Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Roscommon and Down were in the same division this year and Down beat them.  Who did Roscommon beat to make the super 8's, Armagh?

I would suggest most Fermanagh supporters would argue that Gallagher has brought them on this year from last year.  Promotion and an Ulster final is a decent year.

whitegoodman

Galway won Div 1 and Donegal were relegated.  Does that mean Galway are a level above Donegal ? 

whitegoodman

Roscommon have beaten Leitrim and Armagh to reach the Super 8's.  Since then they have well beaten and embarrassed on one of those occasions.  Have they shown that they belong at that level?

If Down had the same fixtures to get into the Super 8's Id be disappointed if we didn't have a decent chance of making it.  Or maybe we are not at Armagh's level either?

downjim

If every player in Down made themselves available we would have some side. Unfortunately some clubs turn their players away from the county.  It is amazing that some bigger and successful clubs have no All Ireland senior winner.

Smurfy123

The red has awoke. The top 5/6 aides in the country are ahead of everyone them we have 10/15 that could beat anyone on any given day. Then you have about 7/8 that would struggle against those sides. Down are in the second bracket and coukd beat that group but would struggle against the top teams. But improvements can be made in a year. Fermanagh have shown that along with Donegal. Don't forget Donegal got hammered by both Tyrone and Galway last year. Hammered.

whitegoodman

Tell me this HS, are Roscommon and Kildare a level above Cork, Cavan and Clare ?

If not you are saying that Cork, Cavan and Clare are a level above Down ?

whitegoodman

The same Kildare that got zero points in the national league and were beaten by the mighty Carlow in the championship.

You are probably right in saying Roscommon would expect to be beating those teams but Id also expect those teams to fancy beating Roscommon.

whitegoodman

Other than a home win to Mayo Kildare beat Derry, Longford and Fermanagh and have zero points in the super 8's.

Either you are saying that Derry, Longford and Fermanagh prove that Kildare are a much better team OR are taking the victory over Mayo as a better barometer than zero points during a league campaign and championship defeat to Carlow.

Down should have beaten Cavan in the qualifiers (and that was coming from the Cavan manager), beat Roscommon in the league and were beaten by two points by Clare.  That to me says there is much of a muchness between the teams.

Aristo 60

Just 5 short years later this team came within a kick or two of glory. You'd have to believe in us HS?

whitegoodman

Kildare have beaten one team that is higher than Div 3 so far this year and if they were to play that team 10 times again they would likely be beaten on 9 occasions.

Can you not see your double standards here ? 

Kildare matched Monaghan and Galway but were still beaten and so belong at that level.
Down match Roscommon, Clare and Cavan but are not at their level ?

You are letting your hatred of all things Down blinker any common sense you might have.

Mourne Red

Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 02:31:27 PM
Nonsense. Down are nowhere near to the performances Kildare produced in this year's championship (aside from a slip up to Carlow). They aren't at the same level at all.
Down may be around the same level as Clare & Cavan but aren't as good as them.
Roscommon are better than them all.

Can you go back to the Antrim forum, I know the football/hurling teams are without a home - but there is a home for discussion on how crap Antrim are, can you not put your time to use bringing up suggestions and discussion on how youse can get out of the hole you are in

whitegoodman

Ok its nonsense then.

Your coming on spouting stuff about Down not being this that or the other and then back it up with absolutely nothing but your opinion which is clouded to say the least.

Roscommon have been absolutely dire in this years championship and  Down beat them by five points in Roscommon in the league yet they are better than anything outside of the top 6.  Do you think that Down would have been beaten by 18 points by Tyrone or was that their slip up like Kildare's was against Carlow.

...And I'm the one talking nonsense.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mourne Red on July 30, 2018, 02:42:00 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 02:31:27 PM
Nonsense. Down are nowhere near to the performances Kildare produced in this year’s championship (aside from a slip up to Carlow). They aren’t at the same level at all.
Down may be around the same level as Clare & Cavan but aren’t as good as them.
Roscommon are better than them all.

Can you go back to the Antrim forum, I know the football/hurling teams are without a home - but there is a home for discussion on how crap Antrim are, can you not put your time to use bringing up suggestions and discussion on how youse can get out of the hole you are in

In fairness to him I think he accepts that Antrim football is absolutely rank.

Smurfy123

Suggesting they could make it with the correct management in place hardstation. As could 8/9 other teams

whitegoodman

They were one game away from making the last 8 last year with a terrible management team I don't think it would be that unbelievable to think that with a decent management team they could go one step further.  Maybe not likely but certainly possible with a decent draw in Ulster and the qualifiers.

Roscommon are not a Super 8 team yet are in the Super 8's.  Down are not a super 8 team yet in the same way could easy make the Super 8's given the difference between the 7th and 18th in the country is minimal.  If we only had to beat Leitrim and Armagh id be confident enough.