***NEW Hurling Championship Proposals Revealed***

Started by thejuice, September 02, 2008, 05:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

dodo

Delighted that this has been passed. It gives hurling a boost that is very welcome. Will also allow Galway to get more competitive game(s) before they hit the knockout stages.

Rossfan

Dont know how this will pan out but after about 5 formats in 6 years can I please ask the GAA to let this system run for the full 3 years.
Dont go running off in a knee jerk to change it again after the first Breheny whinge in Reillysrag.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Minder

It will be one less excuse for Sambo and Woody now, i can just hear them next year "we need to get out of Leinster to save Antrim hurling"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Hopefully Galway can take the Bob O'Keefe cup back west across the Shannon next year to where it rightfully belongs ;D

thejuice

so it is one. well it'l make Leinster a bit more interesting but hopefuly wont stem the progress of Dublin and Westmeath.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

didlyi

Great news. I cant understand how Leinster teams think that this will weaken their chances. If they are to be good enough to win Leinster they will be good enough to beat KK and in that case probably Galway aswell in a given year. Easy access to the Leinster final doesnt mean a better chance of winiing it. With this new system teams will earn it to get to the final and be a better team for it.
However if for instance Offaly or dare I say Dublin were to beat KK in the semi and loose to Galway in the final I could see another sit down at croker.

INDIANA

farcical to still call it the leinster championship. the reality is this decision is simply to give brennan and his cabal at the top of hurling a showcase leinster final between galway and kilkenny every year and to keep the riff raff like westmeath and carlow out of thier own provincial championship thus ensuring they remian in the shithouse as regards making any strides. i don't know why the gaa don't go the whole hog and put an announcement in the paper and say they want these counties to retire. Its an absolute farce if you ask me.

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on October 05, 2008, 08:33:38 PM
farcical to still call it the leinster championship. the reality is this decision is simply to give brennan and his cabal at the top of hurling a showcase leinster final between galway and kilkenny every year and to keep the riff raff like westmeath and carlow out of thier own provincial championship thus ensuring they remian in the shithouse as regards making any strides. i don't know why the gaa don't go the whole hog and put an announcement in the paper and say they want these counties to retire. Its an absolute farce if you ask me.

Surely too improve you have to play the best and as has been said to win Leinster you need to beat Kilkenny so beating Galway shouldn't be a major issue. I can see this going very well. Galway to win an AI within 3 years !
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

The connacht football championship is a crap championship as well, would galway and mayo appreciate it if tyrone were invited into their provincial championship? I doubt it. the leinster championship is distorted by having the greatest team in the history of hurling in it and offaly, wexford and to a lesser extent dublin proved that when they played the "might" of munster this year. Weall want galway to improve, but does it have to be at the expense of everyone else?

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on October 05, 2008, 10:16:26 PM
The connacht football championship is a crap championship as well, would galway and mayo appreciate it if tyrone were invited into their provincial championship? I doubt it. the leinster championship is distorted by having the greatest team in the history of hurling in it and offaly, wexford and to a lesser extent dublin proved that when they played the "might" of munster this year. Weall want galway to improve, but does it have to be at the expense of everyone else?
Are you saying Dublin can't learn anything by playing Galway? What is their to fear from Galway sure they are 2nd best but Dublin and the others should be still focusing on Offaly and Wexford as their Goals this year . I really fail to see how getting beat by Galway is so terrible yet getting our asses handed too us by Kilkenny isn't .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

because in any given season if kilkenny were to regress , you'd be damn lucky to beat the cats and galway in the one year just to win leinster, and what does a leinster championship mean to galway. I mean they aren't from leinster, what would winning the connacht football championship mena to the dublin footballers? SFA, in reality and its the same with this. it will mean nothing to galway to win a leinster championship where as for offaly ,wexford and dublin it would be like winning the all-ireland.

orangeman

Good news for Antrim in particular - there was a plea from Sambo in the Irish News on Saturday and thankfully delegates listened to him.

didlyi

Quote from: INDIANA on October 05, 2008, 11:08:56 PM
because in any given season if kilkenny were to regress , you'd be damn lucky to beat the cats and galway in the one year just to win leinster, and what does a leinster championship mean to galway. I mean they aren't from leinster, what would winning the connacht football championship mena to the dublin footballers? SFA, in reality and its the same with this. it will mean nothing to galway to win a leinster championship where as for offaly ,wexford and dublin it would be like winning the all-ireland.

Sure, but if they are good enough they will beat both of them and will be better than winning an Ireland!

Galforever

QuoteThe connacht football championship is a crap championship as well, would galway and mayo appreciate it if tyrone were invited into their provincial championship? I doubt it. the leinster championship is distorted by having the greatest team in the history of hurling in it and offaly, wexford and to a lesser extent dublin proved that when they played the "might" of munster this year. Weall want galway to improve, but does it have to be at the expense of everyone else?

??? ??? ???

You are comparing the leinster hurling with connacht football? In Leinster, there is NO competition for Kilkenny.

In Connacht, matches are generally very competitive. Leitrim ran Galway very close this year, Sligo won Connacht last year, Roscommon generally arent far off & of course, there is usually nothing between Galway & Mayo so I dont really see your point & how you can compare them.

I would prefer if the leinster championship was abandoned to be replaced by a rest of Ireland championship (If the draw allows, a Galway-Antrim leinster final would not be the craziest idea ever). But I would have Westmeth & Carlow in there as well.