Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: johnnycool on June 20, 2018, 02:00:42 PM
In Leinster between the three main contenders only Galway won away in Wexford, every other result between them, Wexford and Kilkenny went to the home team.
"Every other result"! There were only 2 other games! Galway would absolutely have beaten KK away and will beat them in Croke Park too.

Do Mayo have a significantly better record playing Galway and Ros at home versus away?
I'm guessing not. When they won their 4 or 5 Connachts in a row it didnt matter where it was, they just won. I presume the last couple of Galway defeats have been at different grounds.

Ros obviously lost to Galway at home this year. They've beaten them away. Is there historically a significant amount more home games won than away games between them? 

There are no complaints about the Ulster final always being in Clones. Though I suppose if Monaghan won 3 or 4 in a row, the unfairness of it all would be called out.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 20, 2018, 04:28:15 PM
In Leinster between the three main contenders only Galway won away in Wexford, every other result between them, Wexford and Kilkenny went to the home team.
"Every other result"! There were only 2 other games! Galway would absolutely have beaten KK away and will beat them in Croke Park too.

Do Mayo have a significantly better record playing Galway and Ros at home versus away?
I'm guessing not. When they won their 4 or 5 Connachts in a row it didnt matter where it was, they just won. I presume the last couple of Galway defeats have been at different grounds.

Ros obviously lost to Galway at home this year. They've beaten them away. Is there historically a significant amount more home games won than away games between them? 

There are no complaints about the Ulster final always being in Clones. Though I suppose if Monaghan won 3 or 4 in a row, the unfairness of it all would be called out.

Yes let's compare Monaghan and Dublin

Monaghan have place 3 of their last 10 Ulster Championship games at home, 4 at a neutral venue and 3 away.

Dublin have played 8 of their last 10 Leinster Championship game at home, 2 at neutral venues, none away.

In the same period Monaghan played 2 All-Ireland Quarter-finals 1 away, 1 neutral
Dublin played 3 All-Ireland Quarter-finals all at home

Any other comparisons?
#newbridgeornowhere

mayoman dan

Quote from: Hound on June 20, 2018, 04:28:15 PM

Your missing my point completely so let me clarify.Dublin are a brilliant team who will more than likely win sam again this year even if they played all their games away from croke park.Personally i dont think any team will get withing 5 points of them in croker.Take them out of croker however and i believe that gap tightens to maybe 2 to 3 points.To say every team wants to play in croker is probably correct but dublin players staying at home the night before a game is an advantage that wouldnt be there if they had to travel for their neutral game.The provincials are irrelevant to the point im making here.The super 8s is a league format and even a blind man can see its unfair to let 1 team have 2 home games while everyone else gets 1.Using Mayos home form which is shocking as some sort of deflection from this is a poor argument.Mayo have proven to be a different team in late summer than spring the last few years.If the dubs last game was winner take all in omagh clones longford or wherever outside croker theres a much bigger chance of an upset.

JoG2

Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 04:19:16 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on June 20, 2018, 02:21:09 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 02:07:40 PM
A pity GAA wouldn't take Dublin out of Croke Park more so supporters wouldn't have to travel so far to see their county get beat by this great team.. though the begrudgers would move to another excuse.

There wouldnt be any excuse if the flagship competition was played fairly with the same rules applying for everyone.If Dublin were playing kerry in their 3rd game with winner take all do you think kerry have a better chance in thurles or croker???

Dubs would beat them anywhere.

You're basing this on what exactly considering the winning margins (including 2 x own goals 1 year) is usually 1 point, all played at Dublins home? Did you read The Examiner article in the previous page?

From the Bunker

MONOPOLY

It's a Monopoly! They have the Money. They have the infrastructures! They have all their Important games played at home. They are guaranteed a large amounts of fans at their game because all their games are at home. The main media outlets are in Dublin. The main Corporations are in Dublin. They have no debt! They don't need to fund raise. The Super 8 was put in place to give the Dublin Punter more accessible meaningful games. The Super 8 for the bigger squads that can cope with injures, suspensions and fatigue. The GAA openly over support them because they NEED a strong Dublin.

