?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Main Street

Quote from: illdecide on December 07, 2017, 01:51:23 PM
Celtic have always got a tough group in CL (seeding doesn't help).

Jasus Tony 67? I know Inter had and prob always will have a bigger budget than Celtic but Celtic were one of the top teams in the World then and for a decade after too.

Dunno where BR got his info from but i did hear him saying Anderlecht had a bigger budget than Celtic's...
Not that it should have been mentioned by Brendan but Anderlecht do have an annual player wage bill of about Eur40m, last season I thought they made Man U work hard for their EL victory. They were crap in their home game v Celtic but have improved a lot since then. I think Celtic will do alright in the EL even if they didn't handle that final CL game with great finesse.

T Fearon

I think Brendan is facing his most challenging period now.The Champions League Campaign cannot be in any way regarded as successful,thank God we were fortunate to meet an Anderlecht side out of sorts in Belgium.Over the last few league games the invincible domestic record has been seriously threatened.Celtic a couple of months ago would not have surrendered a two goal lead at Hibs.

Brendan's stock will not be raised by winning trophies in Scotland,it will only be by doing things in Europe and that has been an abject failure,and I think he knows this.Another heavy defeat in the Europa League,where they are unseeded,could well see things unravel.It would be hard for the support to have much enthusiasm for the remainder of the domestic season,even if another treble is secured.

Celtic were well beaten by Anderlecht at home,even though the score was only one nil,and while there is an excuse for PSG and Bayern Munich doing this,there is none for being outclassed by Anderlecht at home.

Main Street

Anderlecht impressed in Celtic Park until they scored, then they chose to protect their winning margin in what was a stunning lack of ambition, unless they had just blown their gasket fitness wise.

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on December 10, 2017, 08:42:18 PM
I think Brendan is facing his most challenging period now.The Champions League Campaign cannot be in any way regarded as successful,thank God we were fortunate to meet an Anderlecht side out of sorts in Belgium.Over the last few league games the invincible domestic record has been seriously threatened.Celtic a couple of months ago would not have surrendered a two goal lead at Hibs.

Brendan's stock will not be raised by winning trophies in Scotland,it will only be by doing things in Europe and that has been an abject failure,and I think he knows this.Another heavy defeat in the Europa League,where they are unseeded,could well see things unravel.It would be hard for the support to have much enthusiasm for the remainder of the domestic season,even if another treble is secured.

Celtic were well beaten by Anderlecht at home,even though the score was only one nil,and while there is an excuse for PSG and Bayern Munich doing this,there is none for being outclassed by Anderlecht at home.

You don't know the celtic support

general_lee

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 11, 2017, 09:06:55 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42292297

interesting read
Champions league is shite to be honest. As is football in general. The most powerful clubs nowadays are clubs like City and PSG who have no tradition. Players just follow the money. The romance is long gone. Clubs like Celtic are an afterthought, even though they epitomise, or should epitomise, what European football is all about.

illdecide

Good shout General Lee...sad but true.

Celtic's defensive performance was really poor yesterday, i know the conditions were poor too but we really are a shambles and i'm waiting patiently to see what BR does either in January or summer for signings.
Why is BR not trying out K. Ajer more, anytime i've seen him play he's been decent and with him being so young it's the only way to develop him. Our central defense is so poor i can't believe we're unbeaten domestically for so long and Lustig is def getting caught out more and more these days too...big Boyata was poor yesterday again too...K Tierney is the only one we can rely on atm and even he's not playing the way he was earlier in the season.
Maybe the game are catching up on the legs now having played 32 competitive games already and if we can just make it to the winter break unbeaten and recharge the batteries...here's hoping.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Applesisapples

Celtic could and should have won this game at a canter, they spurned chances in the first half. That said fair play to Neil Lennon he used his knowledge of Celtic and their players to set his team up. Added to that he started players with points to prove. When they scrambled the goal it give His the impetus to attack and Celtic looked a little jaded. I think it is hard for all teams to play well domestically the weekend after a CL game and in this Celtic were no different. Hibs deserved the draw. At least Brendan did not behave like that tool Klopp.

ashman

Quote from: general_lee on December 11, 2017, 10:33:05 AM

interesting read
Champions league is shite to be honest. As is football in general. The most powerful clubs nowadays are clubs like City and PSG who have no tradition. Players just follow the money. The romance is long gone. Clubs like Celtic are an afterthought, even though they epitomise, or should epitomise, what European football is all about.

Man City have a great tradition .  A great old club with a really good local support base .   An Irishman following a Scottish club complaining about money ruining European football .  People need to get a grip .  This is a professional globalised sport , is is showbiz . 

illdecide

general_lee

Quote from: ashman on December 11, 2017, 11:18:36 AM

interesting read

Man City have a great tradition .  A great old club with a really good local support base .   An Irishman following a Scottish club complaining about money ruining European football .  People need to get a grip .  This is a professional globalised sport , is is showbiz . 
Yeah great tradition in Europe alright. They've always been stalwarts on the European stage ::)

Celtic get Zenit. Another tough draw

tonto1888

Quote from: general_lee on December 11, 2017, 12:39:29 PM
Quote from: ashman on December 11, 2017, 11:18:36 AM

interesting read

Yeah great tradition in Europe alright. They've always been stalwarts on the European stage ::)

Celtic get Zenit. Another tough draw

And one which we wont progress from sadly

illdecide

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers says the Russian winter break could work in his side's favour when they face Zenit St Petersburg in the Europa League.

Rodgers' men have been drawn to face Roberto Mancini's side in February.

The Russian season closes down this month and Zenit will not play a competitive match in the period before their last-32 tie.

Rodgers says "it doesn't make it the easiest" having to play big matches after long periods of inactivity.

But he says "it works both ways" as Celtic have the same issue in the summer when they play Champions League qualifying matches.

The Scottish champions were in the unseeded pot for the first of the tournament's knockout rounds.

They finished third in their Champions League group, following last week's home defeat by Anderlecht, to drop into Europe's second-tier competition.

Celtic host Zenit on 15 February and travel to St Petersburg on 22 February.

Roberto Mancini
Italian Mancini was previously boss of Manchester City
Following a third-place finish last season, Zenit are currently fourth in Russia's Premier League, behind Krasnodar, Spartak Moscow and Lokomotiv Moscow.

They play their last match on Monday (11 December), against Akhmat Grozny, before almost a three-month winter break, with league fixtures not resuming until 4 March.

Zenit, who beat Rangers in the 2008 final to win the Uefa Cup, and went on to win the Uefa Super Cup that year, have won the Russian title five times.

They have former Chelsea defenders Branislav Ivanovic and Yuri Zhirkov in their squad, as well as a host of Russian internationals, including Viktor Fayzulin and Igor Smolnikov, and Italy international Domenico Criscito.

Zenit dominated Europa League Group L on their way to the knockout stage. The Russians finished top of the pool on 16 points after five wins and one draw, with Real Sociedad four points adrift in second. Rosenborg and FK Vardar finished third and fourth.

Zenit also finished the group stage campaign as the competition's top scorers with 17 from their six matches - they conceded just five goals.

ashman

The Celtic v Zenit tie will be close .  Dundalk gave them plenty of it last year .

Main Street

Anderlecht beat them 2 nil in the first home leg at the same stage in last year's EL (round of32). 
Zenit were winning 3 nil in the 2nd leg until Anderlecht equalised the tie with a last minute goal and won through to the next round.