Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 09, 2017, 01:20:38 PM
Quote from: stew on December 09, 2017, 12:59:31 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 09, 2017, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: stew on December 09, 2017, 12:12:16 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 09, 2017, 11:42:35 AM
Wasn't a Chinese that bet her in Olympics.

Yes it was.

Not a Romanian?

Szabo defected to China and finished her career at 29 years of age, he mother was Chinese and she was also the doctor who administered the dope to the three Chinese bastes who beat Sonia, true story!

Are you fishing or on wind up? Her Mum is Romanian, her father Hungarian.

LOL A wind up, you knew before you asked who beat o'Sullivan, so did I, she is my favourite Irish athlete of all time (Female) I do think that Szabo was doping to beat her and I think that if athletes that she competed against had been clean this whole question would be moot because you would have been able to take your pick of multiple Sonia wins on the world stage to choose from.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mrdeeds

Quote from: stew on December 09, 2017, 02:16:36 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 09, 2017, 01:20:38 PM
Quote from: stew on December 09, 2017, 12:59:31 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 09, 2017, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: stew on December 09, 2017, 12:12:16 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 09, 2017, 11:42:35 AM
Wasn't a Chinese that bet her in Olympics.

Yes it was.

Not a Romanian?

Szabo defected to China and finished her career at 29 years of age, he mother was Chinese and she was also the doctor who administered the dope to the three Chinese bastes who beat Sonia, true story!

Are you fishing or on wind up? Her Mum is Romanian, her father Hungarian.

LOL A wind up, you knew before you asked who beat o'Sullivan, so did I, she is my favourite Irish athlete of all time (Female) I do think that Szabo was doping to beat her and I think that if athletes that she competed against had been clean this whole question would be moot because you would have been able to take your pick of multiple Sonia wins on the world stage to choose from.

Well there are questions over her after one of her entourage was caught with a car full of performance enhancers. Plus she retired at 29 due to "exhaustion". Sonia's silver a great moment too. A kind of redemption after previous experience in Olympics.

Esmarelda

Would Rob Heffernan's World Championship win in 2013 not be as good an achievement as O'Sullivan's?

Maybe walking isn't a real sport. Loads of people just watch the walking for the party afterwards and most of them have never walked in their life. ;)

nrico2006

How do we know O'Sullivan wasnt doping - just because she was Irish, looked civil and seemed nice enough?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 09, 2017, 05:35:20 PM
Would Rob Heffernan's World Championship win in 2013 not be as good an achievement as O'Sullivan's?

Maybe walking isn't a real sport. Loads of people just watch the walking for the party afterwards and most of them have never walked in their life. ;)

Walking is a sport but it'd bore a monk to tears.

Anyone trying to discredit sports as sports needs to get their ego in check.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on December 09, 2017, 06:34:30 PM

Some sports are better than others, some "sports" aren't even really sports, they merely require a lot of dedication and hard work and pretty much zero in the way of natural skill or ability

Esmarelda

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 09, 2017, 08:30:22 PM

[/quote

Some sports are better than others, some "sports" aren't even really sports, they merely require a lot of dedication and hard work and pretty much zero in the way of natural skill or ability
My goodness, is that a climb down? Some sports aren't really sports?

stew

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2017, 06:08:16 PM
How do we know O'Sullivan wasnt doping - just because she was Irish, looked civil and seemed nice enough?

She never tested positive for steroids and never was under investigation for steroid use, that said and to your point we simply dont know.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 10, 2017, 09:00:55 AM

Is it a climbdown? No

Is it a recognition that some people deem events that should not be considered as sports, as sports? Yes.

The likes of weightlifting, rugby, etc require things like size, a lot of gym work and a considerable amount of steroids.

Events like walking just involve taking a form of exercise very seriously.

They are absent of skill.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 10, 2017, 01:45:27 PM

Is it a climbdown? No

Is it a recognition that some people deem events that should not be considered as sports, as sports? Yes.

The likes of weightlifting, rugby, etc require things like size, a lot of gym work and a considerable amount of steroids.

Massively sweeping statement regarding weightlifting. Maybe you're getting t mixed up with body building?

bennydorano

I seriously doubt any Sport is absent of skill. What actually makes a skill? Is there any one skill that will win you anything? Even in the obvious 'skill' sports such as Darts or Snooker you need so much more than 'skill'. Preperation, tactics, endurance, mental toughness, (among numerous other things) all combine to make a 'skill' that a skillful athlete makes look easy.

lenny

Is it a climbdown? No

Quite a high number of soccer players are totally devoid of skill including most Irish players. They are just physically strong and hard working. They can't trap a ball, pass the ball or use their weaker foot.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on December 10, 2017, 02:32:02 PM

Is it a climbdown? No

Quite a high number of soccer players are totally devoid of skill including most Irish players. They are just physically strong and hard working. They can't trap a ball, pass the ball or use their weaker foot.

I doubt they are devoid of skill. To make it as a professional in football is very tough to do. It's easier to make it to the highest level of international rugby than it is to make it in non-league football.

Who was the Irish Rugby international who took up Rugby when he was around 18? Says it all really.

Syferus

It's hard to score when the goal posts are on wheels.

AZOffaly

Is that the Bull Hayes you're talking about? I think he was 18 or so before he played Rugby. Mind you he was tackling cattle for a while before that.