Hop Ball From a Free Kick

Started by screenexile, June 19, 2007, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnaross

Quote from: CiKe on June 20, 2007, 06:20:01 AM
lads, Tyrone v Donegal, penalty is given for throwing the ball by Paul Durcan. Couldn't here any of the half time analysis, but I could have sworn a penalty could only be given for a personal foul not a technical foul. Have I got that all wrong?

Any foul by the defending side in the small square results in a penalty. Had he thrown the ball outside the small square, it would have been a 13-metre free.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

DickyRock

The same thing happen to John Devine in 2003 against Antrim in Casement. One of the Antrim players slid into John when he has down for the ball. John took a bad knock which he ended up in hostipal with, but after the tackle he threw the ball away as he was in agony. Ref awarded a penalty to Antrim.

laceer

Quote from: CiKe on June 20, 2007, 06:20:01 AM
lads, Tyrone v Donegal, penalty is given for throwing the ball by Paul Durcan. Couldn't here any of the half time analysis, but I could have sworn a penalty could only be given for a personal foul not a technical foul. Have I got that all wrong?

Penalty was given against Fay Devlin in 94 Ulster Final for lifting the ball off the ground in the 'wee square'

AZOffaly

QuoteLast season Oisin McConville used the bounce ball technique as part of his routine before kicking a free from his hand but he was cautioned by a referee regarding doing so.  He has now stopped using this technique.

The ref was wrong in that case.

Hardy

Rule 2.2, Exception (i):
A penalty kick shall be awarded for an Aggressive Foul within the large rectangle or any foul within the small rectangle.

Rule 4 - Technical Fouls:
4.2 (a) To throw the ball

Hardy

These would seem to be the rules relevant to bouncing/toe-tapping the ball before taking a free from the hands:

(Under Rule 4 - Technical Fouls)

4.21 To reset the ball for a kick-out/free kick/penalty from the ground, without the referee's permission, after the whistle has been blown for the kick-out/ free kick/penalty, to be taken from the ground.

4.22 To play the ball again after taking a free kick /penalty / sideline kick before another player has touched it, unless the ball rebounds off the goal-posts/crossbar.

Note that 4.21 applies to frees from the ground only, seeming to imply an intent to treat frees from the hand differently, but we can probably presume that is to recognise that you can't re-set a ball in your hands. Unless, of course, toe-tapping or bouncing is interpreted as re-setting and the intent is to exclude them from penalty for a free from the hands.

Under 4.22, toe-tapping or bouncing after the whistle is blown to re-start play could be interpreted as playing the ball again before another player has touched it.

There seems to be room for interpretation. I seem to remember that whatever committee governs rules and refereeing issues interpretations and clarifications of how rules are to be interpreted. I don't know how or to whom these are issued, whether or where they are published or whether an interpretation or clarification has been issued on rules 4.21 and 4.22 as they apply to frees from the hand.

Star Spangler

QuoteThere seems to be room for interpretation.

That's always the way and also why every ruling is appealed!  The rules need to be black and white.

Deal_Me_In

I know this is a bit of topic but i seen a free given against a player who fisted the ball over a players head, ran round the player and caught the ball again. It was a legal fist pass but the referee said that the ball must tough the ground before the player is allowed to play the ball again.

Is this correct? Should the free be given and what is the official ruling on this?

AZOffaly

The ref was correct there. You cannot hand-pass the ball to yourself without it hitting the ground before you catch it again.

Gabriel_Hurl

Rule 4.7 - To play the ball up with the hand(s) and catch it again before it touches the ground, another player, or goal-posts.

brokencrossbar1

You used to be able to do the handpass to yourself when I was playing underage. 

Quoteoff topic again but regarding hop ball, crossmaglen seem to have mastered it, ie if a free is given against them at a crucial stage in the game or scoring position a small row seems to break out. all the player does is hold the fella on the floor and small struggle breaks out and ref hops the ball. It really frustrating, but maybe thats craft for you

Spirit, catch yourself one fella.  Do you seriously think that we sit and discuss the best ways to slow a game down at crucial times.  The paranoia with some people is unbelieveable sometimes. ::)

Maximus Marillius

QuoteI have a simple rule of thumb, the more ref hops a ball the more useless he is. Never fails

We played in the football county final in 2004 against S'neil...Tom O'Kane from Castledawson which is in half of our parish was the ref...he hoped the ball in the county final 12 times....let me repeat that ..12 f**king times..... you can guess what the other half of our parish think of him >:(

cavan4ever

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on June 20, 2007, 04:00:04 PM
QuoteI have a simple rule of thumb, the more ref hops a ball the more useless he is. Never fails

We played in the football county final in 2004 against S'neil...Tom O'Kane from Castledawson which is in half of our parish was the ref...

Sure he shouldn't have been allowed ref it anyway.

Spiritof98

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 20, 2007, 03:09:26 PM
You used to be able to do the handpass to yourself when I was playing underage. 

Quoteoff topic again but regarding hop ball, crossmaglen seem to have mastered it, ie if a free is given against them at a crucial stage in the game or scoring position a small row seems to break out. all the player does is hold the fella on the floor and small struggle breaks out and ref hops the ball. It really frustrating, but maybe thats craft for you

Spirit, catch yourself one fella.  Do you seriously think that we sit and discuss the best ways to slow a game down at crucial times.  The paranoia with some people is unbelieveable sometimes. ::)

I wasn't implying that yous discussed it as a tactic, neither was i really getting at cross for doing it, maybe it might have something to do with the lack of experience in the opposition but just seems to happen when we play cross. In the last c'ship game we were 3 points down and won a free about 30 yards out, Tony McEntee dropped the knees ala McMenimen into our boy on the ground, small scuffle ensued, booking for McEntee, hop ball. Cross win hop ball Aaron Kernan flew up the field pointed, game over!
I'll go back if Marsdens back