Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

The Nobody Zone is an excellent podcast, about the Irish serial killer in London.

Billys Boots

Quote from: cicfada on March 25, 2020, 01:35:53 AM
The Nobody Zone is an excellent podcast, about the Irish serial killer in London.

+1, really enjoying that too. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

laoislad

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 25, 2020, 09:12:25 AM
Quote from: cicfada on March 25, 2020, 01:35:53 AM

+1, really enjoying that too.
Have been listening to it while out running.
A good Laois man he was too 🙈
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: screenexile on March 23, 2020, 12:56:01 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on March 23, 2020, 12:26:46 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 23, 2020, 12:19:56 PM
I follow very few as I don't get to listen to many but when I get a chance i'll listen to the below:

OTB Golf Podcast - Usually once a week
Blindboy Podcast - I only listen to the live podcasts wouldn't be greatly fussed on the others
Full Disclosure with James O'Brien - Some very good interviews with interesting people on it
Ireland Unfiltered with Dion Fanning - Again some good interviews
The Stand with Dunphy - I really enjoy the gangland stuff he did and he has some good interviews as well
Joe Rogan Podcast - I dip in and out if there's a gues I want to listen to. Derren Brown/Tyson Fury/Bill Burr/Jamie Foxx some good ones

I'm sure there are many other good ones but that's what I get the chance to listen to. I'd love to get into Bob Mortimer's podcast Athletico Mince I think he's hilarious and have heard some good skits from it.

Enjoy Dunphy too, although he often goes easy on some of the guests, regardless of their views. Brendan O'Neill is a regular contributor ("Ardent Brexiteer" is quoted almost as often as Tesco Finest!) and Ben Lowry was on recently. Wouldn't mind him or possibly another guest on at the same time to grill these pair on their views.

Brendan O'Neill is an absolutely vile piece of shit!!

I actually feel sorry for Lowry I think he is genuinely stupid and is struggling with the move towards unification!!
You can add Owen Polley onto that list with Lowry ,

Main Street

On RTE's website  there's a very decent library of their radio documentaries, available as podcasts for download
https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_documentaryonone.xml

With RTE's website, rule of thumb is turn off adblockers

square_ball

Colin Murray's new one is very good and his At Home series is worth a listen as well.

lurganblue

Thanks for The Nobody Zone recommendation.  Really enjoyed that.  Similar style to the Maddie podcast series.  I had never heard of Ciaran Kelly beforehand so this was all new to me.  Fascinating stuff.

trailer

Yeah Nobody Zone was excellent. Is there any others that are similar that are worth listening to?

Main Street

I listened to the Stand episode 493 with the 3 lads Dunphy Giles Brady picking their best EPL team of this season.
The discussion had hardly started in earnest when war broke out as the young pup Brady took umbrage with one Giles' selections.
And then it was Dunphy's role to calm the storm.
Good fun and possibly a twinge of bias against Man City, hardly noticable though..

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on April 08, 2020, 07:12:18 PM
I listened to the Stand episode 493 with the 3 lads Dunphy Giles Brady picking their best EPL team of this season.
The discussion had hardly started in earnest when war broke out as the young pup Brady took umbrage with one Giles' selections.
Good fun and possibly a twinge of bias against Man City, hardly noticable though..
Haven't listened to that one yet, but when the 3 lads are together they are great fun. Dunphy dislikes City (being a curious mix of a Liverpool supporter and ex-ManU (reserves) player). Giles would generally defend City when Dunphy goes too far. They all hate Pogba, and Ozil too!

Dunphy's covering Covid well, interviews about Spain, Italy, Sweden as well as Ireland, UK, US

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on April 08, 2020, 09:46:16 PM
Haven't listened to that one yet, but when the 3 lads are together they are great fun. Dunphy dislikes City (being a curious mix of a Liverpool supporter and ex-ManU (reserves) player). Giles would generally defend City when Dunphy goes too far. They all hate Pogba, and Ozil too!

Dunphy's covering Covid well, interviews about Spain, Italy, Sweden as well as Ireland, UK, US
Only Brady picked de Bruine ;D

I listened to Stand podcast 683, an interview with the Sweden based journalist Philip O'Connor about covid there. My (non-Irish) wife passing by eavesdropped and remarked with the understatement ´jesus, that guy talks fast'.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Main Street on April 10, 2020, 04:41:54 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 08, 2020, 09:46:16 PM

Only Brady picked de Bruine ;D

I listened to Stand podcast 683, an interview with the Sweden based journalist Philip O'Connor about covid there. My (non-Irish) wife passing by eavesdropped and remarked with the understatement ´jesus, that guy talks fast'.

Listened to that podcast myself. I normally listen on speed 1.5 myself, so it was a bit of a challenge to pick him up! Wasn't for admitting defeat and reverting to normal speed though.

tyssam5

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 22, 2020, 11:33:11 PM
A lot of the podcasts I listen to have already been mentioned on the thread, but I find the following good:

- That Peter Crouch podcast: He seems like a funny down to earth guy and the other 2 aren't afraid to pull him up on things that he takes for granted
- Quickly Kevin, will he score: Excellent 90s football podcast with comedian Josh Widdicombe.
- Irish History podcast with Fin Dwyer
- The 2 Johnnies podcast: This may be old news, but I just found out about these lads recently (I live in Australia) and enjoying their podcast
- The David McWilliams podcast: Find his stuff intriguing. He talks about wide ranges of topics and links it back to economics. Don't need to know anything about economics to enjoy
- Casefile: A good true crime podcast. Produced in Australia, so has an Aussie bias to the crimes they cover, but have done a lot of the bigger worldwide stories like the moors murders etc. If you want to know all the details about Ivan Milat (backpacker murders) or Daniel Morcombe (13 year old that disappeared - how they caught the killer is too unbelievable even for a movie)
- GAA hour with Colm Parkinson: I wasn't a Woolly fan before I started listening, but this is an essential GAA resource. Detailed reviews of games. Any bias are usually stated so you can take it into account. And generally neither the bland 'don't want to offend anyone' type analysis nor the personal attacks (though Parkinson does sometimes use the podcast to further his spats with the likes of Brolly, Poacher etc)
- Mayo News Podcast: For all things one-sided Mayo GAA. Particularly helpful during club season, FBD and league
- Balls.ie: Surprisingly good, though not as good imo since they lost Maurice Brosnan
- Off the ball, Second captains etc
- various AFL podcasts

"Daniel Morcombe"

Just listened to that one, kind of got the jist of how it was gonna get solved from this case "Atif Rafay, along with friend Sebastian Burn" - similar technique, was on a series on Netflix (US)

RedHand88

The scrubs rewatch one with the two main star, Zach and Donald, is pretty good. One episode a week and theyre 2 episodes in.

tyssam5

Bearbrook (start of family DNA), Dirty John, Man in the Window (Golden State killer) , Murder book, Running from Cops (about the making of the show Cops) all US true crime. "Root of Evil" crazy show about a crazy family possibly linked to Black Dahlia case.

"The Dark North" is great show about mafia in Montreal - someone mentioned "Crimetown" it's a bit similar to that, but with insane French Canadian bikers.

BBC show 'Shreds' really good on police corruption, false convictions etc set in Wales. Really good.