It's great for Dublin GAA. Every level is on a plate. From the full time coaches who are creating this conveyor belt of talent from underage to the players sleeping in their own beds the night before a game to the players having pretend jobs to the supporter getting on a Dart Journey for 15 minutes to get to a match.

dublin7

Quote from: CumminsCiderLarry on June 20, 2018, 09:47:55 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 20, 2018, 07:41:43 PM
MONOPOLY

It's a Monopoly! They have the Money. They have the infrastructures! They have all their Important games played at home. They are guaranteed a large amounts of fans at their game because all their games are at home. The main media outlets are in Dublin. The main Corporations are in Dublin. They have no debt! They don't need to fund raise. The Super 8 was put in place to give the Dublin Punter more accessible meaningful games. The Super 8 for the bigger squads that can cope with injures, suspensions and fatigue. The GAA openly over support them because they NEED a strong Dublin.

It's great for Dublin GAA. Every level is on a plate. From the full time coaches who are creating this conveyor belt of talent from underage to the players sleeping in their own beds the night before a game to the players having pretend jobs to the supporter getting on a Dart Journey for 15 minutes to get to a match.

Are you saying Dublin County board pays it players? How can others compete with that.

Ah the dubs are professional footballers bulls**t  comes out again. Left out the fact that on average the east coast of Ireland gets more sunshine than the west coast and that's an unfair advantage as well. Some people (especially mayo people it seems) just can't accept the dubs are better footballers. I honestly think mayo people wouldn't know what to do if they won the all Ireland as they would have to stop constantly moaning about the dubs and could no longer play the sympathy card as heroic losers

Farrandeelin

Quote from: dublin7 on June 20, 2018, 10:21:24 PM
MONOPOLY

Are you saying Dublin County board pays it players? How can others compete with that.

Ah the dubs are professional footballers bulls**t  comes out again. Left out the fact that on average the east coast of Ireland gets more sunshine than the west coast and that's an unfair advantage as well. Some people (especially mayo people it seems) just can't accept the dubs are better footballers. I honestly think mayo people wouldn't know what to do if they won the all Ireland as they would have to stop constantly moaning about the dubs and could no longer play the sympathy card as heroic losers

Better by one point, after Mayo missing a shit load of wides in the first half. Anyway what's done is done - but I'm sick of the narrative that Dublin are 'way better'.

O well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 20, 2018, 10:44:54 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 20, 2018, 10:21:24 PM
MONOPOLY

Better by one point, after Mayo missing a shit load of wides in the first half. Anyway what's done is done - but I'm sick of the narrative that Dublin are 'way better'.

O well.

Far, the aim of the game is to miss a shit load of wides! The Dubs are way better! What makes you think otherwise?

manfromdelmonte

MONOPOLY

Where did it say that?
How many of them got free cars
Are they paying BIK on those?

Hound

From the full time coaches who are creating this conveyor belt of talent from underage
The full time coaches don't coach any of the elite players and never have.

There are so many culchies involved in Dublin GAA (and many do the actual coaching of players on a voluntary basis), that some of you on here must be part of Dublin GAA clubs and know the actual role these young full time coaches, half funded by members' fees, fulfill.

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 20, 2018, 10:44:54 PM

O well.
Anyone who knows football knows that Dublin aren't way better. Or certainly haven't been for the last 4 /5 years.
Mayo match up really well against the Dubs. Dublin are a little bit better but in the two drawn games in recent years Mayo were the better team on the day and but for a tactical error in the first game and pure bad luck in the 2nd would have 2 wins against us.

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 21, 2018, 07:48:09 AM

How many of them got free cars
Are they paying BIK on those?

Subaru provided most of the Dublin footballers and hurlers with the free use of a car for a year. They even advertise some of the current stock as previously owned by a Dublin player and have pic of the relevant Dublin player in the advert!

But this type of thing has been going on for years. I remember about 10 years ago seeing Bryan Cullen going round in a car with a badge on it saying it was sponsored by a north Dublin car place. A good number of county players from all over the country get sponsored cars, but the Subaru deal is the only one I know of that encompasses the whole team rather than just star players.

I don't think they are BIKable as they are not provided by an employer or in the course of an employment. 
Not sure whether it could come under the remit of gift tax. But presumably it would be under the thresholds anyway as its use of a car rather than getting an actual car.

Hound

Quote from: CumminsCiderLarry on June 21, 2018, 08:40:57 AM

Bunker said none of the players work? Who funding them so?
I didn't see Bunker saying that and doubt he did.

Only an idiot or WUM would say that. And only an idiot would believe it.

Mayo4Sam14

Why stop at splitting Dublin. In my opinion we should just have each club in Dublin enter the county championship seperately
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

manfromdelmonte

I see Guinness are running adverts with the GAA portrayed as partners.
What exactly are Guinness sponsoring?