Mayo v Sligo CSFC 21st May 2017

Started by Farrandeelin, May 08, 2017, 08:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 21, 2017, 10:41:22 PM
I always have to laugh at the Mayo supporters.

Good man. I'm glad I give someone to laugh about.

The amount of times Sligo would get a pretty obvious free and it would be followed by a massive chorus of boos at the decision.

I know, shit happens though when the bandwagon gets bigger.

You wouldn't mind but it was Sligo in the first round of the Connacht Championship, surely they shouldn't need the ref to be doing their bidding at this stage of the Championship. It's that kind of outlook which I think explains why they have came up that bit short over the years.

Along with other factors don't you think?

Wouldn't read too much into how abject Mayo were today as they'll be aiming for early August but the age profile of the squad must be a bit worrying. 6 of the team that started today are now in their 30s and are probably past their best, there's a lot of mileage there now and they really need some fresh blood to come in and start contributing in a big way.

Amen to that.  :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 21, 2017, 10:41:22 PM
I always have to laugh at the Mayo supporters.

The amount of times Sligo would get a pretty obvious free and it would be followed by a massive chorus of boos at the decision.

You wouldn't mind but it was Sligo in the first round of the Connacht Championship, surely they shouldn't need the ref to be doing their bidding at this stage of the Championship. It's that kind of outlook which I think explains why they have came up that bit short over the years.

Wouldn't read too much into how abject Mayo were today as they'll be aiming for early August but the age profile of the squad must be a bit worrying. 6 of the team that started today are now in their 30s and are probably past their best, there's a lot of mileage there now and they really need some fresh blood to come in and start contributing in a big way.

You will never get on the Sunday Game with that attitude!!

Maroon Manc

Hard to know what to make of Mayo, despite being poor for much of the 2nd half and Sligo getting within 3 points with 10 minutes to go Mayo still managed to win by 9 points. If Sligo had gone in a couple of points up at half time we'd have seen a different Mayo come out the 2nd half.

mayoaremagic

I thought Sligo utilised the tactical foul very effectively to stop Mayo breaking. It was a big factor in keeping the game so close in the first half. Fair play to them for that, but our lads were naïve in staying on their feet and not getting these guys a black card, which would have killed off this tactic early doors.

Personally, I thought the challenge on mcloughlin was nasty. The Sligo chb lined him up as he was picking up the ball. It was dangerous play

magpie seanie

Quote from: mayoaremagic on May 22, 2017, 11:02:24 AM
I thought Sligo utilised the tactical foul very effectively to stop Mayo breaking. It was a big factor in keeping the game so close in the first half. Fair play to them for that, but our lads were naïve in staying on their feet and not getting these guys a black card, which would have killed off this tactic early doors.

Personally, I thought the challenge on mcloughlin was nasty. The Sligo chb lined him up as he was picking up the ball. It was dangerous play

Such complete rubbish. You'd want to take the plank outta your own eye before taking the splinter out of others. Mayo's immediate fouling upon turning the ball over was systematic and largely unpunished by the ref. The yellow card count was a joke......Sligo lads getting carded very softly on occasion but the same rigours not applied to Mayo.

I thought the ref was brutal. The two goals - first one should have been blown for steps and a free in. The second one was a clear as day pick off the ground and square ball. Neither would have been allowed if we had scored them. That's not sour grapes (I think Mayo would have won in any event) but it needs to be highlighted.

magpie seanie

I had a bereavement during the week so didn't make Castlebar and was out of the loop regarding information on players etc but it appeared to me that yet again our management was shambolic. How can one of our best 3 players, Kevin McDonnell, not start? I know Niall Murphy had a long layoff but he looked ok when he came on so why not use him from the start when we had the wind? It's not like Pat Hughes looked particularly fit though he did battle bravely as always. Playing Kyle Cawley at wing forward is gross idiocy and incompetence that deserves a sacking alone. He's the most natural goalscoring inside forward I've ever seen in Sligo. And I can't think of who's second but whoever it is they're a distant second. Taking him off was a terrible decision too because even though you deployed him in the wrong position it's fair to say Lee Keegan wasn't doing anything either. And to make it a full gamut of stupidity he wasn't reintroduced in the second half when a goal for us could have turned the game upside down. There are several other inexplicable decisions re: personnel and positions as well as tactics - already mentioned above about over negative approach with the wind (we won toss). You can't tell the players "forget about 2015 - that was a one-off" and then base your entire tactical approach on 2015. That's the crap we've had to put up with.

