American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: stew on January 23, 2018, 11:25:39 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2018, 10:47:21 AM
Quote from: TabClear on January 23, 2018, 10:43:05 AM
Brady is a machine. To be playing at that level when you are over 40 is incredible. Amendola was an absolute star on Sunday, the TD catch at the end and the ability to get his feet down was fantastic.  Feel sorry for the jags, Bortles had a couple of throws down the sideline in the last couple of drives that were inches off and could have been the difference. Great defensive play by Gilmour at the end though.

Its hard to see Philly matching the Patriots. Foles is an underrated Quarterback in my opinion and he has the weapons to hurt the Pats but i just think the big game experience of New England will be too much especially if Gronk is back. Pats by 8.

People forget how good Cooks and Amendola are. They're top class NFL receivers and have excelled elsewhere. This isn't a knock on Brady in any way, he's amazing, but the way some folk go on you'd think he only had wheelie bins to throw to when Gronk got injured.

Thats bollocks Seanie, no one I know of thinks that!

To be fair it's all I hear

stew

Quote from: gawa316 on January 24, 2018, 06:51:18 AM
Quote from: stew on January 23, 2018, 11:25:39 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2018, 10:47:21 AM
Quote from: TabClear on January 23, 2018, 10:43:05 AM
Brady is a machine. To be playing at that level when you are over 40 is incredible. Amendola was an absolute star on Sunday, the TD catch at the end and the ability to get his feet down was fantastic.  Feel sorry for the jags, Bortles had a couple of throws down the sideline in the last couple of drives that were inches off and could have been the difference. Great defensive play by Gilmour at the end though.

Its hard to see Philly matching the Patriots. Foles is an underrated Quarterback in my opinion and he has the weapons to hurt the Pats but i just think the big game experience of New England will be too much especially if Gronk is back. Pats by 8.

People forget how good Cooks and Amendola are. They're top class NFL receivers and have excelled elsewhere. This isn't a knock on Brady in any way, he's amazing, but the way some folk go on you'd think he only had wheelie bins to throw to when Gronk got injured.

Thats bollocks Seanie, no one I know of thinks that!

To be fair it's all I hear

Philly fans are animals and will let themselves down a ton in Minneapolis, maybe its me watching Packer fans welcoming fans from all over the country but Philly fans were an absolute disgrace yet again in the NFC Title game, Viking fans were imtimidted, spat on, pushed, hit and effed up and down, including women, a lot of packer and viking fans are hoping the pats beat the Eagles as one put it (whilst holding my nose)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

The oft-told anecdote about Eagles fans is that they booed Santa Claus!

But yeah, some of the videos and stories from the other night do support the perception that at least some of their fans are complete scum.

It will be a case of pick your poison I think for the final.

Syferus

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

XFL is back. Can't wait to see how it turns out. No one should discount Vince McMahon as a businessman.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on January 25, 2018, 08:12:05 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

XFL is back. Can't wait to see how it turns out. No one should discount Vince McMahon as a businessman.

When it comes to football I would. McMahon has had plenty of catastrophes over the years.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on January 25, 2018, 09:05:30 PM

When it comes to football I would. McMahon has had plenty of catastrophes over the years.

This actually sounds like it has a chance though.  The XFL was cat, in my opinion,  but this sounds like it might not have the same gimmicks that got old quick. I like the sound of 2 hour games and he's also appealing to the zeitgeist by talking about criminal records and not allowing social stances.

If I was the NFL I'd be looking at some of the same stuff

stew

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2018, 12:09:30 PM
The oft-told anecdote about Eagles fans is that they booed Santa Claus!

But yeah, some of the videos and stories from the other night do support the perception that at least some of their fans are complete scum.

It will be a case of pick your poison I think for the final.

They have been scum for decades J70, this is not a new thing to them, they revel in acting the sc**bag ( A sizeable number of them do)

The Pats are hated because they are winners, end of, people will talk about deflategate and whatever but the bottom line is fans hate them because they win all the time.

Gabriel_Hurl

Every NFL fanbase has a certain small percentage of scummy element to it - the Eagles are by far the worst

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 25, 2018, 10:44:50 PM
Every NFL fanbase has a certain small percentage of scummy element to it - the Eagles are by far the worst

They are, here you went to a packers game in Lambeau, how many scumbags did you meet at Lambeau?????

Seriously though, A mate of mine lives just up the street from Lambeau Field and every year they have a deck party during the Pack V Bears game, his buddy Josh ( I think) is a big, big bastard, strong like bull and he has about 15 beers and starts inviting Bears fans onto the deck, everything is great for a bit and the banter if flying until yer man grabs one of these bucks and throws him over the deck, holding him by the ankles, screaming ensues as the victim is thinking he is going to die, then the grip goes to one ankle and passers by are transfixed by the sight and invariably the cameras are out until Josh pulls his victim back up and all is well, how he has never been arrested is beyond me, I have seen this twice and it is incredibly funny yet incredibly wrong and dangerous at the same time, I miss Green Bay!

Gabriel_Hurl

None at all. Rowdiest fellas I saw at Lambeau was these 2 yahoos in 15F weather

I have seen them and Bills fans get into rucks at the Ralph  though - Bills fans are another rough shower as well

QuoteI miss Green Bay!

And the Guinness

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 25, 2018, 11:09:14 PM
None at all. Rowdiest fellas I saw at Lambeau was these 2 yahoos in 15F weather

I have seen them and Bills fans get into rucks at the Ralph  though - Bills fans are another rough shower as well

QuoteI miss Green Bay!

And the Guinness

Shure you are the man from the metropolis who was ravin about the stout in Canada, I told you about a wee German bar that had the best stout outside of Irland and you laughed at me, three pints in apiece and you were raving about how good the black was at the Lorelei Inn in Green Bay, and you admitted it was better than the stuff you got back in Canada!  :)

Gabriel_Hurl

That's the name of the place - completely forgot.  :-[

Was telling a friend of mine about it up here who goes down to the games there about a great place for Guinness. Will have to send him that way now

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 25, 2018, 11:30:08 PM
That's the name of the place - completely forgot.  :-[

Was telling a friend of mine about it up here who goes down to the games there about a great place for Guinness. Will have to send him that way now

Do that Gab, tell him the food is excellent as well, ribeye and mushrooms and onions with steak fries, brown sauce, salt and vinegar served on a skillet, Brilliant!

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2018, 09:13:27 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 25, 2018, 09:05:30 PM

This actually sounds like it has a chance though.  The XFL was cat, in my opinion,  but this sounds like it might not have the same gimmicks that got old quick. I like the sound of 2 hour games and he's also appealing to the zeitgeist by talking about criminal records and not allowing social stances.

If I was the NFL I'd be looking at some of the same stuff

The 30 for 30 on the XFL from last year is fascinating, it's not an overstatement to say McMahon has spent the last decade and a half thinking about what went wrong the first time around. I think if executed well a spring football league with tighter games will be a success. Live sports is one of the few things that can still generate big advertising money these days so there are a lot of sound fundamentals behind the idea.

Carmen Stateside

Was at the Eagles game myself and seen no one being a 'sc**bag' at all apart from a loud mouth with a Vikings top who was pretty full of himself.  As has been said before all teams will have a few bad eggs among the 60000 or so attending.
Have to say the noise after the pick 6 was unbelievable, never have i heard a roar like it.  The whole day was a great experience and i would be delighted if the Eagles can finish the job now in the Super Bowl