you addressing that comment specifically to me, i.e. 'don't patronise us'?
that his dinosaur comment was directed at the entire  GAA. It clearly wasn't. You are chosing to be outraged to push the conversation away from the GAA. Not has he a point/is that how the rest of the world see us, instead its how dare he. And profound ignorance about him being a pundit follows.

Meanwhile the story continues. And Damien Duff aint the villian

johnnycool

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 27, 2018, 11:32:33 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on July 27, 2018, 11:27:25 AM
I will have a bash at it so.

We are in direct competition with soccer and rugby. We don't want to give them a leg up by providing them with first class facilities that our volunteers, through dint of hard work, have managed to provide for our players ans supporters to avail of, whilst the professional sports, who are quick to sneer at us for being backward,  have not a pot to piss in.

We are not in direct competition with Prince or Neil Diamond so much.

So it is about best promoting our sports, rather than a point of principle? 

If then the Irish government follows through on it's policy paper of prioritizing multi-use facilities and the rule becomes disadvantageous then we change it?

/Jim.

I'd say the GAA has nothing to lose if the Irish Government decide to prioritise multi-use facilities as that would mean the likes of Tolka park as mentioned earlier would need developed to facilitate the largest sport played competitively on this island being Gaelic Games and I don't mean sticking a set of GAA goal posts at either end of a soccer or rugby sized pitch.

On the Liam Miller fund raiser I think it will go ahead in Páirc Uí Chaoimh and the GAA will take a PR battering either way.

Not sure what Damian Duff's issue is though. If he's concerned that the Miller family and the hospice will lose out then he and his multi millionaire mates can dig a bit deeper into those very deep pockets as we all know charity begins at home Damo.

Manners are easy carried.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 01:21:07 PM
I'd say the GAA has nothing to lose if the Irish Government decide to prioritise multi-use facilities as that would mean the likes of Tolka park as mentioned earlier would need developed to facilitate the largest sport played competitively on this island being Gaelic Games and I don't mean sticking a set of GAA goal posts at either end of a soccer or rugby sized pitch.

So we should amend the rules so?

/Jim.

weareros

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 27, 2018, 01:07:54 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2018, 12:48:22 PM
that his dinosaur comment was directed at the entire  GAA. It clearly wasn't. You are chosing to be outraged to push the conversation away from the GAA. Not has he a point/is that how the rest of the world see us, instead its how dare he. And profound ignorance about him being a pundit follows.

Meanwhile the story continues. And Damien Duff aint the villian

I think what you will find is that the guard often slips with the soccer fraternity towards the GAA, like the FAI officials singing on the bus when they qualified for the World Cup: "You can shove your GAA up your..." The "Dinosaur" insult is frequently thrown at GAA members, which is why you would expect a Damien Duff to be more circumspect in his use of language. I don't know of any GAA supporter that considers soccer a British game. Most GAA supporters tend to enjoy a wide variety of sports including soccer and I would say 99.9% want this game in PUC. The GAA will of course approve it. There has no need for all the insults to be flying or the dramatics from prima donna soccer stars and lowgrade hacks in the media... they talk about tax and never about the contribution of the GAA to economy, local business, to providing healthy activities for the young people when the state failed in this duty. It was a game originally organised for a soccer stadium and it felt like the insults started flying fairly quickly. Would you expect Wembley or MetLife stadium or any other stadia around the world to be approved immediately in similar circumstances? The GAA ultimately approved only Croke Park so that pressure would not be put on GAA grounds around the country from competitive games, which is why this has been delayed. We have seen now what pressure can look like and it is quite ugly.

Syferus

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 27, 2018, 01:24:32 PM

/Jim.

Absolutely destroyed.

johnnycool

/Jim.

I'd have no problems with that.

Would the owners of Tolka park or a Wesley College like to be told, no grants unless such facilities can accomodate gaelic  games?

I can only see win win for the GAA.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2018, 01:38:38 PM

/Jim.

Would the owners of Tolka park or a Wesley College like to be told, no grants unless such facilities can accomodate gaelic  games?

No Johnnycool, you were...

Absolutely destroyed! according to the Syf that is
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 27, 2018, 01:45:19 PM

/Jim.

No Johnnycool, you were...

Absolutely destroyed! according to the Syf that is

Was I?

How am I meant to react, it's all new to me this getting destroyed malarkey.

Should I log off and lie down in a darkened room? For how long?

Can you offer me advise MR2 as you get destroyed regularly on here?  ;D

Jim_Murphy_74

I think where it can be done, yes.  Of course the problem lies in expecting a government department to continue their joined up thinking beyond a white-paper.

I don't think for example that IRFU/FAI should have been let off the hook so easy when Aviva plans were amended.  However given the GAA rules at the time (not withstanding the one-off opening of Croker) they were not in a position of strength.

I think the GAA rules held them back when pushing for Tallaght to be a municipal stadium.  Hard to argue for access when you could not offer a quid pro-quo. Boy did the SRFC crew latch on to it.  If the rules were amended that crowd of hooligans could have been shown up for what they were.

As I said earlier in this thread I strongly believe that Limerick should have both a 50K and 15K stadium shared between GAA and IRFU.  I think it would have been better for both IRFU and GAA.  It would also have been better use of tax-payers money.

So I believe you amend the rules and play a straight card in dealing with the consequences.

/Jim.