16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: sid waddell on July 25, 2018, 01:45:19 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 25, 2018, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 25, 2018, 01:15:47 PM
Quote from: TheClubman on July 25, 2018, 12:35:38 PM
The bottom line is - the rules do not allow it. And if we're suggesting rules should be broken when it suits us I'd suggest that's a large part of the problem with this country....everyone believes they're "an exception" or "a one-off" and should get favourable treatment. That's basically the system we're used to under FF/FG and co but it's not right.

I'd suggest the people who are outraged use their energy to put motions through GAA clubs and get the rules changed at congress. It's a long time since the old rule 42 was amended to allow rugby and soccer into Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped. I've seen or heard of no motion to further relax the rules being defeated. We can't have rule changes by media outcry. There's a process. For all its faults it has stood the GAA in good stead. The agenda can't be set by the news reel.
The rule is an ass. It always has been. It was an ass 20 years ago when the GAA made fools of themselves over the Omagh match and it is an ass now. It's an ass like "The Ban" was an ass.

What this needs is for people in Cork GAA to stand up and have a bit of courage and to take on and flagrantly break the rule. Let the GAA discipline them if they so wish. They'll just be proving Damien Duff 100% correct.

Read the statement from the club chairman in Wexford detailing how his club are constantly breaking the rules. Let the GAA go and discipline him and his club if they want to prove they are dinosaurs once and for all.

You say the gaa made a fool of themselves 20 years ago over Omagh. Did the soccer match not go ahead and there was issues over money going missing and very little if anything went to charity? On the other hand the gaa donated the full gate receipts from an All Ireland semi final replay which amounted to a substantial amount?
Of course the GAA made fools of themselves over Omagh. The match couldn't be played in Healy Park because of a backward rule which is an absolute embarrassment to the GAA.

Tyrone brought a motion the next year and it got nowhere.

This isn't about taxpayers' money, or what happened to charity money, or idiotic supermarket analogies.

It's about not being d**kheads.

It's about the complete stupidity of a rule that refuses to allow local GAA units and local communities to decide what is best for them and their communities.

Until the GAA as a whole admits the futility and stupidity of the rule, they will continue to be d**kheads.

When you consider what happened with the money from the "charity" game in Omagh you'd wonder how much benefit it would have been opening it up.

Who is this gaa that you keep calling dickheads? You do know that the gaa is made up of tens of thousands of members and clubs giving their time voluntarily to promote the sport. This includes thousands of hours keeping children active and providing them with multiple qualities including discipline.

So what if the gaa members don't want to promote rival sports. That is their prerogative. There is plenty of sports grounds around the country that gaa wouldn't be welcome in and it's not an issue. Other sports have put money into paying players (some potential gaa players) and boys like Delaney instead of having adequate facilities. Again that is up to them but you can't come crying to what is essentially a rival demanding the use of their facilities.

In terms of this game it probably should have gone ahead as I assume it is a genuine charity game. But you can't go round demanding the use of something that isn't yours.

Rossfan

Shamrock Rovers put FKN ZERO into Tallaght Stadium.
Damien Duff is a typical soccer freeloader.
I presume Sid and the Brigin Buck are making sizeable contributions to the fund?
Or is it just cheaper and more populist to engage in Gahbashing?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:39:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
"Hello, I want to use your house next weekend "
"I don't think I can let you have it"
"You're a fkn dinosaur"
Talk about scuppering you're chances!!!!
Thats special needs.

If the state paid you 40% of the build cost on the explicit understanding you share it one weekend a year, then yes, you are at fault

If I heard a 12 year old kid say that I'd tell him to grow up and cop himself on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 25, 2018, 01:57:59 PM
The bottom line is - the rules do not allow it. And if we're suggesting rules should be broken when it suits us I'd suggest that's a large part of the problem with this country....everyone believes they're "an exception" or "a one-off" and should get favourable treatment. That's basically the system we're used to under FF/FG and co but it's not right.

I'd suggest the people who are outraged use their energy to put motions through GAA clubs and get the rules changed at congress. It's a long time since the old rule 42 was amended to allow rugby and soccer into Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped. I've seen or heard of no motion to further relax the rules being defeated. We can't have rule changes by media outcry. There's a process. For all its faults it has stood the GAA in good stead. The agenda can't be set by the news reel.
The rule is an ass. It always has been. It was an ass 20 years ago when the GAA made fools of themselves over the Omagh match and it is an ass now. It's an ass like "The Ban" was an ass.

What this needs is for people in Cork GAA to stand up and have a bit of courage and to take on and flagrantly break the rule. Let the GAA discipline them if they so wish. They'll just be proving Damien Duff 100% correct.

Read the statement from the club chairman in Wexford detailing how his club are constantly breaking the rules. Let the GAA go and discipline him and his club if they want to prove they are dinosaurs once and for all.

You say the gaa made a fool of themselves 20 years ago over Omagh. Did the soccer match not go ahead and there was issues over money going missing and very little if anything went to charity? On the other hand the gaa donated the full gate receipts from an All Ireland semi final replay which amounted to a substantial amount?
Of course the GAA made fools of themselves over Omagh. The match couldn't be played in Healy Park because of a backward rule which is an absolute embarrassment to the GAA.

This isn't about taxpayers' money, or what happened to charity money, or idiotic supermarket analogies.

