Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2015, 06:04:21 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 12, 2015, 03:28:09 PM
I think you know what I mean by AZ. I'm only wondering.

Plenty of managers like to make good money from the GAA although its not a world I know much about. I know nothing about AC, so its just an innocent query.

Cunningham isn't in this for money. Would be demand in many counties in both codes and he'd have far less headaches from petulant players. He is about the most passionate man about Galway hurling that you'll find.

Passion alone not enough; you want a cool tactician on the line to make the right calls when things going against you.
I'm one of the most passionate fans you'll get but I wouldn't put me in charge.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 13, 2015, 09:27:12 PM

Plenty of managers like to make good money from the GAA although its not a world I know much about. I know nothing about AC, so its just an innocent query.

Cunningham isn't in this for money. Would be demand in many counties in both codes and he'd have far less headaches from petulant players. He is about the most passionate man about Galway hurling that you'll find.

Passion alone not enough; you want a cool tactician on the line to make the right calls when things going against you.
+1

tactics in the heat of battle and he couldn't deliver.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Duine Eile

And now there's claims Cunningham shouldn't have been ratified at all that fateful night because it wasn't on the official Clár for the meeting and as a result of that his ratification wasn't official, another black mark, amongst all the others, against the county board.  ::) I can't understand why Cunningham is digging his heels in, the players have been united and unmoving since this whole mess began, why would he want to walk back into that dressing room knowing he's not wanted there?

macdanger2

Yeah, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, he should just walk away

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 14, 2015, 03:20:53 PM

+1

I think thats a bit harsh on Cunningham. Yeah, he may have questions to answer, but surely it wasn't him who told his defence to pump high ball into the Kilkenny defence after opening them up well in the first half with good interworking and getting the ball into the spaces.
The players themselves lacked the experience and wherewithal to hold to the plan when Kilkenny came at them with all they've got. Getting rid of Cunningham may mean another man coming in and ripping the heart out of the team on yet another 3/5 year plan.
The Galway team needs a bit of fine tuning, not ripped apart yet again!

There was strange goings on with players allegedly told in advance that they'd be going on in place of someone after so many minutes and then the players sharing this information. Thats pure madness on Cunninghams part if its remotely true.

MoChara

The Galway senior hurling panel last night voted against keeping Anthony Cunningham on as manager through 2016, with the majority saying the won't line out if he remains in charge.

There had been a mediation process taking place between the players, management and county board in recent weeks. However, these talks ended without any progress, leading to last night's vote.
RTÉ Sport understands that at last night's meeting the players were asked two questions. The first was 'Have you confidence in the current management?' with 26 voting no and six voting yes. And in answer to whether or not they would hurl for the current management team, the panel voted 23-9 against.

The vote was done by secret ballot and was overseen by an independent observer.

Tonight, however, the County Board meet when the clubs will have their say on the matter.

The clubs re-appointed Cunningham shortly after the All-Ireland final loss to Kilkenny in September, but they will now be asked to re-visit that process.
Cunningham has been in charge since 2012, but members of the squad informed the board in early October that they had lost confidence in his management.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1116/742186-galway-players/

deiseach

You have to laugh at the secret ballot nature of the vote. Is it so unreasonable to ask that the opinion of players in this matter be on the record? No manager has the luxury of their decisions not being attributed to them.

imtommygunn

Then there's the 3 players who have no confidence in the current manager but would hurl for them...

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on November 16, 2015, 09:25:00 AM

+1

I think thats a bit harsh on Cunningham. Yeah, he may have questions to answer, but surely it wasn't him who told his defence to pump high ball into the Kilkenny defence after opening them up well in the first half with good interworking and getting the ball into the spaces.
The players themselves lacked the experience and wherewithal to hold to the plan when Kilkenny came at them with all they've got. Getting rid of Cunningham may mean another man coming in and ripping the heart out of the team on yet another 3/5 year plan.

There was strange goings on with players allegedly told in advance that they'd be going on in place of someone after so many minutes and then the players sharing this information. Thats pure madness on Cunninghams part if its remotely true.
It was the same in the second half of the drawn 2012 AIF, Johnny.
Fine when things were going well but no answers when the cats put them on the back foot. No Plan B.
anyway all the fist pumping in the first half this year really got KKs gander up.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

I'm pretty sure I saw a quote attributed to one of the Waterford panel after the heave against Michael Ryan along the lines of 'we didn't say we wanted him gone, we just said we had no confidence in him' ::)

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2015, 12:12:17 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 16, 2015, 09:25:00 AM

+1

It was the same in the second half of the drawn 2012 AIF, Johnny.
Fine when things were going well but no answers when the cats put them on the back foot. No Plan B.
anyway all the fist pumping in the first half this year really got KKs gander up.

the KK lads have been in the tight corners before, fist pumping isn't going to bother them, its the scoreboard that bothers them. Galway didn't have the lead their first half domination deserved. Kilkenny were always going to come out blazing, the Galway players just didn't seem to be primed for that, irrespective of Plan A, Plan B or whatever and most of these lads have been involved in 2012 as well as Cunningham.
I just think some of the players and their attitude in blaming Cunningham for their woes in AI finals is missing the point somewhat.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on November 16, 2015, 12:15:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a quote attributed to one of the Waterford panel after the heave against Michael Ryan along the lines of 'we didn't say we wanted him gone, we just said we had no confidence in him' ::)

This is precisely why it is a secret ballot.

The response would simply be to identify and rip individuals apart. Just like the Mayo CB tried to do initially by announcing who voted which way during the secret ballot. They then invited the 2 player reps to a meeting and 26 extremely pissed off players showed up.

Far better keeping it a secret ballot unless you want to see your county ripped asunder.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

It should be a secret ballot so players can get away with weasely formulations like the one I mentioned?

Zulu

This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and walk away.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on November 16, 2015, 01:41:03 PM
This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and walk away.

This is true, but at the same time if this becomes a pattern, you have to start looking at do you have the right players (as a county board I mean).