NHL 2016

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2016, 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: Minder on February 21, 2016, 09:47:21 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on February 21, 2016, 09:12:40 PM
It was very ominous how good the new lads were for Kilkenny today. Kevin Kelly and James Maher looked very tidy and that centre back Lennon from Bennettsbridge could be a serious find too. They might well be celebrating in front of an empty Croke Park in September (bitter I know, but I'm way beyond sick of them).

Could be and probably am wrong about Lennon but I thought he looked like more of a winter hurler than one suited to the hard ground of the summer
Possibly Minder. Time will tell. He's a very big chap alright.

Asal Mor

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2016, 10:04:54 PM
Paudie maher pulls some dirty strokes sometimes.

Tipp were very fired up for that one and will be sore to lose it. Looked like they were going to run away with it on 25 odd minutes.

Interesting set of results with dublin winning. Thought them and cork were bottom two but maybe cork favourites now.

Clare got it tight enough but not sure they were full pelt from brief bit i saw. Is podge collins back?
Think he's injured but will join both panels when he's fit.

mouview

Paudie lucky not to walk for that; KK midfielder also lucky for that challenge to the face of a falling Noel McGrath later in the game. Refs giving out yellow cards like election flyers these days in the league. Tipp's play a bit too one-dimensional, route-one for much of the game, with no-one to win it inside. Once again, Bonnar's poor finishing cost Tipp v KK. Not that KK were much the better team, just had the gumption to stay in the game and take their chances when they eventually came. Not a bad game though, played with greater intensity than most league games so far.

Deise looking very good at present, Cork looking very bad. Dublin/Galway looking Jekyll and Hyde.

waterfordlad

Good start for Waterford, top of the league. No goals scored for 2nd game in a row is a slight concern but not many goals being scored in general over last 2 seasons in hurling. Anyone know where I can see fixtures for rest of league? I can't find them on main Gaa website as says no league games in next 10 days and Waterford GAA website doesn't appear to have them either. That website isn't the easiest to find your way around.

Roashter

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2016, 10:04:54 PM
Paudie maher pulls some dirty strokes sometimes.

Tipp were very fired up for that one and will be sore to lose it. Looked like they were going to run away with it on 25 odd minutes.

Interesting set of results with dublin winning. Thought them and cork were bottom two but maybe cork favourites now.

Clare got it tight enough but not sure they were full pelt from brief bit i saw. Is podge collins back?

Podge won't be back for another few months, but I'd be surprised if he plays any hurling for Clare this year.
He has stated himself that once recovered he is going to try play both football & hurling intercounty which to me is delusional especially so soon after a big injury like he has had.
Will be interesting to see how it pans out anyways for him.

Asal Mor

Quote from: mouview on February 21, 2016, 11:36:43 PM
Once again, Bonnar's poor finishing cost Tipp v KK.
He doesn't seem to be able to generate any power in his strike. Always a comfortable save for the keeper.

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 21, 2016, 11:09:55 PM
It was very ominous how good the new lads were for Kilkenny today. Kevin Kelly and James Maher looked very tidy and that centre back Lennon from Bennettsbridge could be a serious find too. They might well be celebrating in front of an empty Croke Park in September (bitter I know, but I'm way beyond sick of them).

Could be and probably am wrong about Lennon but I thought he looked like more of a winter hurler than one suited to the hard ground of the summer

Cody has a propensity of putting a big dominant lad in centre back, ala Brian Hogan who never looked the most mobile either but possibly didn't need to be as he's very strong, mobile wing men and a deep lying midfield in front of him and Lennon fits that mold and if anything looks like he could be more dominant in the air than Hogan or Joyce. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cody build his defence around this lad later on in the year.

At the same time Michael Ryan seems to be doing something similar with the spine of the Tipp defence, Barry moved out to centre back, to offer more solidity than Paudie Maher,(should have saw a red for his head high tackle) now out on the wing and Brendan Maher out the other side. Might miss big Barry on the edge of the square though as he was the standout fullback the last few years in hurling.
The young lads Tipp have introduced looked to have potential, but big Kenny will need to speed up the hurling, blocked down too easily three or four times yesterday, but can definitely win his own ball, something that Tipp forwards have lacked.

All the same TJ Reid is some spud, his touch, offloading in trouble and vision is unreal, the King is dead, long live the King it seems to be in Kilkenny.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 22, 2016, 09:38:56 AM
Quote from: mouview on February 21, 2016, 11:36:43 PM
Once again, Bonnar's poor finishing cost Tipp v KK.
He doesn't seem to be able to generate any power in his strike. Always a comfortable save for the keeper.

Bonnar might be getting sussed out. That's a few times now a big, physical centre back has just been very comfortable under the high ball with him. He's still a scrappy, annoying divil, and tries really hard, but he might be done as a centre forward. Maybe they could try him as a wing forward. I think they need to try one of their bigger lads as a ball winning centre forward.

I thought that was a very good game for the time of year. Paudie Maher could easily have been sent off. I thought Tipps backs were very good again, Cathal Barrett, young Hammill and Brendan Maher the pick of them I thought. Even James Barry did very well despite TJ Reid giving him a torrid time at times. Kilkenny are ruthless though, and that's what sets them apart. In a tight game, 9/10, Kilkenny with turn the screw with a burst of scores, usually including goals, and deal the hammer blow. Tipp were blow for blow with them, but Tipp spurned 3 or 4 goal chances, Kilkenny score 2 of their 3.

seafoid

Tipp are in transition. I don't think they are great or that will be challenging seriously this year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on February 22, 2016, 12:44:28 PM
Tipp are in transition. I don't think they are great or that will be challenging seriously this year.

They are as good as what's there.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: seafoid on February 22, 2016, 12:44:28 PM

Have some good individual backs and forwards but seem to be seriously lacking around the middle third of the field. Will probably cost them eventually unless they sort that out. Seem to be going for more the battering ram approach this year as opposed to the more measured Eamon O'Shea style of play.

Not sure we'll be able to get a read on Galway for a good while yet. I suspect they are a good bit behind the other top sides in terms of work done due to the new management team only being announced at Christmas and then the team holiday after Christmas.

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnneycool on February 22, 2016, 09:41:13 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on February 21, 2016, 11:09:55 PM

Cody has a propensity of putting a big dominant lad in centre back, ala Brian Hogan who never looked the most mobile either but possibly didn't need to be as he's very strong, mobile wing men and a deep lying midfield in front of him and Lennon fits that mold and if anything looks like he could be more dominant in the air than Hogan or Joyce. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cody build his defence around this lad later on in the year.

At the same time Michael Ryan seems to be doing something similar with the spine of the Tipp defence, Barry moved out to centre back, to offer more solidity than Paudie Maher,(should have saw a red for his head high tackle) now out on the wing and Brendan Maher out the other side. Might miss big Barry on the edge of the square though as he was the standout fullback the last few years in hurling.
The young lads Tipp have introduced looked to have potential, but big Kenny will need to speed up the hurling, blocked down too easily three or four times yesterday, but can definitely win his own ball, something that Tipp forwards have lacked.

All the same TJ Reid is some spud, his touch, offloading in trouble and vision is unreal, the King is dead, long live the King it seems to be in Kilkenny.

They thought DJ would never be replaced then along came Henry. Now they thought Henry would never be replaced then along came TJ. Always someone in KK to fill the void.

Unlaoised

That Tipp v the Cats game was a great watch I was glued to it from start to finish
LAOIS ABÚ

deiseach