Brendan Maher to lead Tipperary hurlers again next season

Started by Angus, December 10, 2015, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Brendan Maher has been confirmed as Tipperary senior hurling captain for a third successive season.

- What are you gonna say about this, guys?

seafoid

Quote from: Angus on December 10, 2015, 10:39:12 AM
Brendan Maher has been confirmed as Tipperary senior hurling captain for a third successive season.

- What are you gonna say about this, guys?
What's the maher with you ?
The one thing I took from Tipp 2015 was the reliance on Seamus Callanan for scores. I think 3 of the forwards were taken off in the semi final.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Podge72

Dear Santa

Please can I have the following for my team in 2016

A centre back

A new pair of midfielders

2 scoring forwards

Oh ps Santa they all should be to win possession,especially the aerial variety

Thanks

Mick Ryan
Upperchurch

AZOffaly

I think the raid of the footballers is designed to address the half forward issue. Wouldn't be surprised if Steven obrien was on the half forward line in the league.

Podge72

Initial Training Panel announced

Tipperary SH panel - Goalkeepers: Darren Gleeson, Brian Hogan.

Defenders: Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Conor O'Brien, Michael Cahill, Padraic Maher (vice-captain), Ronan Maher, Barry Heffernan, Michael Breen, Paddy Stapleton, John Meagher, Joe O'Dwyer, Liam Ryan, Seamus Kennedy, Tomas Hamill, Willie Ryan.

Midfielders: Brendan Maher (captain), Kieran Bergin, Bill Maher, Daire Quinn, Joe Gallagher.

Forwards: John O'Dwyer, Seamus Callanan, Niall O'Meara, Patrick Maher, Noel McGrath, Liam McGrath, John McGrath, Jason Forde, Gearoid Ryan, Adrian Ryan, Dan McCormack, Conor Kenny, Kieran Morris, Andrew Coffey, Sean Ryan, Sean Curran, Steven O'Brien, Dylan Fitzell.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Podge72 on December 10, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
Dear Santa

A centre back

2 scoring forwards

Thanks

Mick Ryan
Upperchurch

If I was from tipp I wouldn't know if I should laugh or cry at this
Very good
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

Quote from: Podge72 on December 11, 2015, 09:31:16 AM
Initial Training Panel announced

Tipperary SH panel - Goalkeepers: Darren Gleeson, Brian Hogan.

Defenders: Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Conor O'Brien, Michael Cahill, Padraic Maher (vice-captain), Ronan Maher, Barry Heffernan, Michael Breen, Paddy Stapleton, John Meagher, Joe O'Dwyer, Liam Ryan, Seamus Kennedy, Tomas Hamill, Willie Ryan.

Midfielders: Brendan Maher (captain), Kieran Bergin, Bill Maher, Daire Quinn, Joe Gallagher.

Forwards: John O'Dwyer, Seamus Callanan, Niall O'Meara, Patrick Maher, Noel McGrath, Liam McGrath, John McGrath, Jason Forde, Gearoid Ryan, Adrian Ryan, Dan McCormack, Conor Kenny, Kieran Morris, Andrew Coffey, Sean Ryan, Sean Curran, Steven O'Brien, Dylan Fitzell.
That-s a lot of Mahers.
Tipp need a bit more steel and forwards who can score under pressure.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

Good to see plenty of Ryans there. Waterford have fallen short in the Power stakes in recent years. Although seeing as we haven't had a Power start for us in the Championship since 1997, that might be just as well.

johnneycool

Quote from: Podge72 on December 10, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
Dear Santa

A centre back

2 scoring forwards

Thanks

Mick Ryan
Upperchurch

Where would you play Paudie Maher, if not centre back?

AZOffaly

johnneycool

AZOffaly

As opposed to centre back? He's lose, and mad to hurl loads of ball, so I'd play him on the wing. Problem is, who plays #6? James Barry might play there, but then you're in trouble at full back.

To be honest I think the Tipp backs are fine, even with Paudie at Centre back. The first issue I'd be looking at is the half forward line. when the fat is in the fire, you need someone to win a ball, and for the last 4 or 5 years, that's been conspicuous by its absence. Stephen O'Brien will be interesting and there's a couple of new lads in there that would be there with that in mind, so we'll see.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2015, 01:49:22 PM
As opposed to centre back? He's lose, and mad to hurl loads of ball, so I'd play him on the wing. Problem is, who plays #6? James Barry might play there, but then you're in trouble at full back.

To be honest I think the Tipp backs are fine, even with Paudie at Centre back. The first issue I'd be looking at is the half forward line. when the fat is in the fire, you need someone to win a ball, and for the last 4 or 5 years, that's been conspicuous by its absence. Stephen O'Brien will be interesting and there's a couple of new lads in there that would be there with that in mind, so we'll see.

When centre back he played deep and swept up the lose ball with the midfielders covering the area his opposite number occupied, can work well if he's using the ball well and the opposite No.11 is starved of possession, but can go wrong so easily when he's avoided by a decent team.

Big Hogan did it for years for Kilkenny, not sure Tipp mastered it as well all the same.

ashman

Interesting here but I think Michael Ryan is looking to play a more traditional game so to speak where at least 3 forwards can win a lot of dirty ball .  The game under o Shea was based on creation of space and when it worked it was effective but the better opposition sussed it.

They should win munster next year but hard to see September glory unless the new style is successful .

AZOffaly

I'll be shocked if they win Munster next year, unless they have an absolutely brilliant league in terms of bedding in players and positions. As I said, even with Paudie's looseness around the #6 position, I think they are good in the backline. However they have a long standing problem in the half forward line with winning ball when you need it to be won. Jason Forde is not the answer out there, nor is having Bubbles Dwyer, or trying to move Callanan out there. By all means move them out if they are getting suffocated in there, but don't be moving them out as the answer to your ball winning issues.

Moving Brendan Maher back to centre field will be necessary because of the retirements, but also because of the fact that the false 11 position he played last year put even more pressure on the half forward line, so that experiment will be revoked I think.

In the half forward line, Bonner Maher is the only lad from last year that has a chance of winning scrappy puck outs when you're in trouble, but he's not a physically imposing lad, he's more of a constant motion annoyance to defenders, and he is a good lad to run at a defence when he has the chance.

I'm very surprised Denis Maher from Thurles has been dropped. I think he's been rawly treated in there. He has the body type they need to win ball, and he has the attitude as well. I'd have thought he'd be worth a run in a few games to see can he contribute in one of those problem wing forward positions. Stephen O'Brien is another interesting prospect there. He has the size and the inclination to go and win ball, we all know that, so it will be down to how his hurling stands up.

I think Tipp would take a less skillful, more powerful half forward line to be honest. With lads like Callanan, Bubbles and maybe Forde inside, there are lots of scores on that team anyway, but they'll do nothing if they don't get ball.