You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 20, 2019, 08:22:07 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on January 20, 2019, 01:01:49 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 20, 2019, 06:31:42 AM
People who misidentify perfectly acceptable UK/Ireland English words as Americanisms, or worse, "Anericanisms."

Example?

Are you serious?

Good one - people definitely say that here too.

cornerback

Quote from: ONeill on January 20, 2019, 06:32:26 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on January 18, 2019, 07:39:20 PM
Quote from: dec on January 18, 2019, 07:30:41 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on January 18, 2019, 06:55:20 PM
Quote from: dec on January 18, 2019, 06:51:31 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on January 18, 2019, 06:43:10 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 18, 2019, 06:23:49 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on January 18, 2019, 10:45:07 AM
Quote from: awideisneverasgood on July 06, 2018, 11:01:23 AM
1 - Joggers running on the road beside the pavement.

2 - Joggers running along country roads with no pavements with headphones on.

People who use Anerican terms.

Where's the American terms in there?
Pavement you tool

The American term is sidewalk, the Irish/British term is pavement.

The Irish term is footpath. Them crumby yanks use the word pavement for the street

And the Irish use the term footpath or pavement for the bit beside the street that you walk on.

Never heard pavement used in Tyrone.

Away til fcuk. Used it all the time.

In Tyrone they usually say "fudpad"

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

I've heard pavement here, meaning the path. In the states pavement is for the road itself, and sidewalk is for the path. At this stage I can't remember what context the OP was castigated for :)

general_lee

Quote from: tintin25 on January 15, 2019, 10:09:42 AM
'Accidents' on the Westlink.

People who use the Applegreen Stations to bypass traffic.
I have to say they really need to introduce motorway driving onto the driving test, how f**king hard is it to leave your phone be and keep a safe distance from the car in front without driving into the back of some ****. And then we have everyone nosey **** slowing down to have a look after they stand outside their cars with their two arms at one length blocking a carriage way instead of at least moving onto the hard shoulder. Right enough like motorways are the roads that require the least "driving" yet there were at least three collisions on the M1 today  >:(

tintin25

Quote from: general_lee on January 22, 2019, 08:11:40 PM

I have to say they really need to introduce motorway driving onto the driving test, how f**king hard is it to leave your phone be and keep a safe distance from the car in front without driving into the back of some ****. And then we have everyone nosey **** slowing down to have a look after they stand outside their cars with their two arms at one length blocking a carriage way instead of at least moving onto the hard shoulder. Right enough like motorways are the roads that require the least "driving" yet there were at least three collisions on the M1 today  >:(

Oh, I hear ya!

It's really frustrating.  Can't get over the amount of accidents on the M1/Westlink.  Unless the damage is serious, just move your fcuken car out of the road!  Then their are the idiots who constantly weave in and out of lanes.

Therealdonald

Letting someone out in front of you, or letting someone cross the road where there's no zebra crossing, then the bastids don't put the hand up.

laoislad

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 22, 2019, 08:58:40 PM
Letting someone out in front of you, or letting someone cross the road where there's no zebra crossing, then the bastids don't put the hand up.
Cnuts
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

Quote from: tintin25 on January 22, 2019, 08:36:52 PM

Oh, I hear ya!

It's really frustrating.  Can't get over the amount of accidents on the M1/Westlink.  Unless the damage is serious, just move your fcuken car out of the road!  Then their are the idiots who constantly weave in and out of lanes.

I've a simpler solution.

Tax corporate parking at £10k pa, make the leasing of private housing parking spaces illegal, plus during the working week set a sliding scale whereby parking for more than 4 hours in one car park costs at least £50, and set a minimum fine of £200 for anyone who uses the same off-street parking zone twice in one day.

Then watch while everyone leaves their car at home.

Tony Baloney

Oh, I hear ya!

The Westlink may as well be a tunnel though as there is little to no room to manoeuvre if there is a crash. Agree with motorway drivers here. Everybody treats the outside lane as the "fast lane" instead of overtaking and moving back inside. That combined with driving 10 foot from the car in front is a recipe for disaster.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2019, 09:05:35 PM

Oh, I hear ya!

I've a simpler solution.

Tax corporate parking at £10k pa, make the leasing of private housing parking spaces illegal, plus during the working week set a sliding scale whereby parking for more than 4 hours in one car park costs at least £50, and set a minimum fine of £200 for anyone who uses the same off-street parking zone twice in one day.

And get to work how?

Taylor

Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2019, 10:17:20 AM

Oh, I hear ya!

I've a simpler solution.

And get to work how?

;D ;D

Great idea...........the city would then become a ghost town with companies moving out as they cant get staff.

The London 'congestion charge' works well because the infrastructure is there to take people in and out of the city.

The infrastructure in Belfast is a disgrace. Introducing any of the changes above and the economic situation in the North reaches rock bottom

take_yer_points

The change dispensed from them self service tills.

If something costs 50p and I put in £1, the change will come out a 20p,  2 x 10p, 5p, 2p and 3 X 1p. Pain in the hole

Eamonnca1

Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2019, 10:17:20 AM

Oh, I hear ya!

I've a simpler solution.

And get to work how?
Bus for the people that find it convenient. Train for the people that find it convenient. Bike for the people that find it convenient. Leaves more road space for the people that absolutely have to take cars. Cars take up too much room per person, it's entirely appropriate that there should be disincentives for single-occupancy vehicles.

general_lee

Belfast and the north in general doesn't have the infrastructure to properly utilise public transport. The trains are full. The gliders are full. The cycle lanes are pathetic and not much incentive for a car dependent city. And yet the roads into and out of Belfast are still like a car park at rush hour. I know people who commute to Belfast and at peak times aren't always guaranteed to have room to get onto the train never mind get a seat or standing room