Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 31, 2019, 10:33:12 AM
Everyone has to be mindful of the impact on morale if an U20 strolls in and leapfrogs a lad who had been loyally benchwarming all year. They might flesh out the training but not sure they'll get a lot of game time.

To be fair Canavan was involved in the panel for a large part of the year and was only released for the championship. I can't see too many others getting significant game time but a few may help freshen up the panel and training.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: under the bar on July 31, 2019, 10:35:20 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 31, 2019, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: skeog on July 31, 2019, 09:06:15 AM
Fantasy stuff if you believe Gormley against the Dublin midfield he would be heading to A&E.

Goes for any of them u20s to be honest.

Can you imagine Jonny Coopers eyes light up with a skinny Canavan strolling across to him?

Jonny Cooper is a bag of piss. One good slap would put manners on him

Wonder why nobody thought about taking that approach over the past five years to the arguable lynch pin of the Dublin defence.

I don't expect any of the u20s to get any time this year, for a start, they didn't even win anything so how good are they really? Canavan aside of course. Dublin aren't rushing to bring in Connolly for example, it would seem desperate to start throwing u20s to the wolves.

TyroneOnlooker

Can't see any of the u20s breaking into the senior team in any meaningful way in next couple of years. Maybe it's just the change from u21 to u20 but they look extremely light and would be eaten up in senior county football nowadays. Compare the physique of any Dublin Tyrone Donegal senior to any of the u20s, men v boys.
A few might be best served as squad/training fodder for a couple of years yet, building physique and benefiting from the training.

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 31, 2019, 10:49:34 AM
Fantasy stuff if you believe Gormley against the Dublin midfield he would be heading to A&E.

Can you imagine Jonny Coopers eyes light up with a skinny Canavan strolling across to him?

Wonder why nobody thought about taking that approach over the past five years to the arguable lynch pin of the Dublin defence.

I don't expect any of the u20s to get any time this year, for a start, they didn't even win anything so how good are they really? Canavan aside of course. Dublin aren't rushing to bring in Connolly for example, it would seem desperate to start throwing u20s to the wolves.

That trophy they got in Armagh a few weeks ago must have just been for the craic then.

And I don't think anyone is suggesting throwing several u20s straight into the mix apart from Canavan.  I don't see what harm it would do to have a few of them involved in training for the next few weeks.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: square_ball on July 31, 2019, 10:56:30 AM

That trophy they got in Armagh a few weeks ago must have just been for the craic then.

And I don't think anyone is suggesting throwing several u20s straight into the mix apart from Canavan.  I don't see what harm it would do to have a few of them involved in training for the next few weeks.

Ah come on now, an Ulster u20 title isn't currency and you know it. Tyrone at underage level by and large should only be dealing in All Irelands considering the size of the county and the talent in it.

Kerry pulled through O'Shea/Clifford etc on the back of winning u20s. If we are intent here on pulling through u20s it needs to be winners of special make-up. Otherwise what's wrong with the panel that have got to the AI Semi Final at Senior with a game to spare?

I don't mean to insult any of the lads, as you say there is no harm bringing them in to compete at training - who knows, maybe someone can step up if needed but right now I would be surprised if any of them are of the quality to make an impact this year.

under the bar

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 31, 2019, 11:18:01 AM
Quote from: square_ball on July 31, 2019, 10:56:30 AM

Ah come on now, an Ulster u20 title isn't currency and you know it. Tyrone at underage level by and large should only be dealing in All Irelands considering the size of the county and the talent in it.

Kerry pulled through O'Shea/Clifford etc on the back of winning u20s. If we are intent here on pulling through u20s it needs to be winners of special make-up. Otherwise what's wrong with the panel that have got to the AI Semi Final at Senior with a game to spare?

I don't mean to insult any of the lads, as you say there is no harm bringing them in to compete at training - who knows, maybe someone can step up if needed but right now I would be surprised if any of them are of the quality to make an impact this year.

Ulster football titles at any level would be the same currency as Munster Hurling titles at any level.  The rest of the provincials less so.

square_ball

You've literally said they didn't win anything when they're only after winning an Ulster championship. I don't think it's fair of you to downplay that. We've won one Ulster u20/21 titles and 2 minor Ulster titles this decade now whether that's good enough is another debate.

I'm not for one minute suggesting any of that team gets within a sniff of a start in the semi final. I do think Canavan could be sprung in the last 10 minutes but aside from then no. I think if we get 3/4 in the next few years from that team we'll be doing well. The goalkeeper, murnaghan, canavan being the standouts imo.

scout

I'm going off what i've seen in the club championship last year but i don't see the fuss so far over Murnaghan in regards to Tyrone seniors?? 1 good game against Omagh, was quiet until last 5mins in ET against Ardboe, and anonymous in county final vs 'Island.

I understand he's a young lad etc & plenty of development required/still to come, but wouldn't be rushing to get him into senior setup imo.

square_ball

To be honest I liked what I saw of him last year in the championship. It was the only reason I have listed him as one of the ones to come through from the u20s as obviously he didn't play any u20 championship. I do think the potential is there to develop into a very good player. Who knows though.

ONeill

What do you make of young Canavan? More of a playmaker than his oul lad?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Angelo

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2019, 05:31:41 PM

Just the way the game has gone. Very few, if any of the big teams now play with small, light skilful guys inside. You need to have the physique and power to operate in there. He seems very similar to his father in his style of play and statute, just different times now.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2019, 05:31:41 PM

He can take a goal like his oul fella.
That was never a square ball!!

Under Lights

Heard from a very good source that Dublin hasn't been mentioned in training this last two weeks, only the semi final.
Fella said that Tyrone will be weakened team this week. Mightnt field at all.

Angelo

I'd go with something along the following lines for the weekend:

1. Gallen
2. HP McGeary
3. Hampsey
4. Rafferty
5. McCann
6. McCrory
7. Cassidy
8. McDonnell
9. Grugan
10. McClure
11. Coney
12. Sludden
13. Skeet
14. R Donnelly
15. McCurry

There's a few I'm not sure about the status of:

Mulgrew - don't think he has featured in a matchday squad since the opening league game against Kerry, heard he was injured but not sure if he's available again or still with the squad
Loughran - hasn't featured at all this year to my recollection. Not sure if injured or just not in favour, was included in the squad portraits back at the the end of April, possibly could have opted out since?
McNabb - as above
B Burns - hasn't featured this year, missed the start of the season while recuperating from an ACL operation, probably available now but just well down the pecking order
R McHugh - similar to above
McLaughlin - fleetingly in and out of the matchday 26, seems to just be out of favour

It's a long hard year for lads who aren't getting game time so I hope the management give them this chance where the result is secondary to make a claim.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jim Bob

Quote from: Under Lights on July 31, 2019, 10:27:12 PM
Heard from a very good source that Dublin hasn't been mentioned in training this last two weeks, only the semi final.
Fella said that Tyrone will be weakened team this week. Mightnt field at all.

See if that what you say turns out to be a load of aul shite, will you come back here and admit so ?