A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Franko's summary isn't far out at all. Dev made the situation worse by allowing the church have too much influence in everything.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

deiseach

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 20, 2015, 10:40:10 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 20, 2015, 02:19:52 PM
If you could offer 'Britain' a binary choice between having or not having sovereignty over the North, I think they'd take it. My wife is always fulminating against the perfidious Jocks, but she went awful quiet when it looked like they might leave the Union. The end of The United Kingdom would be too much to bear.

Would the Tories et al focus on trying to keep NI in the UK, like they did with Scotland, if a referendum ever comes to pass??

I have no doubt they would. And even with Jeremy Corbyn in charge, so would Labour. Very few politicians are going to want to find themselves on the same side as Gerry Adams.

armaghniac

Quote from: deiseach on November 21, 2015, 07:16:13 AM
If you could offer 'Britain' a binary choice between having or not having sovereignty over the North, I think they'd take it. My wife is always fulminating against the perfidious Jocks, but she went awful quiet when it looked like they might leave the Union. The end of The United Kingdom would be too much to bear.

Would the Tories et al focus on trying to keep NI in the UK, like they did with Scotland, if a referendum ever comes to pass??

I have no doubt they would. And even with Jeremy Corbyn in charge, so would Labour. Very few politicians are going to want to find themselves on the same side as Gerry Adams.

Which is why Gerry Adams is not going to leading the way on this one. A new figure needs to emerge, an economically literate one who has no association with the war.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 21, 2015, 07:15:37 AM
Franko's summary isn't far out at all. Dev made the situation worse by allowing the church have too much influence in everything.

Really?

You are happy to be one of these:

"those treacherous cowards who said 'ya know what, I'm sick of fighting the Brits, let's shaft these poor cnuts in the north and we'll get what we're after'."

Between Fearon's insistence on a homophobic Ireland and the constant abuse from eternal victims like Franko, my head is beginning to question my heart on the issue of a UI.
MWWSI 2017

cadhlancian

muppet

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 21, 2015, 09:14:43 AM
Eternal victims? Slide the f**k on Muppet!

Have you read many of Franko's posts?

Did you miss the 'constant abuse' part of the sentence?

Did you miss the quote from Franko that I posted?

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Funny how Corbyn seems to have been embraced by some of those win Ireland.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Farnham/

The recently departed workhouse master, James Sargeant (the great-great-grandfather of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn), in post for fourteen years, was described as having been despotic while the Board of Guardians had been totally ineffectual.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Hard to see anyone uniting with the Frankos of this world.
If we're all to be judged on the actions of our great grandfathers Muppet.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

It's the same mindset to unity as others have had towards Unionists (big U) in the north. This for example:

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 04:41:24 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 13, 2014, 02:50:38 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 13, 2014, 02:30:52 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 13, 2014, 02:24:24 PM
No wonder this country is fucked,  if we're not fighting the brits we're fighting each other!!!  The Fighting Irish....ye can't beat it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

No man left behind....that's the irish way eh?  ::)

More like the "I'm alright Jack" mentality we've come to know and love. Free Staters know nothing else but love to sit on their soapbox and tell those they left behind that they are out of order.

People like Rossfan would re-join the commonwealth in a heartbeat if there was a few quid in it for them.

You sell the idea of unity to them so well.
were folks supposed to be 'selling' unity to unionists/loyalists on the poppy thread?

only selling here was 'selling out' !!   :)

Basically, "we were wronged in the past, f**k the rest of toy and your opinions". The same people who label others as stoops, or free staters, or blueshirts in one breath rave about the united Ireland they're entitled to with the next. As long as it's on their terms.

Franko

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2015, 08:54:55 AM

Really?

"those treacherous cowards who said 'ya know what, I'm sick of fighting the Brits, let's shaft these poor cnuts in the north and we'll get what we're after'."

Between Fearon's insistence on a homophobic Ireland and the constant abuse from eternal victims like Franko, my head is beginning to question my heart on the issue of a UI.

We'll have less of the ad hominem stuff Muppet please.  Not everyone in the country was as I described above. For the ones that were, I stand by what I said. Maybe you'd want to discuss what part of what I said was wrong instead of throwing insults from your side of the border?

Rossfan

In a nutshell Gallsman.
Presumably with one party rule and all Unionists/ stoops/ free staters/ sellerouters and other undesirables stripped of citizenship and forced to wear a big red high vis jacket any time they dare to go out in public.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2015, 10:52:40 AM
In a nutshell Gallsman.
Presumably with one party rule and all Unionists/ stoops/ free staters/ sellerouters and other undesirables stripped of citizenship and forced to wear a big red high vis jacket any time they dare to go out in public.

Yeah, that's it. If you have try to discredit what people are saying by blatantly making stuff up, it speaks volumes for your argument.

Franko

Really?

PS, I'm not sure if you meant it or not but the part in bold is brilliantly ironic.  ;D ;D

Franko

Quote from: armaghniac on November 21, 2015, 07:28:44 AM

Which is why Gerry Adams is not going to leading the way on this one. A new figure needs to emerge, an economically literate one who has no association with the war.

I honestly think that the whole of Sinn Fein need to step away from the lead on this one. Even a new leader, with no personal attachment to the war will still be SF and therefore impossible for some to vote for.  The push for a UI needs to come from a combined group of political parties, with a common vision and with a leader who commands respect from a large percentage of the electorate. I realise that I've provided very few facts here but I do know that most northern unionists (and a sizeable portion of the electorate in the 26) will NEVER vote for something that Sinn Fein are at the head of.

muppet

Quote from: Franko on November 21, 2015, 11:03:33 AM

Really?

PS, I'm not sure if you meant it or not but the part in bold is brilliantly ironic.  ;D ;D

Thank you. It was quite deliberate.

And as for the ad hominem, are you also being ironic, unless 'treacherous cowards' was meant as a compliment.  ;D
MWWSI 2017