Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: TheGreatest on January 04, 2021, 03:45:02 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 04, 2021, 03:26:32 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 04, 2021, 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on January 04, 2021, 10:26:42 AM
Still my favorite thread on here.. makes it all that sweeter.
Mine too because I am fascinated by the pointlessness of it all.
Otherwise perfectly sensible posters can spend hours bickering over irrelevancies while the real crux of the matter is left largely unnoticed.
Dublin, is by a great distance, the best team in the land. I think that has to be acknowledged by all sides of the dispute.
How it got there is not that important but the fact that no other team is on the same level certainly is. IT seems the great majority of Dublin people are bored with Stephen Cluxton's annual trip up the steps and deliver his usual cúpla focail. AFAIK, not one extra banner waving in the wind from Balbriggan to Carrickmines.
Eoin Murchan's visit to Temple Street hospital was trhe only event that got decent coverage in the national media.
Do you seriously think that the whole exercise in futility gained Dublin one extra fan?
You lads who imagine that the good times are here to stay remind me of George Washington.
The storey goes tat young George was told to saw off an overhanging branch of a tree.
The day was hot and George was lazy so he got the bright idea to sit on the branch while cutting it.
Unfortunately for him, he sat on the outer side of the cut and wound up in the Potomac river.
I think there a moral there for you Dublin diehards. You can smirk away but you don't see what's coming down the line..

You could have just said you've no evidence to back your dublin are professional claims.

Eoin Murchan visiting sick kids was nothing to do with working on Dublin's PR image or trying to garner extra fans. It was simply about trying to brighten the day for sick kids and their families and maybe let them forget about their worries for a short time. Dublin have been doing this for years under Jim Gavin. You really have a sick and twisted mind

Its quite frightening what people think of these players, i wonder was the same said about Cork lady footballers after their 6th in a row visiting the children's hospital. That's just good PR  was it...  there are underlying issues out there with these people that must not only be related to GAA, but to Dublin people in general.

Statements like these is why there will be no reconciliation.
Tbf , I don't think lar naparka is questioning Eoin Murchan at all in the above statement. I think everyone agrees that Dublin players are a credit to the association. The point being made is that Dublin's wins seem to generate less and less publicity and interest every year

TheGreatest

Yeah fair point about Lar, not the worst, but Covid year don't forget, not as much going on after and just before Christmas too.

Not bothered by media coverage or no media coverage.

Lar Naparka

Otherwise perfectly sensible posters can spend hours bickering over irrelevancies while the real crux of the matter is left largely unnoticed.
Dublin, is by a great distance, the best team in the land. I think that has to be acknowledged by all sides of the dispute.
How it got there is not that important but the fact that no other team is on the same level certainly is. IT seems the great majority of Dublin people are bored with Stephen Cluxton's annual trip up the steps and deliver his usual cúpla focail. AFAIK, not one extra banner waving in the wind from Balbriggan to Carrickmines.
Eoin Murchan's visit to Temple Street hospital was trhe only event that got decent coverage in the national media.
Do you seriously think that the whole exercise in futility gained Dublin one extra fan?
You lads who imagine that the good times are here to stay remind me of George Washington.
The storey goes tat young George was told to saw off an overhanging branch of a tree.
The day was hot and George was lazy so he got the bright idea to sit on the branch while cutting it.
Unfortunately for him, he sat on the outer side of the cut and wound up in the Potomac river.
I think there a moral there for you Dublin diehards. You can smirk away but you don't see what's coming down the line..

You could have just said you've no evidence to back your dublin are professional claims.

