Pick a song you will never get sick of listening to...

Started by 5 Sams, July 28, 2007, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Billy groans at the thought of arranging it again  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Billys Boots

Am a busy .. blah blah blah.  I have a spreadsheet system set up for it, and it wouldn't be that hard to work if: (a) at least 40-odd wanted to participate, and (b) participants followed 'da rules', in terms of formatting (and spelling) their choices correctly for collation.

Go find me the numbers by end-of-today holiness, and I'll run it off (for music only).  You'll have to petition AZ on the movies - I'll help him out with the collation, if he wants.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nifan

i dont see the point - a best of the year would be better, but would exclude all the old farts like billy who only listen to oul stuff so it isnt really fair ;)

his holiness nb

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 03, 2007, 10:59:44 AM
Am a busy .. blah blah blah.  I have a spreadsheet system set up for it, and it wouldn't be that hard to work if: (a) at least 40-odd wanted to participate, and (b) participants followed 'da rules', in terms of formatting (and spelling) their choices correctly for collation.

Go find me the numbers by end-of-today holiness, and I'll run it off (for music only).  You'll have to petition AZ on the movies - I'll help him out with the collation, if he wants.

Jaysus I was just wondering Billy! Not too fussed on them ones anyway, annually is a bit to frequent for best ever threads.

Nifan might be onto something with the best of the year idea.

Like the Gaaboard music awards or oscars or the likes!
Ask me holy bollix

gaagaa

Page, plant, jones & bonham - rock n roll - pure class
sex pistols - god save the queen

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Out in Front

Cocteau Twins - half gifts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELIq96lmr-I

Puckoon

Walking in memphis, havnt heard that in a while ziggy!

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on December 03, 2007, 11:15:31 AM
i dont see the point - a best of the year would be better, but would exclude all the old farts like billy who only listen to oul stuff so it isnt really fair ;)

Thats ok, Bruce Springsteen came back this year just so they would have someone to vote for  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Billys Boots

Quoteold farts like billy who only listen to oul stuff

Of the last ten albums I bought, seven were 'new music'.  I don't, however, hold with the twenty-something view that new is better.

Puckoon

Mr Jones - much prefer this version. Its quite different. You can skip the dialogue at the start if you want.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8_9QBaQ5jO0&feature=related

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Great Leap Forward on July 30, 2007, 01:25:47 PM
Bruce Springsteen: Backstreets- The best intro ever plus the lyrics fascinate me. Was Terry and boy or girl?

Bob Dylan: Positively 4th Street- The most cynical song ever commited to record.

REM: Find the river- Beautiful.

mmm that's interesting. I've been a long time fan of both 'Find the River' and 'Backstreets' but have struggled to find much support for them being the two stand out tracks on the albums.
Consesus on songmeanings.net is that Terry is a fella which rings true to me.

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3458764513820546837

I noticed on Billy's end of year polls over the past couple of years, a great deal of support for Joy Divisions' 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. I'm a big fan of the band but have never really got anything from that song, and I think their sound is much better represented by either '24 hours' or 'Disorder':

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QrzGpVOPcTI

So, are we not going to see a poll this year Billy?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Billys Boots

QuoteSo, are we not going to see a poll this year Billy?

Apparently not.