Shinty

Started by Lamh Dhearg Alba, September 21, 2007, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Will post this on the off chance anybody is interested. Camanachd Cup Final takes place tomorrow and is live on BBC 2 Scotland which is part of some satelite packages. Fort William v. Inveraray, throw up 2.30. Should be a decent game and maybe of interest to any hurling fans at a loose end tomorrow afternoon ;)

tayto

wouldnt mind watching a game out of interest, but i dont have bbc scotland ...

saw lacrosse recently on setanta, not all that great a game really, you seem to be able to walk as far as you like with the ball in yer net.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: tayto on September 21, 2007, 03:31:37 PM

saw lacrosse recently on setanta, not all that great a game really, you seem to be able to walk as far as you like with the ball in yer net.

Yep, I saw the adds and thought wow this looks good! watched a game and couldn't get into it! very strange how you can stroll around for as long as you want with the ball in your butterfly catcher thingy.

tayto

Plus for all the padding they wear it wasnt very physical.

Gnevin

Quote from: Punxsutawney Fergal on September 21, 2007, 03:44:20 PM

Yep, I saw the adds and thought wow this looks good! watched a game and couldn't get into it! very strange how you can stroll around for as long as you want with the ball in your butterfly catcher thingy.
Basically it's Hurling lite ,
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rossfan

You can get it on the "add channels" on Sky if you have it.
I'm sure someone will put up the various "thingys" to get it??

A Láimh Dheirg - an mbeadh aon Gaidhlig le chloisint in eachtraí  Chumann na Camanachd cosúil leis and cúpla focal a úsáidtear go minic in eachtraí CLG?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Rossfan on September 21, 2007, 08:45:58 PM

You can get it on the "add channels" on Sky if you have it.
I'm sure someone will put up the various "thingys" to get it??

A Láimh Dheirg - an mbeadh aon Gaidhlig le chloisint in eachtraí  Chumann na Camanachd cosúil leis and cúpla focal a úsáidtear go minic in eachtraí CLG?

I can normally follow Irish to some extent rossfan but Im not totally sure about that one, guessing youre asking about Comunn na Camanachd's Gaelic policy in comparison to the GAA and Irish? The Camanachd Association arent generally as strong on Gaelic as the GAA are with Irish but things have picked up a bit in recent times and there will be a few Gaelic articles in the match programme tomorrow and a few of the club sides have their names on their jerseys and on club houses in Gaelic. There is also a weekly shinty highlights programme on TV in Gaelic (nice clip here http://youtube.com/watch?v=w3Lvqx-7NuA&mode=related&search= of Ronald Ross scoring a cracking goal).

A good few of the lads playing tomorrow will be involved in next months international match against Ireland.

BTW whats this talk about lacrosse, you cant be comparing shinty and lacrosse!

tayto

Jaysus, that's a peach of a gaol alright! the full back [?] didnt exactly cover himself in glory miscontrolling the ball in.

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 21, 2007, 10:25:01 PM
BTW whats this talk about lacrosse, you cant be comparing shinty and lacrosse!

Sorry that was me, it's just another sport i'm not too familiar with.

Rossfan

Fort William 3 Inverary 1. Saw some of it  - lively enough but 90 minutes seems too long.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gnevin

How they ever manage to find a compromise rules between this and hurling I'll never know
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Common root gnevin and I dont think the compromise is that hard to see, Same ancestor and same atmosphere albeit on smaller smale and the community feel of the two sports is obvious both sides of the sea. Im an Inbhir Aora man myself and we should of won that that game today but missed the chances and when the balaich eventually got the equaliser with 5 mins to go we let our guard down and conceded straight after, but thats that tha an cupa leis a' Ghearasdan. 1 win in the last 76 years :'(

Armagh4SamAgain

That was a grate goal so it was!
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Gnevin

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 23, 2007, 12:20:36 AM
Common root gnevin and I dont think the compromise is that hard to see, Same ancestor and same atmosphere albeit on smaller smale and the community feel of the two sports is obvious both sides of the sea. Im an Inbhir Aora man myself and we should of won that that game today but missed the chances and when the balaich eventually got the equaliser with 5 mins to go we let our guard down and conceded straight after, but thats that tha an cupa leis a' Ghearasdan. 1 win in the last 76 years :'(
I know the history , but its like playing a compromise between Rugby and American Football. The games are so different now that the common root is all but lost

the colonel

Quoteof Ronald Ross scoring a cracking goal).

i played a good bit of shinty while at uni in scotland, and played against the scottish team in a compromise rules game before they went to play at croke. ronald ross was playing full forward, unbelievable player. he is like the dj of shinty. unfortunetly i was playing in goals. had a bad at the end of it.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Gnevin on September 23, 2007, 01:45:55 PM
I know the history , but its like playing a compromise between Rugby and American Football. The games are so different now that the common root is all but lost

Its a fair point and its obvious when you watch the compromise rules that each team is playing a different sport. Ive enjoyed the compromise games Ive seen though and I still think its a link worth encouraging, gives lads from both countries a chance to play for their country and keeps a sporting link between the Gaels of Ireland and the Gaels of Scotland. From what I know those club sides on both sides who have developed links over the last 30 years or so have found it a rewarding experience.
As for Ronald Ross he is indeed some player, scored an incredible number of goals over the last decade or so and has been the deciding factor in an awful lot of key games.