It's about the complete stupidity of a rule that refuses to allow local GAA units and local communities to decide what is best for them and their communities.

Until the GAA as a whole admits the futility and stupidity of the rule, they will continue to be d**kheads.

When you consider what happened with the money from the "charity" game in Omagh you'd wonder how much benefit it would have been opening it up.

Who is this gaa that you keep calling d**kheads? You do know that the gaa is made up of tens of thousands of members and clubs giving their time voluntarily to promote the sport. This includes thousands of hours keeping children active and providing them with multiple qualities including discipline.

So what if the gaa members don't want to promote rival sports. That is their prerogative. There is plenty of sports grounds around the country that gaa wouldn't be welcome in and it's not an issue. Other sports have put money into paying players (some potential gaa players) and boys like Delaney instead of having adequate facilities. Again that is up to them but you can't come crying to what is essentially a rival demanding the use of their facilities.

In terms of this game it probably should have gone ahead as I assume it is a genuine charity game. But you can't go round demanding the use of something that isn't yours.

1. What grounds are the GAA not welcome in?
2. You missed the bit where as a condition of funding the GAA agreed to allow these events.
3. Do you understand that the GAA for decades got every cent of public sports funding and still get most of it? Do you think thats a factor in the standards of facilities?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 02:02:33 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:39:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
"Hello, I want to use your house next weekend "
"I don't think I can let you have it"
"You're a fkn dinosaur"
Talk about scuppering you're chances!!!!
Thats special needs.

If the state paid you 40% of the build cost on the explicit understanding you share it one weekend a year, then yes, you are at fault

If I heard a 12 year old kid say that I'd tell him to grow up and cop himself on.
He made a braindead analogy and got called on it

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 02:01:12 PM
Shamrock Rovers put FKN ZERO into Tallaght Stadium.
Damien Duff is a typical soccer freeloader.
I presume Sid and the Brigin Buck are making sizeable contributions to the fund?
Or is it just cheaper and more populist to engage in Gahbashing?

Thats just not true. Im an active gaa volunteer and entitled to call management on a bad decision based on a bad strategy.

TheClubman

So we're to beleive a soccer club that went bankrupt several times (no doubt leaving plenty stung for casth) put a million euro of their own money into Tallaght Stadium? There's been some fanciful BS written on this and related threads but that takes the biscuit.

dec

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2018, 10:04:01 PM
The GAA has no policies/rates/procedures for renting out any ground other than Croke Park, let alone for hiring out to a committee who've little or no experience in running such an event.

They seem to have been able to rent Páirc Uí Chaoimh to Michael Jackson and Ed Sheeran.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 02:04:22 PM

Who is this gaa that you keep calling d**kheads? You do know that the gaa is made up of tens of thousands of members and clubs giving their time voluntarily to promote the sport. This includes thousands of hours keeping children active and providing them with multiple qualities including discipline.

2. You missed the bit where as a condition of funding the GAA agreed to allow these events.
3. Do you understand that the GAA for decades got every cent of public sports funding and still get most of it? Do you think thats a factor in the standards of facilities?

I'm not arguing with anyone who makes things up. Point 3 is so far from factual it's not even funny.

Syferus

Do you actually think the GAA doesn't hoover up a huge majority of grant money? :o

sid waddell

Who's demanding the use of Pairc Ui Chaoimh?

There is a wide acceptance in Cork across everybody, most importantly in the GAA community there, that the appropriate venue for this game is Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Can you name me one good reason why the GAA in Cork should not be allowed make the decision for themselves to offer the use of Pairc Ui Chaoimh for the game?

Can you tell me the difference between this game and the Michael Jackson, Prince or Oasis concerts at the venue, or holding American football in Croke Park?

Can you tell me the difference between the proposed Omagh charity game and Omagh GAA club renting out their hall for an Anthrax concert?

Can you name me one good reason why this rule which bans local GAA units and local communities from deciding what is best for themselves, should still be in place?

Can anybody actually offer a positive defence of the rule?

Can anybody say why it is not narrow minded?

Every single person who supports this rule is a d**khead, and rightly or wrongly it tarnishes the whole of the GAA as d**kheads by association until it goes.

Nobody has picked one hole in what Damien Duff said.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: TheClubman on July 25, 2018, 02:08:35 PM
So we're to beleive a soccer club that went bankrupt several times (no doubt leaving plenty stung for casth) put a million euro of their own money into Tallaght Stadium? There's been some fanciful BS written on this and related threads but that takes the biscuit.
Thats why they went bust. But i dont really care

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 25, 2018, 02:10:45 PM

I'm not arguing with anyone who makes things up. Point 3 is so far from factual it's not even funny.

The GAA get about 85% of capital grants in the 26, although that level is falling. Thats billions over the years.  Is this in dispute?

Are you jusr going to ignore 1 and 2?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 02:18:40 PM

The GAA get about 85% of capital grants in the 26, although that level is falling. Thats billions over the years.  Is this in dispute?
Any sources for this?
Nothing near that in the last few years anyway.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 02:18:40 PM

That's a big difference to sports funding including for example tax breaks.

Unreal too that in the past soccer and rugby etc got no capital funding at all. Fair play them for building the Aviva and Shamrock Rovers grounds etc without it.