When men were men - 40 years later Sheehy does it again

Started by Declan, February 28, 2017, 05:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Paddy Cullen is lucky Twitter wasn't around back then.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bannside

I had a great view of it in the lower hogan. Hard to believe that was nearly 40 years ago. Bill Kirby in the wee clip at the end. There was a character too.

Boycey

Ah brilliant...

Can u imagine the row that would of raged over it had a 1970s Gaaboard existed..

Ball Hopper

Was in the Cusack Stand that day...remember saying at half time that I'll never see the likes of it again. 

And I haven't.

Buttofthehill

Bit like Mulligan in 05, never should've counted ;)

Great video, well done all.

Shamrock Shore

I cried that day - Dubs were my heroes and Paddy Cullen was one of my favourite players since 1974 when he save Liam Salmon's penalty.

Seamus Aldridge has never spoken as far as I know publicly about that incident. Has anyone a theory as to why he gave a free in?

Wonderful bit of fun almost 39 years later and well done to all.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 28, 2017, 09:55:39 PM
I cried that day - Dubs were my heroes and Paddy Cullen was one of my favourite players since 1974 when he save Liam Salmon's penalty.

Seamus Aldridge has never spoken as far as I know publicly about that incident. Has anyone a theory as to why he gave a free in?

Wonderful bit of fun almost 39 years later and well done to all.

I recall Cullen and Power being "involved" with each other earlier in the game, with no action from Aldridge.  All I can assume is he pulled up Cullen for fouling Power on this occasion to make up for his missed call.  He must have been mortified when Sheehy goaled - but he probably could have brought the kick back to take it from the proper location.

Tony Hanahoe gave some good interviews on that game.

Jinxy

Seamus Aldridge has spoken about it.
Not that long ago actually, but I can't remember what the programme was.
Unsurprisingly, he maintains he was 100% right to give the free-in.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

maigheo

Great video I think this has to be one of the greatest goals of all time.For some reason I was rooting for the Dubs that day and was ticked off with the ref for allowing it,but the speed of thought,skill and nerve shown by Sheehy make it the best goal I have ever seen.

Ball Hopper

Imagine what Mick O'Dwyer would have to say to him if he missed...

Fuzzman

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on February 28, 2017, 10:20:08 PM
Seamus Aldridge has spoken about it.
Not that long ago actually, but I can't remember what the programme was.
Unsurprisingly, he maintains he was 100% right to give the free-in.

Remember that, think it was a segment in one of the successors to Breaking Ball. Said the free was for contact after playing the ball IIRC.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Quote from: Buttofthehill on February 28, 2017, 07:42:09 PM
Bit like Mulligan in 05, never should've counted ;)

Great video, well done all.
Mugsy would also be in the top 10.