What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 01, 2018, 06:26:17 PM
8k might suit pubs etc, doubtful if it would add much to a semi D living room.

The higher resolution, the closer you can sit to the TV. It's more suitable for home viewing than lower resolutions.

armaghniac

I'd welcome hi res computer monitors, TV less so.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

on the sideline

Want to get a tv that will pick up rte etc in the north without using a set top box. Will one with built in freeview be enough to pick this up? Checked models on saorview approved site and the models I'm looking at are coming up as approved - but will this mean I can get them up here in the north ok?

Given the size of the room I'm thinking of a 43" Panasonic TXF532B Smart Full HD. Says it has Saorview included. Anyone have one of these or know will it automatically pick up rte tg4 etc?

Haven't a clue here so any help appreciated.

thewobbler

Quote from: on the sideline on December 18, 2018, 03:23:09 PM
Want to get a tv that will pick up rte etc in the north without using a set top box. Will one with built in freeview be enough to pick this up? Checked models on saorview approved site and the models I'm looking at are coming up as approved - but will this mean I can get them up here in the north ok?

Given the size of the room I'm thinking of a 43" Panasonic TXF532B Smart Full HD. Says it has Saorview included. Anyone have one of these or know will it automatically pick up rte tg4 etc?

If it has Saorvoew or Freeview HD, it will pick up an RTE signal as long as you're in range.

lurganblue

I believe that a "Full HD" TV will pick up rte without a box but "HD Ready" will not.  I'm not 100% on that though unfortunately.

armaghniac

Quote from: lurganblue on December 18, 2018, 03:32:01 PM

I believe that a "Full HD" TV will pick up rte without a box but "HD Ready" will not.  I'm not 100% on that though unfortunately.

Freeview HD is the thing to look out for.
Whether or not you get Saorview is of course dependent on your signal, but if you have been getting it the set should do it.

TG4 and RTÉ are also broadcast from Divis, and you need a Freeview HD set  for this also.
Any big set in late 2018 is almost certainly Freeview HD, smaller sets are less certain.

johnnycool

As thewobbler says, needs a Freeview HD tuner and some even mention Saorview in the specification.

A "Full HD" TV should have a Freeview HD tuner but check the fine print just in case.

thewobbler

No not true.

You need Freeview HD (the tuner) not Full HD the TV.

Freeview Plus is not Freeview HD btw.

Syferus

'HD Ready' used to be a common euphemism for 720p resolution whereas 'Full HD' means 1080p.

It has fûck all to do with the existence or lack of any type of tuner.

Boycey

What would we do without the font of all knowledge that is Syf  ;D

gallsman

Sure don't be worrying about what tuner the TV has. Just steal it digitally from the internet like the rest of us!

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on December 18, 2018, 05:46:35 PM
Sure don't be worrying about what tuner the TV has. Just steal it digitally from the internet like the rest of us!

It might be easier to get a good TV signal than good Internet.

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 18, 2018, 09:30:12 PM

I wasn't actually being serious.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on December 18, 2018, 10:47:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 18, 2018, 09:30:12 PM

I wasn't actually being serious.

Of course, you pay for things. But there could be some Roscommon people viewing the  thread.

BenDover

Purchased this last weekend - Samsung ue55nu7100, I'm thinking I should be able to pick up the RTÉ signal on this TV since I can get RTÉ on another TV in the house from the aerial. I ran through the setup twice once with the region set to UK and the other time the region was set to Ireland. When I selected the Ireland option the TV picked up approx. 25 less channels, so I've it switched back the the UK as default region. Anyone any ideas?