Started by Jinxy, September 17, 2018, 09:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your county, has it:

Significantly increased in recent years
Significantly decreased in recent years
It's about the same

trailer

Quote from: Rudi on September 18, 2018, 10:32:02 AM
Whats the solution to the ugly scenes at the Edendork V Moy game?

Should both teams be expelled from this years Tyrone championship? This is completely unacceptable on a football field or do some people think its perfectly ok?

What ugly scenes? Wasn't any ugly scenes in Moy v Edendork game.

trailer

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 10:56:36 AM
6 red cards, Benny.

And what? None of them straight. It wasn't a dirty game.
People who weren't at the game and haven't even seen a clip from it, spouting complete shite.

RE: The incident with Cavanagh, the boy was late. Was it deliberate? I don't know and I would like to see it again before I would conclusively say either way. The ref (who had a poor game) was right in front of it and he also consulted his linesman. That's the facts that no one can argue with. I'd like to see the incident again before I make a decision one way or another.

Perhaps people who weren't at the game or seen a video of it could also take such a measured approach.

tonto1888

Quote from: thewobbler on September 17, 2018, 09:23:21 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on September 17, 2018, 08:35:13 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 17, 2018, 07:19:51 PM
That's an aside MacDonald.

But seeing as you've just reinforced your stance with a maxim that "anything goes", I'm just not sure where you'd draw the line between manning up and willingly executing physical pain on another human being.

I wouldn't like to be your dog or your missus after you've had a few, that's for sure.

So now I'm a wife beating, dog hitting alcoholic?? Wow wobbler.

No. You're someone who openly welcomes violent acts on a football field. That's all we know for sure. Everything else is me just wondering out loud about whether it's a continual theme in your life, or if you've managed to confine it to GAA matches

No. You openly insinuated that he would beat his wife or dog after a few drinks. It was a terrible post.

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 18, 2018, 10:49:23 AM
Quote from: Armamike on September 18, 2018, 10:38:06 AM
Bit disappointed in Peter Canavan's reaction to it on Talk Sport yesterday.  Started off by basically saying Tyrone unfairly get the attention on these incidents.  Seemed a paranoid response and a bad attempt to deflect from a question on what he thought of the Cavanagh incident.

For me the problem is highlighted in Rudi's post above. He's listened to how this all has been reported and has it in his mind that there was ugly scenes in the Moy v Edendork game that warrants both teams kicked out. He seems to be of the opinion that there was a full scale brawl in that game and that both teams should be kicked out of the championship (The fact that there wasn't a brawl would tend to lean me towards the conclusion that incident was an accident) Like how does someone arrive at the view that a bad tackle by one player should result in both teams being kicked out? I'm not blaming Rudi here but somehow, in the way this has been reported an unfair picture has been painted of  that game in its entirety. Yes, there was sending offs and bad tackles but because a high profile player has been injured following on from a fight in a different game we have a scenario were every game is viewed through the lens of being "ugly". The Tyrone championship is one of the best in the country, 7 different winners in 7 years I think it was, the most competitive in the country where every team thinks they have a chance of progressing. Plus its do or die knock out after a summer sitting waiting for it to start. I'd recommend everyone who is hand wringing to go along and watch a game... you never know, you might just enjoy it.

In fairness to Rudi he may have been getting games mixed up

trailer

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 18, 2018, 12:38:26 PM
Bit disappointed in Peter Canavan's reaction to it on Talk Sport yesterday.  Started off by basically saying Tyrone unfairly get the attention on these incidents.  Seemed a paranoid response and a bad attempt to deflect from a question on what he thought of the Cavanagh incident.

For me the problem is highlighted in Rudi's post above. He's listened to how this all has been reported and has it in his mind that there was ugly scenes in the Moy v Edendork game that warrants both teams kicked out. He seems to be of the opinion that there was a full scale brawl in that game and that both teams should be kicked out of the championship (The fact that there wasn't a brawl would tend to lean me towards the conclusion that incident was an accident) Like how does someone arrive at the view that a bad tackle by one player should result in both teams being kicked out? I'm not blaming Rudi here but somehow, in the way this has been reported an unfair picture has been painted of  that game in its entirety. Yes, there was sending offs and bad tackles but because a high profile player has been injured following on from a fight in a different game we have a scenario were every game is viewed through the lens of being "ugly". The Tyrone championship is one of the best in the country, 7 different winners in 7 years I think it was, the most competitive in the country where every team thinks they have a chance of progressing. Plus its do or die knock out after a summer sitting waiting for it to start. I'd recommend everyone who is hand wringing to go along and watch a game... you never know, you might just enjoy it.

Maybe, but he should check before he posts. This is what you're dealing with. People think the clip of Friday nights match is where Cavanagh's injuries came from.

