Dublin V Donegal

Started by Gareth, June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2018, 12:14:04 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 04, 2018, 07:16:10 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2018, 02:59:07 AM
That's all fine lads, but the Dubs are getting two home games while no one else enjoys the same advantage. It's about time there was a stop put to this, whether or not it's too late for this season. At the very least, the venue benefits should not favour one particular team. Kildare have started something.

Kildare exploited a loophole. As for the round robin for the last eight, the motion that was voted in at congress was every team in the last 8 would have one home game one away and one game played in Croke park. Croke park is not Dublins official home ground so Armagh or Roscommon have a strong case to get their round 3 game played in Parnell park and if the CCCC deem that venue unsuitable then they have to select a neutral venue and some where other than Croke park.

Loophole or not, Kildare appear to have lit a fire under at least parts of the GAA community. We'll see in the long run whether it will peter out or whether Dublin get to keep all of the advantages they enjoy going forward.

And seriously, spare us the "official home ground" nonsense. It is an absolute fact that Donegal will be playing two away games in the Super 8s and Dublin will be playing two home games. The Donegal County Board are absolutely right that this is not a level playing field. And while it is likely too late for this year, there's no harm in trying to see that it gets addressed for the future.

Maybe you took me up wrong so to clarify i think its ridiculous that Dublin will get two last eight games in Dublin while the rest are on the road for two of their 3 games however my last post was pointing out the fact of what was voted in by congress, e.g that all round 1 games must be played in Croke park and Dublins round 3 game is to be played at home and nonsense or not Croke Park is not their official home ground.   
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Syferus

I'm just glad our game against Dublin will count as our away one. (Sorry to the one Armagh lad with a flag up in Castlerea).

Donegal are getting screwed the most of any team in the Super 8 with this game and having to trek to Dublin for a 7pm game because HQ doesn't want the soccer jackeens staying in the boozer for the WC final.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Syferus on July 04, 2018, 03:58:23 PM
I'm just glad our game against Dublin will count as our away one. (Sorry to the one Armagh lad with a flag up in Castlerea).

Donegal are getting screwed the most of any team in the Super 8 with this game and having to trek to Dublin for a 7pm game because HQ doesn't want the soccer jackeens staying in the boozer for the WC final.

Your are correct,  its only Dublin Jackeens that want to watch the World cup final.

In fairness it should be a triple header on the Saturday and the 4th game at either 1, 1:30 or 2 on the Sunday to give people a chance to see it.

Sure didn't they move games for the champions league final? Don't think it was a Dublin game. 

The Hill is Blue

What's the feeling in Donegal about their team's chances in this game? What are the chances of Donegal doing a repeat of 2014?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 04, 2018, 05:39:50 PM
What's the feeling in Donegal about their team's chances in this game? What are the chances of Donegal doing a repeat of 2014?

Would you ever give over with your trying to talk about the match...

Dire Ear

Whitnail

Some sharp shootng from our young lads this year ....whether they can replicate that at Croker remains to be seen. If they can manage a goal or two it'll make it interesting anyway.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I suspect Ryan McHugh will be targeted physically early on.

J70

I felt we would give the Dubs a good rattle before the news came through about Paddy's cruciate. I think our hopes faded significantly with his diagnosis, however. His mere presence opens up a lot of space for other players, while he is well able to win ball even when double-marked. And there is his long range point taking on the loop. He had a field day against Dublin in the league game this year, although I'm sure he would have been more tightly marked this time around. But his loss will be very significantly felt. It means we are going to be much more one dimensional in attack, with much of the play being repetitive running and overlaps, instead of having the option of launching it to the corners or looking for him on the loop.

Unless of course they throw Murphy up there to be the target man? Which of course leaves us down a playmaker and fielders in the centre of the field.

I think we're in bonus territory anyway. No one expected an Ulster title this year, although we hoped to make the Super 8s. So hopefully we won't see any return to the blanket defense stuff. Give it a go and let the chips fall where they may in all three games.

tonto1888

Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2018, 08:33:28 PM

I felt we would give the Dubs a good rattle before the news came through about Paddy's cruciate. I think our hopes faded significantly with his diagnosis, however. His mere presence opens up a lot of space for other players, while he is well able to win ball even when double-marked. And there is his long range point taking on the loop. He had a field day against Dublin in the league game this year, although I'm sure he would have been more tightly marked this time around. But his loss will be very significantly felt. It means we are going to be much more one dimensional in attack, with much of the play being repetitive running and overlaps, instead of having the option of launching it to the corners or looking for him on the loop.

Unless of course they throw Murphy up there to be the target man? Which of course leaves us down a playmaker and fielders in the centre of the field.

I think we're in bonus territory anyway. No one expected an Ulster title this year, although we hoped to make the Super 8s. So hopefully we won't see any return to the blanket defense stuff. Give it a go and let the chips fall where they may in all three games.

Having only seen Donegal on television this year I may not be beat places to comment but I tend to agree with what you said. Any chance you have if winning went with McBrearty. I still think you will give Dublin a good game and give it a good go. Live nothing to lose anyway. It could well come down to a shootout between yourselves and Tyrone in the last game. Is that in Donegal?

That is assumming Tyrone beat cork and you both beat us/Roscommon

omagh_gael

Yup, Tyrone/Cork play Donegal in Ballybofey in The last round.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2018, 08:33:28 PM

There's no doubting that Paddy McBrearty is a huge loss but Donegal seem to have put a very useful team together (they are Ulster champions) and they have a very positive attitude and great self belief. I expect them to give a very good account of themselves.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

The Super 8 advantages the counties with the deepest squads.

In 2014 McGuinness pulled off a masterstroke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPiqcEqVu7g
but under the new format that wouldn't be enough.

Billy Fitzpatrick (KK hurler) :
"You'd wonder what might have happened afterwards had there been a back door at the time. Being beaten by so much was a surprise. Being beaten wasn't. That was always capable of happening with Wexford. Every few years they were going to beat you."

The Super 8 gives the Dubs and Kerry time to revise.
It makes winning Sam harder for everyone else.

The GAA is still left with a dud model that people are turning away from.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU