Kilkenny v Tipp

Started by Catscream, August 20, 2014, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

focusing on silly things, the umpire (who I assume completed the umpires course, yes there is one) called it right and if in doubt the referee would have made the main call either way

on a side note I noticed Clare are a decent price for next year (should they get their act together) 9/2 for the All Ireland, I take it Davy will still be manager next year?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 13, 2014, 09:53:55 AM
focusing on silly things, the umpire (who I assume completed the umpires course, yes there is one) called it right and if in doubt the referee would have made the main call either way

It was as big a call as it's possible to make and he a] had the cojones to make it and Hawk-Eye be damned, and b] he got it right. Maith an fear.

orangeman

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 11, 2014, 04:37:28 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 11, 2014, 04:23:15 PM
I remember a couple of times against Galway where Larkin engineered frees by holding the defenders arm so it looked like the defender was wrapping the hurl around him. I wouldn't have much sympathy for him. Like Drogba in the Champion's League semi against Barca, and the boy who cried wolf, what goes around comes around.

Hence why I believe his previous 'winning' of frees was in the back of Kelly's mind before he decided if Larkin was fouled or not.

Dead right. It's the only reason you could see for him not getting a couple of those decisions. I think it's fair enough too. Good man Barry.

Whilst Barry might have had his previous of "winning" frees in the back of his mind before he decided if Larkin was fouled or not, then Barry went out with preconceived ideas of KK winning frees etc, started to ref the game in his mind, based on what he thought he saw  as opposed to what he actually saw and consequently rode Larkin and KK in general.

Good man Barry if your not from KK.

Asal Mor

I'm not saying it's fair enough if he rode Kilkenny in general, and I don't think he did. But I do think there's some justice in Larkin's case as he's played for frees in the past ( and worst of all, he did it against Galway). I don't know if he's a consistent diver. I only really noticed him doing it against us. It's an unfair comparison to Larkin but I saw Ashley Young denied what should have been a penalty against West Ham too, probably because of his reputation, and I was thrilled. There's a great karmic justice in it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: deiseach on September 13, 2014, 10:03:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 13, 2014, 09:53:55 AM

It was as big a call as it's possible to make and he a] had the cojones to make it and Hawk-Eye be damned, and b] he got it right. Maith an fear.

All the calls are big during a match, like the penalty decisions (which I though were spot on ish ;) ) I had to do the same thing last week and discussed with both umpires on a penalty decision, was he inside the line or not. They are 6 yards away I was 20 yards, that's what they are there for
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Not looking for a thread just put it up here.

What a fantastic second half yesterday in the Under 21 final. so many good things about that match and defo up there with the senior game on Sunday, that is a real emerging Clare and Wexford team. Brilliant game and end to end stuff, Clare just had that extra throttle to push on and get the vital scores in the end to nudge in front by the safe margin (4 points) every time.

If Clare get the right man (Fitz is damaged goods I think) then they will win maybe the next 2/3 senior championships

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2014, 11:54:30 AM

What a fantastic second half yesterday in the Under 21 final. so many good things about that match and defo up there with the senior game on Sunday, that is a real emerging Clare and Wexford team. Brilliant game and end to end stuff, Clare just had that extra throttle to push on and get the vital scores in the end to nudge in front by the safe margin (4 points) every time.

If Clare get the right man (Fitz is damaged goods I think) then they will win maybe the next 2/3 senior championships

I've loved this competition for years now, there's something purer about it than the senior game and a lot less negativity as well as a fantastic standard of hurling.

Clare probably have gotten all the senior hurlers off that team already that they will get, I think it was said that 7 or 8 are already on the senior panel so will need to hopefully keep going with these young men for the foreseeable, but they're real stars in Tony Kelly and Galvin who are very similar hurlers. I think they still need another few hurlers like John Conlan, able to win all sorts of ball that some their way, maybe Bobby Duggan is the most similar to that but a bit of balance is needed with the fast, wristy hurlers to get back to the first Sunday in September.
As for Davy, he'll have to go in his own time, remember daddy is county secretary and no one is allowed to question his methods even if indeed they seem to be detrimental to the team.

Wexford in McDonald have one of the best hurlers and scoring forwards about at the minute, he's the new Joe Canning, so expectation is going to mount on his shoulders over the coming years, and we'll see how he handles it.
Shoe in for young hurler of the year IMO.

Thank you TG4.

mouview

Quote from: johnneycool on September 15, 2014, 09:16:12 AM

I've loved this competition for years now, there's something purer about it than the senior game and a lot less negativity as well as a fantastic standard of hurling.

Clare probably have gotten all the senior hurlers off that team already that they will get, I think it was said that 7 or 8 are already on the senior panel so will need to hopefully keep going with these young men for the foreseeable, but they're real stars in Tony Kelly and Galvin who are very similar hurlers. I think they still need another few hurlers like John Conlan, able to win all sorts of ball that some their way, maybe Bobby Duggan is the most similar to that but a bit of balance is needed with the fast, wristy hurlers to get back to the first Sunday in September.
As for Davy, he'll have to go in his own time, remember daddy is county secretary and no one is allowed to question his methods even if indeed they seem to be detrimental to the team.

Wexford in McDonald have one of the best hurlers and scoring forwards about at the minute, he's the new Joe Canning, so expectation is going to mount on his shoulders over the coming years, and we'll see how he handles it.

Thank you TG4.

That's for sure but he's not, nor anywhere near. Fairly good target man but awkward enough in spots and not always does anything come off his possessions. JC was fully formed even in his teenage years, vide his performance in '06 club final.

johnneycool

Quote from: mouview on September 15, 2014, 10:16:54 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 15, 2014, 09:16:12 AM

Thank you TG4.

That's for sure but he's not, nor anywhere near. Fairly good target man but awkward enough in spots and not always does anything come off his possessions. JC was fully formed even in his teenage years, vide his performance in '06 club final.

Yeah, he'd a great '06 club final vrs Newtownshandrum but was getting exceptional ball put into him with Portumna in those days, he struggled badly in his last year at minor though when Paudie Maher held him well from play in the AI final which Tipp won. JC is human as well.

I'd have McDonald stronger in the air than JC, with JC being a better all round hurler.

Asal Mor

Galway beat Clare in the minor semi-final in 2011. 3 years later the Clare lads have developed into All-Ireland winners at U-21 and senior and our lads haven't reached anywhere near their full potential.

It's unsurprising with the way things are run in Galway. No senior club championship games all summer(seemingly for financial reasons) and a league that is treated as a joke by most clubs. One championship match for the county U-21 team and 2 for the minors this year. We need to go into Leinster at underage for more games. It's not that surprising that good minors aren't developing into good seniors when they don't have games and competitions to train for during the summer.

All-Ireland Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final – Galway 1-23 Clare 1-18
Galway Minors see off Clare after extra-time.

Clare Scorers: C O'Connell 0-6 (0-2f) A Cunningham 0-4, O Hickey 1-0, T Kelly 0-3 (0-1f), C Galvin 0-3, S O'Donnell 0-2, M Moroney 0-1.

Galway Scorers: S Maloney 0-10 (0-7f), G O'Donoghue 1-2, J Carr 0-3, P Brehony 0-2, D Higgins 0-2, J Hanbary 0-1, B Lane 0-1, M Mullins 0-1, B Molloy 0-1.

Clare: E Quilligan; S O'Brien, J Browne, S Morey; J Colleran, J Shanahan, G O'Connell; C Galvin, T Kelly; E Enright, C O'Connell, P Duggan; S O'Donnell, O Hickey, A Cunningham.
Subs: S Liddy for G O'Connell (38'), M Moronry for G O'Connell (45'), D Moloney for Liddy (70'), G O'Connell for O Hickey (77').

Galway: S Mannion; O Teagle, P Killeen, C Diviney; J Hanbary, S Sweeney, P Mannion; B Lane, P Brehony; J Flynn, J Glynn, A Tuohy; G O'Donoghue, S Maloney, K Cullinane.
Subs: J Carr for Cullinane (30'), D Higgins for Flynn (37'), B Molloy for Lane, M Mullins for Flynn (54'), P Flathery for G O'Donoghue (69').

Jeepers Creepers

+1. just hurl.

pullhard

If King Henry and Tommy are to play, they both surely must start.

johnneycool

Quote from: pullhard on September 22, 2014, 08:54:23 AM
If King Henry and Tommy are to play, they both surely must start.

IIRC Henry may have only started one game this year in the championship and Tommy none but I could be incorrect.

I'll find it hard to see either of them starting come saturday evening.

Canalman

Regardless of whether he plays in replay and KK win Shefflin can say he won the 10 titles "on the field of play".

Thought the substitutions on both sides in the first game were bizarre tbh. To me anyway there seems to be a mentality out there that you HAVE  to make all 5 substitutions or else you are not an astute manager.

Only watching on the tv but it seemed lads who were playing well were being substituted.

johnneycool

Both Mahers fit to start on Saturday, will Richie Hogan make it as well?