Shocking Goings on at Queens

Started by el_cuervo_fc, April 08, 2008, 09:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

'Cottaging' closes campus toilets 
By Johnny Caldwell
BBC News 

The toilet block is in Queen's main library (tower to the left and back)
A male toilet block at Queen's University in Belfast has been closed for more than two years over fears it was being used for 'cottaging'.

Cottaging is a slang term for gay sex in a public toilet or using such a facility to arrange sex elsewhere.

The university even considered installing CCTV in the toilet block in the basement of its main library.

The final straw was an e-mail sent to some students from an external bulletin board, advertising the 'venue'.

"I understand that this problem has been going on a number of years," said a member of Queen's staff in an e-mail from March 2006 obtained by BBC News.

"I would suggest that we lock the toilets at night, but I have heard that this also happens during the day. CCTV could be the answer, but we would have to be careful about where we locate cameras."

Another staff e-mail read: "An e-mail was sent to a number of QUB students advertising the basement of the main library tower as a rendezvous point for gay men.

Spot checks

"There have been suspicions of similar misuse of these facilities over the years and they have been closed for periods and spot checked by security staff at other times.

"Since this incident we have kept the toilets locked but are looking at a longer term management strategy. We are considering removing some of the cubicles."

In February of this year, following an article in a student newspaper, the Gown, the university denied that the closure was linked to concerns over cottaging.

The toilet block has been closed for more than two years

After BBC News obtained the above e-mails and others, the university released the following statement: "The toilets within the university's main library remain closed for a number of reasons.

"These include, among other things, an over-supply of toilets within the library building; their poor state of repair; and the university's plans to provide improved toilet facilities within the new Anthony O'Reilly Library (currently under construction)."

Zapatista

Can they not just go speed dating like the rest of us?

illdecide

Edited by Mod3

I mean if it was used to take the middle out of some sexy female students then "bring it on" but gay sex WTF how can any man be gay when you see some of the talent thats out there
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hollow Man

Having read that diatribe, I would safely say that you are a bender yourself.

Minder

Quote from: illdecide on April 08, 2008, 11:59:10 AM

I mean if it was used to take the middle out of some sexy female students then "bring it on" but gay sex WTF how can any man be gay when you see some of the talent thats out there

Dont sit on the fence, say what you really think.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewingedlady

We had a smilar problem down here at Trinity last year, they had to make a few adjustments to the Mens Toilets in the Hamilton building!

illdecide

Quote from: Minder on April 08, 2008, 12:06:02 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 08, 2008, 11:59:10 AM

Dont sit on the fence, say what you really think.......

What do you mean Minder "Don't knock it to you try it" ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Candyman

Quote from: thewingedlady on April 08, 2008, 12:06:57 PM
We had a smilar problem down here at Trinity last year, they had to make a few adjustments to the Mens Toilets in the Hamilton building!
Speaking from experience are ye winged lady...  :D

el_cuervo_fc

It must be the Poly lads sneaking in as usual

thewingedlady

Quote from: Candyman on April 08, 2008, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: thewingedlady on April 08, 2008, 12:06:57 PM
Speaking from experience are ye winged lady...  :D

Not at all Candyman, that's down the Science end of things. I'm an arts block boy!

Gaaboardmod3

illdecide, I've edited that. I know it was a joke, but it was OTT.

Cheers

theskull1

They should do a few spot checks over in the students union as well

Mind taking a shower (many moons ago) in there and spotting two pairs of shoes facing the same way in the toilet cubicles off the changing area. I'll tell you I didn't need to put the towel in front of the superser whenever I got home  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

5 Sams

Queen's

Appropriately named or what??? :P
The Aristocrat Years

thebandit

The dirty feckers used to go up to the 10th floor when I was there, they seem to be getting lazier...... shagged out from climbing the stairs  :D

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on April 08, 2008, 01:20:30 PM
illdecide, I've edited that. I know it was a joke, but it was OTT.

Cheers

Funny that you edited that post but it still stays in the quote's on down the thread... Is this supposed to happen? Just seems pretty silly editing the comment if it stay's in the quotes on down...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME