Footie v Hurling

Started by In the Onion Bag, June 16, 2007, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

QuoteMy honest opinion is that fotball requires more skill and more vision, for example, in football if you put the head down and just  kick a high long ball 40 meters down the CHB throat you will be crucified by managers, supporters & team mates etc for not trying to pick a pass or looking where you are kicking it.  In the other hand, in hurling, if a player does not look up and hoofs the sliothar 70 meters down the field it is considered a great play!!
Agree!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

marty88

i think its getting harder to find a decent game of hurling at county level
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Syd

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on June 16, 2007, 11:28:21 PM
Personally I think football is far better but maybe a little biased because I play gaelic and have never played hurling. 
My honest opinion is that fotball requires more skill and more vision

You have obviously never played hurling if you think it requires more skill than hurling. I was told as a youngster that "football was for people that couldnt play hurling" ! If there was any hurling match on TV iwould watch it before Dublin v Meath

pintsofguinness

I suggest yous watch a bit of hurling lads, what does any defender do once they pick up the ball, belt it up the field as hard as they can!! If a footballer done that in an u16 game he'd be off!  And did you ever see a penalty taken, blast it down the middle as hard as you can, some skill there alright, I could do that myself!
Of course it's exciting to watch at times and there are skillful aspects to the game but nothing compared to football.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Syd

The NBA finals have just finished, the 15 a side version will be played today between Tyrone & Donegal......

The Real Laoislad

I'll be watching the Hurling no doubt about it I love football but just have a extra love for Hurling as my home growing up was all Hurling as i had a few uncles playing for Laois at the time
I would prefer Laois to win Liam before Sam neither will happen anytime soon though >:(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Galwaybhoy

Football more skillful than Hurling?  Not a chance.  I played both and found the Hurling a lot harder and more skilful game to master than Gaelic Football.  Hurling is a trickier and more skilful game to master imo.  I love Gaelic Football but I'd also say a sport like Aussie Rules is more skillful than Football.

J70

Quote from: Noname on June 17, 2007, 12:46:24 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on June 16, 2007, 11:28:21 PM
Personally I think football is far better but maybe a little biased because I play gaelic and have never played hurling.  Also, in the North, hurling is not near as popular as football. 

My honest opinion is that fotball requires more skill and more vision, for example, in football if you put the head down and just  kick a high long ball 40 meters down the CHB throat you will be crucified by managers, supporters & team mates etc for not trying to pick a pass or looking where you are kicking it.  In the other hand, in hurling, if a player does not look up and hoofs the sliothar 70 meters down the field it is considered a great play!!It all seems a bit scrappy as well, like i was watching some of the hurling tonight and there was a lot of bodies around just swinging at the sliothar on the ground.

Again just my opinion.

What an utter load of shite, i am not going to get drawn into an argument about this, but i have never heard so much rubbish.

i take it you must be playing for the U12's with that rubbish.

You're not going to get drawn into an argument: you're just going to say he's talking shite. Persuasive!

Craigyhill Terror

This is just one example, and as the hurling's just started again, it's the only one I'll give right now:

If football requires more skill, why is it that if an inter-county footballer is "two-footed" he is treated as a demi-god, with a rare example of unbelievable skill, while in hurling, not being able to strike with power and accuracy on both left and right sides would see your place under threat on a good junior club team?

J70

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on June 17, 2007, 04:57:46 PM
This is just one example, and as the hurling's just started again, it's the only one I'll give right now:

If football requires more skill, why is it that if an inter-county footballer is "two-footed" he is treated as a demi-god, with a rare example of unbelievable skill, while in hurling, not being able to strike with power and accuracy on both left and right sides would see your place under threat on a good junior club team?

You're talking about manipulating a ball with your feet on the one hand, and your hands and arms on the other. They're hardly the same thing, now, are they? And when have you ever heard of a county footballer getting praise for playing a pass with his weaker foot? Taking a spectacular score with his weaker foot, yes.

Personally, I'm not saying that hurling isn't a sport that requires more practice to master the skills. Ice hockey is also a very skillful game, as is baseball. I find none anywhere near as entertaining as gaelic football or soccer. The idea that hurling is objectively a superior spectator sport to gaelic football is complete and utter nonsense.

The Real Laoislad

Hurling is far more skillfull than Football but you can get good and bad games in both and a good game of either is very enjoyable
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: J70 on June 17, 2007, 05:11:12 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on June 17, 2007, 04:57:46 PM

You're talking about manipulating a ball with your feet on the one hand, and your hands and arms on the other. They're hardly the same thing, now, are they? And when have you ever heard of a county footballer getting praise for playing a pass with his weaker foot? Taking a spectacular score with his weaker foot, yes.

Personally, I'm not saying that hurling isn't a sport that requires more practice to master the skills. Ice hockey is also a very skillful game, as is baseball. I find none anywhere near as entertaining as gaelic football or soccer. The idea that hurling is objectively a superior spectator sport to gaelic football is complete and utter nonsense.

It was a football proponent who started the "which is more skilful" argument on this thread, so this was just a reply in kind, if you want to go down the road of comparing the two games like that. As it happens, I agree that "the idea that hurling is objectively a superior spectator sport to gaelic football is complete and utter nonsense". That holds true for any sport.
The argument over what people find more entertaining isn't an argument, as everyone's opinion is "right" in this case.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 17, 2007, 01:17:15 PM
I suggest yous watch a bit of hurling lads, what does any defender do once they pick up the ball, belt it up the field as hard as they can!! If a footballer done that in an u16 game he'd be off!  And did you ever see a penalty taken, blast it down the middle as hard as you can, some skill there alright, I could do that myself!

Grand so, I look forward to seeing you starring for Armagh!

Of course it's exciting to watch at times and there are skillful aspects to the game but nothing compared to football.

What does any football defender do when he picks up the ball? Handpasses it to a colleague less than five yards away! Who does what? Handpasses it to a colleague less than five yards away. Who does what . . .

Depends what floats your boat, but personally speaking I'd rather watch a (junior) club hurling match than a county football game.

Stranworst

Just finished watching the football and think I made the right decision!

Doesn't help that I'm a Down fan living in Armagh!

Just don't see the appeal of hurling when football is available. Not degrading hurling or anything, I would watch it no bother but against a football match, no contest.

GalwayBayBoy

As someone from a dual county and who has played both games I can safely say hurling is a lot harder to master. I love football but it's much easier to play than hurling.

In football you can just get a fella up to a reasonable standard of fitness and even if he doesn't have much skill he could still survive and contribute on a football field. Send a relatively unskilled fella out to play a hurling game and he'd be lost completely.