Cavan v Donegal USFC Preliminary Round May 20th

Started by BallyhaiseMan, May 14, 2012, 05:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Well lads/ladies
6 days left until D-Day.
I can't see see anything but a Donegal win.The only question is, Will we show a bit of fight and make them work for it and give them a tough game unlike what happened last year.

rodney trotter

Can't be any worse than last year but that wouldn't be hard.. Probaly drop Fergal Flanagan back as a sweeper in front of Mcfadden. Not sure who will start alongside Givney since Mckiernan is out,
Its hard to know what sort of team will start as none of the u21's were involved during the league like last year. I'd have a full forward line of Mcdermott, Keating and either Fitz or Dunne, half foward lime of Fergal Flanagan for some power and strength, Mckeever in the centre and either Niall Smith for his speed or Cullivan similar to flanagan win some breaks and get stuck in. Wouldn't know about the rest of the team.

BallyhaiseMan

You would imagine Niall McDermott and Martin Dunne would be the two corner forwards,however we have to take into account Jack Brady,will he start and will it be in the full or half forward line?
Hyland/Forde were experimenting with Keating in the half back line a few weeks ago,so where he will play,is anyones guess.
Ray had a very good game at Centre Field against Antrim and would be unlucky to miss out,but you also have to take into account McCutcheon coming back,whom if fit will more than likely start.

rodney trotter

Yeah Jack Brady would be another option, Martin Dunne showed up well during the league so i couldn't see him being dropped although he is only back a few weeks from injury. McCutheon plays most of his club football around the middle but i dont think he was ever tried there before with Cavan apart from the challenge game last week. He is worth his place on the team somehere,very solid player. Be a big ask for Fannin in nets if he is selected,.

Captain Obvious

Preliminary round Antrim v Donegal last year was one of the worst games of the year i hope this game is better spectacle.

mylestheslasher

I don't expect many changes for Cavan from the league, simply because there has been no time since hyland took over to really implement the changes. McCutcheon is in there but it is unlikely he could be sufficiently fit enough for 70 minutes of championship football. Personally, I expect nothing but I will travel in hope. Donegal are red hot favourites and I think the score could get nasty for us. I just hope our lads have a plan and play to the best of their abilities.

rodney trotter

Ryan Bradley and Christy Toye do alot of damage in the half forward line for Donegal. Very good players when they get going, maybe bring Ronan Flanagan out as half back and stick in Oisin Moynagh as a corner back with Barkey in the other corner. Scoring 5pts against Down doesn't bode well. Fairly good minor team again this year, hopefully they will give us something to shout about again this year.

RMDrive

I'd expect us to line out like this ....

Durkan
McGrath McGee McGlynn
Thompson Lacey McLoone
Gallagher McElhinney
Kavangh Bradley McHugh
McBrearty McFadden Walsh

With Walsh droping backing leaving a 2 man FF line.

Onion Bag

I happened to be up in Donegal at the weekend, and went for a walk and came across the Donegal team training. I noticed that Neil Gallagher and Colm mc fadden had full tracksuits on them and were not training at all. Michael Murphy was doing a light bit or work and Neil mc gee was on an exercise bike on the side of the pitch. They seem to be seriously struggling with injuries , time will tell
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Orior

Does anyone else think that Cavan could be this year's dark horses?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Orior on May 14, 2012, 10:24:36 PM
50/1 to win Ulster - the bookies are not that far wrong.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Onion Bag on May 14, 2012, 10:23:51 PM
I happened to be up in Donegal at the weekend, and went for a walk and came across the Donegal team training. I noticed that Neil Gallagher and Colm mc fadden had full tracksuits on them and were not training at all. Michael Murphy was doing a light bit or work and Neil mc gee was on an exercise bike on the side of the pitch. They seem to be seriously struggling with injuries , time will tell

Now don't be giving us hope.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rodney trotter

If Cavan get over Donegal which is a big if, they meet Derry and if they get past them its Tyrone/Armagh in the Semi's, so from the performances in the league them odds are justified.

western exile

Quote from: Orior on May 14, 2012, 10:24:36 PM
Yes, I do too.  They will not win Ulster as they are on the more difficult side of the draw and they have to start from the preliminary round. However, by July they will be better prepared and could get a good run in the qualifiers.  There is a lot of young up and coming talent in Cavan.

Westside

Lads this whole "up and coming talent" thing is overrated. We had solid U21 players coming through but no superstars. It will be another short summer for Cavan. Although I do expect improved performances and I don't think we will make it too easy for Donegal.