Rats deserting the sinking ship!

Started by comethekingdom, January 06, 2011, 09:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 07, 2011, 12:32:37 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on January 06, 2011, 09:57:53 PM
Reports this evening that there will be only about 60 sitting FF TD's heading into the next election.
Looks like some of these gangsters/parasites havent even the balls to face the electorate and take the hiding that they deserve. Instead they are retiring for various " health/family/personal" reasons and laughing and sniggering at us all with their self imposed pension entitelements and severance payoffs etc. It makes me sick I'll tell ya.  >:( >:(
My guess is that there will be considerably less than 60 when the fun begins.
Just wait until the full extent of the budget cuts become clear. Most ministers know they will never plant their asses on a cabinet seat again so they may as well get out now. I kinda feel sorry for a lot of the backbenchers.
Most of them are gobshites okay but they had no say in banjaxing the country. They are the ones who will takes the abuse and probably lose their seats while the Biffo and his accomplices will probably scrape back in.
Do backbenchers not vote with the government?

Zapatista

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 07, 2011, 01:02:20 PM
Interesting, though not surprising, that you pick out Willie O'Dea and his misdemeanours when the country is financially crippled.

Why's that interesting and not surprising? It's not surprising as he is the perfect example of someone who will escape this supposed FF slaughter.

I picked O'Dea as his ethics are known, he's an ex-minister and he is definately running. He is also a def to retain his seat. The same reason I asked about O'Donaghue but I don't know for sure if he will run.

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2011, 12:57:06 PM
Do you think so?  They get a later election but is it going to make any difference ?
The country is ruined. There is no positive spin they can put on that. 

You under estimate the ability of FF to run an election campaign. Once they start they are very impressive.  The fella that ran in the Donegal by-election was very impressive and probably suffered due to it being a by election and Doherty's popularity.

I see they already got to Lar.

Kerry Mike

QuoteThe same reason I asked about O'Donaghue but I don't know for sure if he will run.

He's in at the moment, and the hoor will probably get back in too, done loads for all sports clubs etc in Kerry , he is a f**ker but people will still vote for him , not too many new names cropping up, Ferris's daughter is supposed to run in Kerry South, though she wont get one from me, a vote that is  !
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Zapatista

Quote from: Kerry Mike on January 07, 2011, 02:46:20 PM
He's in at the moment, and the hoor will probably get back in too, done loads for all sports clubs etc in Kerry , he is a f**ker but people will still vote for him , not too many new names cropping up, Ferris's daughter is supposed to run in Kerry South, though she wont get one from me, a vote that is  !

Another man who deserted his ship :P

Boycey

Quote from: Banana Man on January 07, 2011, 01:05:08 PM
i actually reckon this is a FF ploy, the big offenders or who the public would perceive to be have been identified by the party. They have said to themselves, if we get rid of them, replace with fresh blood and promise sweeping changes, starting with the clearout then the people might believe us. It could be a very savvy move, also it could be me giving them far to much credit....

I'd say its definitely a ploy although curiously a lot of those not standing would probably have held on to their seats due to favours done locally in their constituencies with less established FF Td's falling by the wayside. By removing themselves now and taking the beating that is coming FF can sit back for the next 5 years and watch the new government struggle to right the country and who'll be there in 2016 to save the country? A re-invented "peoples" FF.

Canalman

Can see why some are annoyed about certain FF TDs stepping down pre election. We will indeed be denied our auto da fé on election night.

However I still think FF will poll 22/25% at the GE and get c 40 seats.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Boycey on January 07, 2011, 03:32:57 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on January 07, 2011, 01:05:08 PM
i actually reckon this is a FF ploy, the big offenders or who the public would perceive to be have been identified by the party. They have said to themselves, if we get rid of them, replace with fresh blood and promise sweeping changes, starting with the clearout then the people might believe us. It could be a very savvy move, also it could be me giving them far to much credit....

I'd say its definitely a ploy although curiously a lot of those not standing would probably have held on to their seats due to favours done locally in their constituencies with less established FF Td's falling by the wayside. But by removing themselves now and taking the beating that is coming allows FF to sit back for the next 5 years and watch the new government struggle to right the country who'll be there in 2016 to save the country? A re-invented "peoples" FF.
Good point there. You can see that happening, people have short memories. They couldnt wait to get rid of the Tories in the UK and get Blair in, fast forward a few years and its the other way around!

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zapatista on January 07, 2011, 02:15:29 PM

You under estimate the ability of FF to run an election campaign. Once they start they are very impressive.  The fella that ran in the Donegal by-election was very impressive and probably suffered due to it being a by election and Doherty's popularity.

You are dead right, Zap. No one does elections like FF. The party has cumanns and comhairle cheanntars in every one of the 43 constituencies and there are activists in every area that will canvass and get cars out on election day and put up posters and the likes.
Fine Gael is next best on this list but Lab and Sinn Fein don't have the structures at grass roots level to poll well throughout the country. If there are floating voters in any constituency, FF is the most likely bet to pick them up.  They will have their directors of elections, press officers, printers etc. up and running before the GE is called. There is also the legendary hard core vote to keep in mind; those who vote FF at all times—the 'loyalaty' brigade.
FF will be hoping for a low turnout; the lower the better is what they always want. They know a relatively high percentage of the 'loyalaty' will always turn out so the fewer the better after that.

No, I haven't sold out; it's just that I'd prefer to meet Batt O'Keefe before Ned O'Keefe if I were to meet either on my doorstep. Both will get lots of stick but Ned didn't help to feck up the country and may very well lose his seat. Batt, with a bit of luck, will get the bum's rush too but will have his ministerial pension to help soften the blow.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

Our great FF TD Michael Finneran also jumped before he was pushed no doubt he was scared shitless of Ming the Merciless
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

comethekingdom

Apparently, FF have no money for an election campaign and they are in debt. FG on the otherhand are believed to be well financed!

Zapatista

Quote from: comethekingdom on January 07, 2011, 11:05:08 PM
Apparently, FF have no money for an election campaign and they are in debt. FG on the otherhand are believed to be well financed!

FF see spending on an election as an investment. The money will show up.

Maguire01

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 07, 2011, 10:49:10 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on January 07, 2011, 02:15:29 PM

You are dead right, Zap. No one does elections like FF. The party has cumanns and comhairle cheanntars in every one of the 43 constituencies and there are activists in every area that will canvass and get cars out on election day and put up posters and the likes.
Fine Gael is next best on this list but Lab and Sinn Fein don't have the structures at grass roots level to poll well throughout the country. If there are floating voters in any constituency, FF is the most likely bet to pick them up.  They will have their directors of elections, press officers, printers etc. up and running before the GE is called. There is also the legendary hard core vote to keep in mind; those who vote FF at all times—the 'loyalaty' brigade.
FF will be hoping for a low turnout; the lower the better is what they always want. They know a relatively high percentage of the 'loyalaty' will always turn out so the fewer the better after that.
No, I haven't sold out; it's just that I'd prefer to meet Batt O'Keefe before Ned O'Keefe if I were to meet either on my doorstep. Both will get lots of stick but Ned didn't help to feck up the country and may very well lose his seat. Batt, with a bit of luck, will get the bum's rush too but will have his ministerial pension to help soften the blow.
Not so sure about that. I'd imagine that a substantial number of FF 'semi-loyalists' won't be able to give their vote to another party but won't vote for FF either this time. They could be the people who stay at home. And otherwise, it's very difficult to imagine we'll have a low turnout for this one.

Zapatista

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 07, 2011, 10:49:10 PM

True. If you vote for Ned you'll get it back three fold. If you don't vote for need, you can eat cake. In fairness to Ned he is on record as saying he regrets voting for NAMA. THe problem is though he is also on record for voting for NAMA.

http://www.publicinquiry.eu/2009/07/02/ned-okeeffe-let-them-eat-cake/

My target for FF TDs is a healthy Zero.

Bord na Mona man

This proves that most of them were never in it serve the public in the proper sense.
The thrill of being buttered up by big shots and developers at fundraisers and getting perks like chauffer driven cars made the job worthwhile. 

Being in opposition means you'd spend your time raising issues and concerns in the Dáil, trying to pick flaws in legislation and keeping check on the government.