Rudi

My apologies I did get games mixed up.

general_lee

Team in Armagh apparently amassed 8 red cards in 4 championship games. Doesn't make good reading but from what I gather they weren't involved in any brawls. Sometimes when refs strictly lay down the law, especially in championship, tackles and challenges that one might get away with in the league are punished more strictly.  Could apply the same to Moy/Edendork's match

BennyHarp

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 18, 2018, 12:38:26 PM

I know and I wasn't having a pop at him, my point was that when these things are reported, often a little hysterically in the media then the clarity of what happened often gets muddled up, I think this is what Canavan was trying to say about unfair reporting. I wonder how many people in pubs across Ireland were lamenting how Sean Cavanagh got badly injured in a brawl in a championship match in Tyrone? It then doesn't matter what the truth is because the story is out there. Rudi's post was a prime example of this happening.
That was never a square ball!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: general_lee on September 18, 2018, 03:29:42 PM
Team in Armagh apparently amassed 8 red cards in 4 championship games. Doesn't make good reading but from what I gather they weren't involved in any brawls. Sometimes when refs strictly lay down the law, especially in championship, tackles and challenges that one might get away with in the league are punished more strictly.  Could apply the same to Moy/Edendork's match
I have heard (and this could just be rumour, but i came from a usually reliable source) that after the events of the friday night game, all referees in Tyrone where told to clamp down on everything for the subsequent championship games.
That might explain the high amount of cards the following day?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on September 18, 2018, 03:29:42 PM

At Championship the ref usually has his umpires and linesmen with radio contact, and he's talking to them, an umpire will draw his attention to a foul or off the ball incident but the ref will let play continue and eal with it afterwards, some linesmen will let you know straight away and you may (if you chose) make a call there and then based on his call, Ive done it recently and I think its a great idea, the linesman let me know about a technical foul i didnt seen and i blew the whistle..

in a league game you dont have the extra eyes so there is no getting away with it come championship, so if the norm in games is to blatter people then its very difficult to just change your stye of play, though the amount of cards I'm hearing lately in Tyrone seems well over the top
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2018, 04:17:20 PM

At Championship the ref usually has his umpires and linesmen with radio contact, and he's talking to them, an umpire will draw his attention to a foul or off the ball incident but the ref will let play continue and eal with it afterwards, some linesmen will let you know straight away and you may (if you chose) make a call there and then based on his call, Ive done it recently and I think its a great idea, the linesman let me know about a technical foul i didnt seen and i blew the whistle..

Interesting.  So a linesman could tell you that you missed a double bounce ,or a touch on the ground, and you could blow for the free, even though you missed it yourself?
Not sure I've seen that happen.  Only ever seem to see linesman involved when there is physical contact.

TabClear

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 18, 2018, 05:38:29 PM

Interesting.  So a linesman could tell you that you missed a double bounce ,or a touch on the ground, and you could blow for the free, even though you missed it yourself?
Not sure I've seen that happen.  Only ever seem to see linesman involved when there is physical contact.

Did not know that either. Is that allowed under the rules or does it just happen in games?

Main Street

I have a bunch of 30 get-well-soon cards, each with an individual message of good will and hope for a comfortable recovery. My heart was troubled by the dark news coming out of Tyrone, re scenes of horrrific violence breaking out in a club game. Should I just send them to the local priest and he can dish them out on his hospital visits?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: TabClear on September 18, 2018, 05:44:47 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 18, 2018, 05:38:29 PM

Did not know that either. Is that allowed under the rules or does it just happen in games?

http://www.gaa.ie/my-gaa/match-officials/linesmen

QuoteOne linesman patrols each sideline. They change sides at half-time.

What are the Duties of the Linesman?
The linesman indicates by flag signal:

• When and where a ball crosses the sideline
  • Which side is entitled to the sideline kick or puck, and
  • Where the kick or puck is to be taken from

Powers of Linesmen
The linesman has the power to bring to the attention of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play or incursions onto the field of play which have not been noticed by the referee. It is the duty of the linesman to report any such instances and his obligation is to do so by providing the factual situation regarding the instance.

Wildweasel74

Where a team empties the bench during a row or supporters coming onto the field automatic kick them out! The there were 3 noted bad fights last year in Derry one of which continued in the car park after the game, a supporter attacked our goalkeeper taking a kick out during the game(literally you have to been there to believe it) combined with 10 plus supporters of the same team entering the following fray plus their 12+subs. Game went to a replay after been 5up before the row! Game was videoed by County board, not 1 player was suspended!! Anybody who viewed the video would automatically seen that team kicked out! County boards are not enforcing rules and poor suspension rules mean these incidents will reoccur! Look at Armagh U-20 getting numerous suspensions removed after emptying the bench against Tyrone!