Footie v Hurling

Started by In the Onion Bag, June 16, 2007, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I chose the hurling, as I knew I would, but I taped the football for later and will watch it, despite RTE's stupidity in showing score updates. I think I made the right decision, the first half in particular was some game of hurling.

Actually between the Limerick-Tipp, Waterford-Cork and (apparently) the Dublin MEath games, we've had a savage weekend of it.

Dinny Breen

Watched the hurling and just finished the football, think I made the right choice. Have to laugh though when people complain about media coverage, 4 live games and a mountain of newspaper articles, fantastic stuff....
#newbridgeornowhere

darbyo

don't think there is such a thing as a more skillful sport, football and hurling are fundamentally different sports. Hurling is more difficult to master but that doesn't make it more skillful. For example it's harder to control the ball in hurling but it's harder to score in football, it's harder to take a sideline ball in hurling but it's harder to solo in football. And both sports are capable of producing magnificent entertainment and complete rubbish (as are all sports). I just thank God that we are lucky enough to have both these wonderful sports to enjoy, the rest of the world doesn't know what it's missing.

Square Ball

So what the esteemed punters in the Paradox watch today? i was in it last night and nobody mentioned it at all, mind you the one who would argue would have been there from 2 or 3 and away home by the time i arrived in
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Lecale2

I know which game was better IMO.

neilthemac

there are ten skills to master to play Gaelic Football

there are at least 60 skills in hurling

end of debate

but, any game of hurling or football can be entertaining, depending on the teams and referee

darbyo

Quotethere are ten skills to master to play Gaelic Football

there are at least 60 skills in hurling

end of debate

sorry but that's rubbish, that is kind of attitude that I'm talking about, some hurling people will tell you that there are only two skills in football,- catch and kick. Why some people have such a negative attitude to one of the codes is byond me, but there you go. Football has a huge number of skills many of them very difficult to master. Is it better than hurling, or any sport for that matter?, well that's a matter of opinion.

In the Onion Bag

Great debate lads but the basis of my question was which would be the most entertaining to watch, not which is most skillful. 
(If that was the question I fam convinced that hurling requires more skill, and I only ever played football.)

Dosn't matter really, as Laios Lad had said, both yesterday's games were excellent entertainment. 

Anyone interested in how tings faired at the Parador will be pleased to know that no blood was spilled.  Manager Peter produced the goods and got both on separate BIG Screens in the same room.  Well done Peter. 
But would'nt you know it, this didn't please everyone.  At 3:55 an argument ensured over which game would be shown on the screen nearest the bar.

SouthArmaghBandit

Drop that "Footie" shite FFS In the Onion Bag!

Silky

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on June 18, 2007, 08:38:59 AM
Drop that "Footie" shite FFS In the Onion Bag!
I agree. There's nobody I know calls it "Footie". Where did you get that from you d**k?

Sky Blue

The idiot has been watching too much Home & Away or Neighbours rather than studying for his Junior cert.

AZOffaly

I think this is thread for Hardy's post. I'll cut and paste it in here Hardy if you don't mind. To be honest I'm glad that the figures are the way they are, a lot of people made the same decision I did. 'We are all individuals'

QuoteFor want of a thread to put this in ...

Just heard on TodayFM sports news that Waterford-Cork attracted a bigger live TV audience than Meath-Dublin on Sunday - 320K v. 290K (roughly). Clearly football is dying and it's time for resources to be diverted from the thriving sport of hurling to save the national game.

didlyi

The silence is deafening on this one lads. How could the massive dublin v meath encounter fail to attract more viewers than cork v waterford. See my post above on hype v quality.

Hardy

Thanks AZ. I supopose I can live with posting in a thread with the word "footie" in the title. But it's hard.

Anyway, an interesting question arises. Meath and Dublin filled Croke Park. Cork-Waterford drew a bigger TV audience, yet if it had been played in Croke Park, it wouldn't have half-filled the place. How is that? Can we conclude that hurling is more attractive to the less committed fan, while people think enough about football to pay good money and spend the best part of a day to be present in person?

didlyi

Bad conclusion hardy. That would be a population issue and nothing else. And consideing the differnce in population between these counties it makes the figures even more surprising.. well not to me really