Despite all that the players gave a spirited and committed display and played some good football at times. Hard to tell from TV whether we had a good defensive system (it would be new) or whether the numbers flooded back combined with Mayo's ineffective attacking largely stymied the hone side. Similar to Sligonian, I'm optimistic about the future if we can somehow get a semi competent manager for next and subsequent seasons.

Regards Mayo - I don't think they were fully up for that game and aren't arsed about Connacht. Last years approach will be repeated. August/September or bust. I can understand that. They're a battle hardened outfit and do lots of good things automatically and efficiently but yesterday were way off where they need to be and will be later in the year. I'd worry about them making the same mistakes over and over. Kevin McLoughlin taking frees from the right has to stop - he has a catalogue of ridiculous misses. You cannot afford one of them at the top levels.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2017, 03:16:00 PM
I had a bereavement during the week so didn't make Castlebar and was out of the loop regarding information on players etc but it appeared to me that yet again our management was shambolic. How can one of our best 3 players, Kevin McDonnell, not start? I know Niall Murphy had a long layoff but he looked ok when he came on so why not use him from the start when we had the wind? It's not like Pat Hughes looked particularly fit though he did battle bravely as always. Playing Kyle Cawley at wing forward is gross idiocy and incompetence that deserves a sacking alone. He's the most natural goalscoring inside forward I've ever seen in Sligo. And I can't think of who's second but whoever it is they're a distant second. Taking him off was a terrible decision too because even though you deployed him in the wrong position it's fair to say Lee Keegan wasn't doing anything either. And to make it a full gamut of stupidity he wasn't reintroduced in the second half when a goal for us could have turned the game upside down. There are several other inexplicable decisions re: personnel and positions as well as tactics - already mentioned above about over negative approach with the wind (we won toss). You can't tell the players "forget about 2015 - that was a one-off" and then base your entire tactical approach on 2015. That's the crap we've had to put up with.

Despite all that the players gave a spirited and committed display and played some good football at times. Hard to tell from TV whether we had a good defensive system (it would be new) or whether the numbers flooded back combined with Mayo's ineffective attacking largely stymied the hone side. Similar to Sligonian, I'm optimistic about the future if we can somehow get a semi competent manager for next and subsequent seasons.

Regards Mayo - I don't think they were fully up for that game and aren't arsed about Connacht. Last years approach will be repeated. August/September or bust. I can understand that. They're a battle hardened outfit and do lots of good things automatically and efficiently but yesterday were way off where they need to be and will be later in the year. I'd worry about them making the same mistakes over and over. Kevin McLoughlin taking frees from the right has to stop - he has a catalogue of ridiculous misses. You cannot afford one of them at the top levels.
Kyle Cawley was sick last week apparently. He probably shouldn't have started then. Agree about McDonnell. The logic for not selecting him is a lot of preparation work would have been done in New York for this game in McDonnells absence. Still you have to start your better players.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2017, 02:57:12 PM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on May 22, 2017, 11:02:24 AM

Such complete rubbish. You'd want to take the plank outta your own eye before taking the splinter out of others. Mayo's immediate fouling upon turning the ball over was systematic and largely unpunished by the ref. The yellow card count was a joke......Sligo lads getting carded very softly on occasion but the same rigours not applied to Mayo.

I thought the ref was brutal. The two goals - first one should have been blown for steps and a free in. The second one was a clear as day pick off the ground and square ball. Neither would have been allowed if we had scored them. That's not sour grapes (I think Mayo would have won in any event) but it needs to be highlighted.

Surprised there wasn't a bigger deal made of the pick off the ground for the 2nd goal. Looked clearly like a rolling ball to me rather than a bouncing one.

weareros

The ref missed a lot. I thought Boland over carried as well for that fisted point in the second half. Mayo never looked like losing but a few crucial scores including the goals were questionable.

Blowitupref

Got the nine point margin of victory for Mayo correct but on the balance of play a 3 point win would be fair reflection of the game.

Mayo looked liked a group of players that have been through heavy training recently. The normal pace and intensity to their play wasn't there and a very game Sligo outfit where very much still in this match with less the ten minutes to go. Both Mayo goals should not have stood and unfortunately for Sligo they came killer times in the contest. After the 2015 horror show Sligo should now be commended on a competitive performance against a top 4 side in their own backyard and Sligo should have a decent summer yet if they bring the same performance levels into the qualifers.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose