Formal recognition for GPA by GAA

Started by Rawhide, November 21, 2009, 03:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Interesting to read Sean Cavanagh saying in yesterday's Irish Indo Championship supplement that his role as GPA secretary was merely as "a figurehead". He seems to forget that he was appointed a director of the GPMC Ltd on 19 May 2009, according to documents filed in the Companies Office.

The same article mentioned that Sean is a manager over 15 staff in an accountancy practice - presumably at least some part of his work involves advising clients on company law and directors' duties.  ::)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

boojangles

ONeill

Bud, any idea here - who was the spy?

What was the GAA magazine?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bud Wiser

I think it PROBABLY was Gaelic Life but I never heard or saw their magazine/paper or whatever it is.

BTW, nothing was said in anger by Mr Potts, from GPA about the GRL (Grass Roots Level) , just an observation that he had received more or less (I would say more) the same questions as I had mailed him at the time.  I had only disclosed the final draft to about six or seven posters -which in internet terms means about six or seven hundred thousand people ! ;)

Anyway, it don't matter now cause everyone on the board is fully supportive of the GPA - or - are blind to the fact that there is not a river in the island of Ireland that managers would not cross to get to a county to offer their services for free.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ONeill

I don't know Bud - there was an awful build up to this and it has gone flat strangely. How do you know the questions weren't received by the GPA long before you emailed anyone anything and how similar were the questions.....?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cornafean

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 26, 2010, 11:07:59 PM
I think it PROBABLY was Gaelic Life but I never heard or saw their magazine/paper or whatever it is.

BTW, nothing was said in anger by Mr Potts, from GPA about the GRL (Grass Roots Level) , just an observation that he had received more or less (I would say more) the same questions as I had mailed him at the time.  I had only disclosed the final draft to about six or seven posters -which in internet terms means about six or seven hundred thousand people ! ;)

At this stage, a few months down the road, I can't help wondering if there is more (or less) to this particular 'observation' than meets the eye? While I'm not for a moment doubting Sean Potts, it frankly sounds like something that the likes of Alasdair Campbell would come up with when dealing with 'unfriendly' media enquiries.

I certainly don't believe that any of the Gaelic Life journalists would have lifted content from this site, to use verbatim in correspondence with the GPA. While I can't prove this, I have read every issue of Gaelic Life in the past 12-18 months and I can't remember them publishing any '20 questions for the GPA'-type articles on the GPA accounts and similar themes that Bud and others have discussed here.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

THE Gaelic Players Association (GPA) look set for a significant windfall next week as it hosts one of its biggest events in its 13-year history in New York.

The first ever Ireland-US Gaelic Heritage Awards and Dinner Gala will honour Donald R Keough, the chairman of the board of Allen and Company Incorporated, and formerly president of Coca-Cola.

Keough's contribution to bringing foreign direct investment to Ireland, his involvement with the University of Notre Dame and the establishment of the Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies have ensured he will be the first recipient of the award.

The gala dinner, which will take place next Thursday in the Marriott Marquis just off Times Square, is a major departure for the GPA and will net significant revenue. With up to 500 guests expected to attend, the association could reap well in excess of €100,000.

It's being staged in conjunction with the GAA/GPA All Stars tour to the city.

The chairman of the event is Tipperary-born Declan Kelly, the current chief executive officer of Teneo Holdings, who has held a number of prominent business positions since moving to the US a decade ago. He was appointed US economic envoy to Northern Ireland in September 2009 by secretary of state Hillary Clinton.

Formerly a PR consultant in Dublin, he established a friendship with GPA chief executive Dessie Farrell in the embryonic days of the players' body and has provided advice on an ongoing basis. His company, Teneo, are the main sponsors of the event.

The GPA have established a North American advisory board and are hoping to bed down stronger roots in the US.

"As much as this is a fundraising event, it is also a chance to increase awareness of the games and the work we do. We've been conscious not to cut across the GAA locally in New York so we're trying to open up new avenues of support," said GPA head of communications Sean Potts.

The 2011 and 2012 All Star teams will attend.