Eoin Murchan visiting sick kids was nothing to do with working on Dublin's PR image or trying to garner extra fans. It was simply about trying to brighten the day for sick kids and their families and maybe let them forget about their worries for a short time. Dublin have been doing this for years under Jim Gavin. You really have a sick and twisted mind
Hold on! Where did I say that? ;D ;D
I also never implied that Eoin Murchan was doing anything other than visiting sick kids in hospital. It was the only newsworthy item connected with Dublin's latest win that was carried by the national media. (AFAIK)
I never denied that Dublin under Jim Gavin did the same thing or implied in anyway that he did not.
I was naïve enough to think that anyone with an IQ no lower than his backside would have misread what I had to say.
Then you came along...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 04, 2021, 04:37:59 PM

I also never implied that Eoin Murchan was doing anything other than visiting sick kids in hospital. It was the only newsworthy item connected with Dublin's latest win that was carried by the national media. (AFAIK)
I never denied that Dublin under Jim Gavin did the same thing or implied in anyway that he did not.
I was naïve enough to think that anyone with an IQ no lower than his backside would have misread what I had to say.
Then you came along...

Apologies for claiming you said the dubs don't have real jobs. That clearly wasn't you

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on January 04, 2021, 05:00:28 PM

Then you came along...

Apologies for claiming you said the dubs don't have real jobs.
That clearly wasn't you
Well, you certainly got my attention straightaway.
But you also misunderstood what I had to say about Eoin Murchan's visit to Temple Street.
It was the almost complete lack of media interest in Dubliin's latest win that I was referring to.
I mean winning six in a row AIs was largely ignored by the national media.
If RTE and other news outlets weren't othered to devote time and space to this historic feat it was because they realised there was little or no public interest in what Dublion had achieved.
I don't think that can be taken as just a personal opinion either. The facts are there for all to see.
For the record, I don't criticise Dublin GAA for anything the team may have achieved.
Dublin plays by the rules.
But some of the reasons/excuses out forward by some Dublin fans on this  board are a different matter entirely.
I don't think much of endless and pointless whinging either. Pointing out the obvious on an Internet forum will achieve sweet FA. (IMO anyway.)
If the accusations are justified, the blame lies with other county boards for their inaction.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Baile Brigín 2

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 04, 2021, 06:06:00 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 04, 2021, 04:29:48 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 04, 2021, 03:32:21 AM
The extra funding goes back to 2003!

Most of those Lads who were Minor (2011) would have been 10 years old then and starting out playing serious enough club games.

I'm not as familiar with the history of extra government funding as some might be.  I was responding to Lar's reference to Blue Wave funding, which began in 2011.   That's the funding issue I've heard as being a reason for Dublin's current dominance.  That argument doesn't add up, as I've argued above.

Stick a link up to extra funding beginning in 2003, and I'll try to respond if I can.  It's honestly the first I'm hearing of it, and a google search didn't bring anything up for me, except for the Westmeath's player letter referencing Dublin having issues that needed funding in 2003.
I can understand what you are saying and I will also accept what you say in your reply to me above.  I am talking about the facts you quoted, your conclusions are open to debate as mine are also.
I have tried to keep mine to a minimum and let the stats speak for themselves.
I had forgotten that the Bertie/ Bailey deal was struck in 2003. (Thanks FTB!)
I can’t even say that the money which came via the Sports Council oof Ireland, was designed for the senior team’s preparations or not but the fact remains that the team’s remarkable improvement in form began in 2005 to the extent that they have dominated proceedings in Leinster ever since.
As for the Blue Wave, it didn’t automatically produce players out of the, well, blue. The minor players you mention were there before this initiative was launched  but their continued development since then has to be a factor in the team’’s performance.
It might be inaccurate to link outside funding with the success or otherwise of any team’s success as this  assistance might not go directly to the team’s preparations but that's,IMO, sleight of hand.
Following on from John Costello’s annual reports, the costs of looking after Dublin teams were discussed here and, while I don’t recall offhand what they amounted to in any year, I remember that they certainly well exceeded those of any other county.
Apparently, Mayo came next on the list, its transport and accommodation costs were by far the largest item of expenditure.
You need also to keep in mind that the cost of looking after a county’s teams are the same for every county in the land. A gallon of diesel for the Roscommon team bus costs the same as ditto for the Dublin coach and an O’Neill’s football will cost the same in Dublin as in Kiltoom or wherever the Rossies train.
So talking about pro rata development grants as if the size of the grants should correlate with a county’s population is missing the point completely.
Put simply, to prepare both teams to the same level of performance, the relative costs should be relatively equal.
That’s the theory anyway but the reality is very different.

