Ulster Club Hurling Championships

Started by Lecale2, October 08, 2007, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

I think it was one of the Martins that got injured, was impressed with Ballycran, they should have won it. Brendan Mc Gourty had enough chances to win two games. Ballycran were not overawed by Dunloy at all and got tore into them, a few of Dunloys elder statesmen were not at the races today. Has Conor Cunning had a falling out? Started last week but was not introduced today.

theskull1

Quote from: Balboa on October 14, 2007, 05:42:30 PM
I think it was one of the Martins that got injured, was impressed with Ballycran, they should have won it. Brendan Mc Gourty had enough chances to win two games. Ballycran were not overawed by Dunloy at all and got tore into them, a few of Dunloys elder statesmen were not at the races today. Has Conor Cunning had a falling out? Started last week but was not introduced today.

Yeah....Ballycran should have won today and Dunloy will feel very lucky to have gotten out of jail. Thought Ballycran were excellent and pulled us all over the park today. Credit must be given to our fight back though but we'll need to stop allowing them the space we gave their forward line today. Their young lads really made good use of it. No falling out Rocky. Just didn't have a good day the last day.....its a panel of 29 you know, so you have to use it from time to time.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Balboa

Quote from: theskull1 on October 14, 2007, 08:00:16 PM
Quote from: Balboa on October 14, 2007, 05:42:30 PM

Yeah....Ballycran should have won today and Dunloy will feel very lucky to have gotten out of jail. Thought Ballycran were excellent and pulled us all over the park today. Credit must be given to our fight back though but we'll need to stop allowing them the space we gave their forward line today. Their young lads really made good use of it. No falling out Rocky. Just didn't have a good day the last day.....its a panel of 29 you know, so you have to use it from time to time.

I know its a panel of 29 but its strange for a player who would be one of your main players to start one day and not be called upon at all the next day, especially in such a tight game. My honest opinion is he is twice the player of his brother that came on.

theskull1

In fairness "his brother" scored 2-1 against loughgiel in the last group game and wasn't introduced in the next game against cushendall, so it's swings and roundabouts. Whenever you have options theres going to be good men on the line disappointed. Hopefully Conor will respond in the best way possible as he is on his day a class act. Sounds like your looking for a smoking gun which just isn't there.

Balboa

Quote from: theskull1 on October 14, 2007, 11:56:00 PM
In fairness "his brother" scored 2-1 against loughgiel in the last group game and wasn't introduced in the next game against cushendall, so it's swings and roundabouts. Whenever you have options theres going to be good men on the line disappointed. Hopefully Conor will respond in the best way possible as he is on his day a class act. Sounds like your looking for a smoking gun which just isn't there.

Im not, i think its a fair enough question to ask, you dont have to be so defensive about Dunloy all the time. Is the replay this weekend?

Lecale2

Replay is this Sunday 3.00pm @ Casement.

theskull1

Quote from: Balboa on October 15, 2007, 09:13:56 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 14, 2007, 11:56:00 PM

Im not, i think its a fair enough question to ask, you dont have to be so defensive about Dunloy all the time. Is the replay this weekend?

:D Rocky you're a laugh

You start your questioning about why Conor didn't play a part yesterday by asking "Has Conor Cunning had a falling out?"  :D :D

There are 3 reasons why someone who started the last day doesn't start the next before you start looking at a "fall out" as the reasonable question to ask
1. He picks up an injury either during the game or at training
2. He doesn't perform well enough the first day and there are other options that need to be looked at
3. He loses his place to give the team better balance (say more pace inside as opposed to more strength) through no fault of his own performances

The above three factors will provide the explaination in 99% of these instances, but you go straight for the 1% chance

Can you not see why anybody would eventually get defensive about your line of questioning?

Yes the replay is this Sunday I believe

Balboa

maxpower

I would imagine with all the errors Dunloy made and with the pace of the Ballycran forwards it would have been a very entertaining game of hurling yesterday, fiar play to Ballycran they should certainly have won the game but also credit must go to Dunloy as well for getting a draw out of a game they never go on top off (maybe in the last 5 mins)

Ballycran have pace up front, but they used it wisely yesterday drawing men all over the field and leaving the space to run into when facing the goal, and has been said poor finishing cost them the win.  That said, i think Dunloy allow teams to inflict their strategy onto them too easily, it happened against Cushendall, Loughgiel and Ballycran.  DUnloy for 15 years knew if they went man for man against any team in Ulster they had a fair chance of success and so that is the way they hurl.

But hurling has changed, tactics are much more important and Dunloy allow the opposition to crowd out the dunloy half forwards and leave loads of space in defence.  Perhaps we need to be cuter for the reply

Dunloy were poor no doubt, but immense credit must go to Gregory O'Kane, the number of times he has grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck like that over the years has been countless.  If and when Dick retires they will have lost a terrific hurler and a terrific leader
What happens next????

nrico2006

Anybody know the other Ulster Club results from yesterday?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Lecale2

JHC semi final result Armoy 1-18 1-06 Naomh Colmcille

The other Junior Semi Final - Bredagh (Down) v Setanta (Donegal) is at Casement on Sunday before the Senior replay. 1.15pm throw in.

nrico2006

QuoteThe other Junior Semi Final - Bredagh (Down) v Setanta (Donegal) is at Casement on Sunday before the Senior replay. 1.15pm throw in.

Is that a home game for Bredagh then?  Be some jaunt from Killygordan to Belfast for a 1.15 throw in.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

theskull1

I'm sure Setanta won't mind playing in the home of ulster hurling. Cue Johnnycool  ;)

Lecale2

IHC Semi Finals     
  14th Oct 
Cushendun (Antrim) 1-13 v 3-10 Liatroim (Down) at Casement Park 
Keady (Armagh) 0-12 v 0-09 Eire Og Carrickmore (Tyrone) at Maghera 

milltown row

all joking aside Skull, but why should the reply be at Casement for a semi final?  i can understand the final having the same venue but not a semi final