Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 07, 2017, 10:44:37 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 07, 2017, 09:49:02 AM
It correlates that less financially wealthy counties, with the lowest budgets have the most players working away and travelling greater distances.

A good way to dilute one of Dublin's key advantages would be to have travel expenses for senior inter county teams come out of the central GAA budget.

With proper checks to make sure the expenses are genuine obviously.

Seeing as all Dublin players work and live in Dublin, I doubt travel expenses are a large part of the DCBs expenses. I'm not sure how this would dilute Dublin's advantage?

Because it's a minimal cost to a county like Dublin, but a significant burden to some other counties where there is little or no local employment/third level education, and so they're forking out significant mileage for every training session. I was told before that as a rule of thumb in some counties, every training session costs around €3,000 by the time you take into account mileage, food, management costs etc.

Rossfan

Id say that figure wouldn't be far out for western Counties anyway.
Some form of Central grant should be available right enough.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OgraAnDun

I misconstrued your original post. Got it now! Decent idea if travel expenses are taken out of CBs hands and paid by Croke Park.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 07, 2017, 10:44:37 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 07, 2017, 09:49:02 AM
It correlates that less financially wealthy counties, with the lowest budgets have the most players working away and travelling greater distances.

A good way to dilute one of Dublin's key advantages would be to have travel expenses for senior inter county teams come out of the central GAA budget.

With proper checks to make sure the expenses are genuine obviously.

Seeing as all Dublin players work and live in Dublin, I doubt travel expenses are a large part of the DCBs expenses. I'm not sure how this would dilute Dublin's advantage?
Yep, that's exactly the point.
The richest county in the GAA is also the nearest one to being cost neutral on expenses.
This particular circumstantial advantage can easily be balanced out.

TheGreatest

I would go further that all expenses must be individually explained directly. What the managers expenses are, players, open the whole book on all counties, overseen by Croke Park and properly audited.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 07, 2017, 11:51:31 AM
I would go further that all expenses must be individually explained directly. What the managers expenses are, players, open the whole book on all counties, overseen by Croke Park and properly audited.

I imagine that the expenses you are alluding to - the ones not quite in line with the GAA's rules - come straight out of the sponsor's bank account and never actually go to the county board. So opening the books probably won't make much difference on that front.

twohands!!!

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 07, 2017, 11:13:30 AM
I misconstrued your original post. Got it now! Decent idea if travel expenses are taken out of CBs hands and paid by Croke Park.

I think there is a plan in place whereby the actual mileage for intercounty players is going to be administered by Croke Park next year, but the county boards will be reimbursing Croke Park.

I've a notion this came about as a result of GPA lobbying because some of the county boards were constantly having issues with how timely they were in reimbursing intercounty players and there being differences in how the different codes were being treated in the same counties.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 05, 2017, 10:30:37 AM
In 10 years time when people ask when did GAA inter-county football die and is it only Kerry and Dublin that take it serious anymore, I shall point them to this thread.

Well, not really the truth is it? They could put a motion to congress and vote. 31 counties worth of votes. And it would be all your own doing.

If Dublin fans were any ways clued in, they would see that the power in the gaa isn't in Dublin, but rather in the group. If you keep isolating yourself and refusing to give an inch to anyone else, you will pretty soon find yourself on the wrong side of a huge majority.

In truth, the Dubs would be much better served giving an inch here and there on things that aren't going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things...

The latest whining about Michael O'Donoghue (who took a team of alsorans and won literally everything), getting an award over Jim Gavin (who with a team who had won 4 AI in 5 years, won an all Ireland) for achievements in the last 12 months, would be the latest example of why the Dubs could very well end up sickening everyone into taking away their funding.

Rossfan

Costello's report to their convention was some whinge fest!!!
They all hate us boo hoo hoo.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on December 15, 2017, 11:04:51 AM
Costello's report to their convention was some whinge fest!!!
They all hate us boo hoo hoo.....
And written like a petulant teenager as well. The persecution complex is alive and well in the DCB.

Syferus

Everyone hates them but they do the sum total of nothing to gang up and check Dublin's advantages at congress. It feels like fighting for gun laws in the US.

From the Bunker

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/279324

Dubs disclose eye-watering commercial income

December 19, 2017

Dublin GAA generated a massive €1.62m in commercial revenue during the course of 2017.

Accounts released at last night's Convention showed that commercial income was up by €130k from the previous year. Between main sponsor AIG and partnerships forged with no fewer than twelve other commercial brands, €1,462,529 was generated in addition to the €175,000 that every county receives from the GAA's central commercial revenue pot.

Compare this to Leitrim's successful but much more modest financial year: last week, Leitrim treasurer Martin McCartin revealed that nine new sponsors had been brought on board, resulting in commercial revenue rising from €92,642 in 2016 to €122,455.

Dublin's team expenditure of €1,604,353 (up by €90,000) was wiped out by the commercial income. Overall income for the year was €4,481,063 and expenditure was €4,364,154.

The Dublin GAA brand has become a marketing juggernaut since Tomas Quinn become their full-time marketing manager in 2014 and the financial success has been mirrored on the field of play, Their latest jaw-dropping figures are sure to be the envy of every other county in Ireland.

From the Bunker

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/16m-from-sponsors-offsets-rising-costs-of-dublin-teams-36420098.html

€1.6m from sponsors offsets rising costs of Dublin teams

December 19 2017 2:30 AM

Dublin GAA generated more than €1.6m in commercial revenue in 2017, a hike of €130,000 that comfortably cancelled out a similar figure spent on the preparation of inter-county teams.

The commercial revenue figure contains the standard €175,000 distributed to all counties for their share of central commercial and media revenues.

Dublin's main sponsor is AIG but they have entered into partnerships with 12 other brands, allowing them to increase their overall take to €1,462,529.

A modest fundraising return of €54,997 was also recorded in accounts presented to the Dublin convention last night.

Team expenditure climbed by €90,000 to €1,604,353, second only to Cork who have spent over €1.74m.

Their share of the national league pot is €461,943, courtesy of their home league games and a league football final against Kerry.

Dublin's overall income was €4,481,063 with expenditure of €4,364,154.

Meanwhile, Limerick GAA had an operating deficit of €43,000 for the year as their team expenses rocketed by €250,000, despite the early exits of their footballers and hurlers.

The success of the U-21 hurlers, winning an All-Ireland title for the second time in three years, is incorporated into that figure.

The alarming figures were revealed at the weekend convention by outgoing treasurer Donal Morrissey who claimed he was excluded from the decision-making process with regard to financial matters.

Some €1,262,535 was spent on preparing all inter-county teams from U-17 to senior in hurling and football up from €997,418 in 2016. That included management costs of €270,000.

The sharp rise is in keeping with figures across the country that will see the overall expenditure on inter-county teams climb from €23,315,284 in 2016.

Syferus

TheGreatest

Quote from: Syferus on December 19, 2017, 03:26:56 PM
What a rotten sport this is.

Yeah I know, what are Limerick playing at.