I'd agree with a lot of what you say there Lar.  In terms of money for senior team preparation, that should be earmarked, and travel should be on top of whatever the county team gets for other purposes.

One spot where I don't agree with you, and it may be that we're thinking of different years when it comes to expense lists, but my memory is that other counties such as Cork and Mayo have fairly similar spending budgets to Dublin. Though as you say a significant proportion of that was travel related, which Dublin don't have to fund.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/revealed-here-is-how-much-your-county-spent-on-its-teams-in-2017-with-dublin-only-the-second-biggest-spenders-36576369.html

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-reign-supreme-but-where-does-your-county-rank-on-the-2018-gaa-rich-list-36922874.html

You've thanked FTB for reminding you that the Ahern/Bailey deal was 2003.  When did the money start to come in from this deal, and where did it go (to the senior team, to schools, to clubs?).   Again, I'm not as knowledgeable as some may be on this stuff, and google isn't bringing up much for Ahern/Bailey/gaa/2003 for me at least.   Maybe FTB can stick up a link.

TheGreatest

Then you came along...

Now now, fair point, i misread it, but others would say it, or when Cluxton laid the wreath, good PR, 6 or 7 other teams laid the wreath too, not good PR. You see what i am getting at..

Ed Ricketts

This whole discussion has been very unsatisfactory from the start. And it's unsatisfactory because neither side of the argument seems to really have reliable, comprehensive evidence of what's gone on in Dublin in the last 15 years. So we're left talking through tidbits of financial info gleaned from disparate sources, or through anecdotal experiences and conversations, or about nebulous and antagonistic things like player occupations or car deals. Both sides dismiss or seek to qualify anything put forward by the other. No one comes away any more informed or convinced of anything. It's a load of dung.

It's important to appreciate that this discussion has grown far beyond us internet gobshites, and genuinely threatens to become the most poisonous and divisive issue in GAA circles. We need to given clarity. We need authoritative, detailed figures on the financing of Dublin GAA over the last two decades. What money has gone in; where it has been spent; the justification for the expenditure; and how it compares with other areas of the country. Only with this sort of detail can an informed discussion take place about future funding and structuring of the GAA in Dublin.

It's time for Tom Ryan and others in the GAA hierarchy to show some leadership here and take ownership of the conversation. Failure to do so can only be a result of one or both of the following:
1. There's something to hide. Dublin have been in receipt of disproportionate funding, and no one in GAA officialdom wants to stand over the rationale for this.
2. The GAA hierarchy are out of touch with the grassroots. They do not appreciate just how disaffected and disinterested many across the country have become with the intercounty game, and with the perceived inequalities driving competition into the ground.

Somebody in some position of power has to make an honest effort to put this issue to bed one way or another. Dublin is just going to continue to grow, continue to need funding, and continue to win all around them. The issue is not just going to go away.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

johnnycool

Its quite frightening what people think of these players, i wonder was the same said about Cork lady footballers after their 6th in a row visiting the children's hospital. That's just good PR  was it...  there are underlying issues out there with these people that must not only be related to GAA, but to Dublin people in general.

Most AI winning teams do this, do they not? It's not just a Dublin thing.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 05, 2021, 04:05:22 PM

Most AI winning teams do this, do they not? It's not just a Dublin thing.

Its not even just a GAA thing...

Eire90

The thing is with the Dublin being so dominate gaa fans will think its great if mayo and kerry win an odd championship that is terrible too just having the championship swap between three teams.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Eire90 on January 12, 2021, 03:11:10 AM
The thing is with the Dublin being so dominate gaa fans will think its great if mayo and kerry win an odd championship that is terrible too just having the championship swap between three teams.

Yeah, that's terrible, Mayo won it in 1951, probably time to divide the county into two separate teams !

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Baile Brigín 2