Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: Puckoon on February 01, 2018, 04:42:06 PM
This is a great time of year for a Palm Springs Golf trip Rois. Rent a nice little house with a pool, grill out in the evenings and play Mission Hills, Indian Wells and Silverrock. Good times

You've just described the dream.  Not joking, we'll do it next year maybe - fly out to LA, connect to Mammoth for mid-week skiing, fly back to LA and then 2hr drive out to Palm Springs for the rest of the trip with the house, the pool, the grill and our favourite restaurant ever, Johnny Costa's. 

My OH played the Stadium Course at PGA West last summer (played Mission Hills two years before that).  I was allowed to play one of the crappy cheap courses near the airport - Cimmarron I think? - my standard of golf isn't quite at PGA West level yet.  But I enjoy the clubhouses there!

ONARAGGATIP

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 01, 2018, 04:14:57 PM
Quote from: ONARAGGATIP on February 01, 2018, 04:09:47 PM
can anyone recommend a bar in Prague that would show the Cheltenham festival, will be over there on Gold cup day?

Rocky O'Reilly's should be able to sort you, very easy got to - they have a sister bar in the Old Town, the Dubliner also. They are able to get the GAA so I assume Cheltenham will be no issue.

thanks

omaghjoe

Yeah probably slighly harsh on SoCal, but the prospect of tackling traffic here clouds your opinion somewhat

There is plenty to see and do here. Alot of cool places, Best beach town and prettiest beach is Laguna, more relaxed than further North OC and LA beaches which are kinda hectic in summer. Huntington, Santa Monica and Venice are probably the most happening with the latter being sorta alternative. Avoid HB during US OPen. Seal Beach is more relaxed too and close to Belmont Shore which is another lively bar lined place

Theme Parks are aplenty too. 17year may be too old for Disneyland so Id go for Knotts Berry Farm for cheaper less crowded (but still crowded!) alternative.
Dozens of museums... Wilshire bvd  and Exposition Park have a few close to each other the latter has the Space Shuttle
MIssions San Juan Capistrano and Santa Barbara are probably the best missions in all of California.
Downtown is alright... its sorta half deserted apart from the homeless population. Walt Disney concert Hall is interesting, Olvera St too.
There is also the Griffith Observatory good view and the building is interesting, and Hollywood Bvld (wouldnt reccomend it)
You could thow in a desert too. The Carizo Plain is probably the most accesible if your coming down the 101, if your coming down the 5 the Mojave. They're seriously hot in summer but you'd probably just drive through. Dont take Rois's advice and go to Palm Springs if going in summer whatever you do!

BTW Socal generally speaking just refers to the LA metro ironically doesnt usually include San Diego . Personally dont see what the big deal is with San Diego kinda just like LA with less traffic

Regarding the traffic even if its bad you'll probably not find it too bad. You'll loose a bit of time sure but you'll just brush it off as your on holiday. It takes 6months  or so of sitting in 8 lanes of stop go traffic to grind you down into a lunatic.

Also should mention wine region in around Monterrey Bay is very good, around Morgan Hill I think not crowded and dont usually charge for tasting. Easily Accessible on the way south from San Francisco

Rois

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 01, 2018, 08:45:00 PM

You could thow in a desert too. The Carizo Plain is probably the most accesible if your coming down the 101, if your coming down the 5 the Mojave. They're seriously hot in summer but you'd probably just drive through. Dont take Rois's advice and go to Palm Springs if going in summer whatever you do!

Hold on ye cheeky article, I did not at any stage recommend that someone with a 17 year old visit Palm Springs, whatever the time of year.

armaghniac

I think Seattle to San Diego is a lot, Seattle needs a few days itself before you go anywhere, likewise San Diego at the end.
There would be more happening in California than along the WA or OR coast, although the scenery is beautiful there, maybe more for the teenager.  A male teenager might be interested in the USS Iowa in LA Port or the USS Midway in San Diego, and some second world war stuff in Orange County, including Hitler's car.

The Socal beaches are very busy at weekends, I'd suggest driving that way during the week, while getting around LA might be easier at the weekend.  Huntington Beach is more Baywatch and Laguna beach more on the classy side. Yosemite is very busy in the summer and advance booking of accommodation is needed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: Rois on February 01, 2018, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 01, 2018, 08:45:00 PM

Hold on ye cheeky article, I did not at any stage recommend that someone with a 17 year old visit Palm Springs, whatever the time of year.

:D :D Fishin is another good passtime you can partake in the California ;D

BTW  Big Bear or maybe even Idylwild are much closer ski resorts to Palm Springs, you go do a round a golf in the morning and hit the pistes in the afternoon. Snow might be chancey but.

manfromdelmonte

the Oregon coast is a long drive alright

I think you need to decide what exactly you want to see

Seattle? two full days is enough tbh
San Fran? 3 days would be enough

you could just go inland and hit the highway for a day or two to get from WA to Nor Cal

Don Johnson

Probably asked before in the thread but any recommendations for toddler friendly hotels down south? Must have a pool and preferably some other facilities to keep a two year old occupied!

Even the likes that would have separate cottages or something but you could still use the main hotel's facilities?

Newbridge Exile

Roganstown hotel outside Swords we found good for a break with our toddler

Avondhu star

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 10, 2018, 11:25:47 AM
Probably asked before in the thread but any recommendations for toddler friendly hotels down south? Must have a pool and preferably some other facilities to keep a two year old occupied!

Even the likes that would have separate cottages or something but you could still use the main hotel's facilities?
Hodson Bay Hotel Athlone is very child friendly. Good facilities on banks of Shannon
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

laoislad

Middle child is obsessed with Thomas the tank engine so we are thinking of going to Thomas Land/Drayton Manor theme park in the UK.
Has anyone been?
We will take the car on the ferry to Holyhead and drive on to a hotel near Thomas Land which I think isn't that far from Birmingham.
Will be going for about 4 days so if anyone has recommendations of anything else we could do while there that would be great as we won't be spending the 4 days in the park.
Thanks.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Booked to go to Iceland Tuesday week on a whim last night  ;D. Only £200 return for three of us. Anybody got any useful info??

armaghniac

Quote from: Boycey on March 17, 2018, 10:43:28 AM
Booked to go to Iceland Tuesday week on a whim last night  ;D. Only £200 return for three of us. Anybody got any useful info??

Bring a coat and lots of money.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Boycey

Quote from: armaghniac on March 17, 2018, 03:33:20 PM
Quote from: Boycey on March 17, 2018, 10:43:28 AM

Bring a coat and lots of money.

You're not wrong about the money,  was just pricing the Blue Lagoon there.. :-[

Ty4Sam

Was in Iceland last year. Fantastic place but easily the most expensive place I've been. £10 a pint during happy hour! 😂 There's a supermarket in the baggage collection area at the airport. Stock up on drink here, if you drink, as it's the cheapest drink you'll get. We hired a car, would recommend this, cheap way to get around. Blue Lagoon is great, you can stay til close so the earlier you get in the better. Very laid back country with amazing scenery!