Kilkenny v Tipp

Started by Catscream, August 20, 2014, 07:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2014, 08:22:58 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 09, 2014, 04:24:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 09, 2014, 03:49:26 PM
Jesus the worst collision I ever saw on a hurling field was a couple of years (maybe last year) in Thurles when Kilkenny hurled Galway in the league. Walter Walsh absolutely wrote off Fergal Moore. It was a scary, scary collision, and I thought Moore was badly broke up. Walsh never flinched. I'd say the physical stuff would be well up his alley.

Paudie Maher handled him without too much bother at times on Sunday.

Not much was made of Gleeson clattering Larkin in the second half:

a) He came out feet first - is this legal?
b) One of the replays on TSG suggested Larkin's hurl reached the sliotar first, but not sure. If so, then surely a foul?

Clearly got the ball as the direction of the ball clearly showed before looking at the replay, wasn't really feet first, he (in my book) did rightly. Larkin was fine, tried to milk it a bit me thinks

Watched it all again tonight, as I'd a few more beers than I should have by the final whistle!! serious scoring but great defending also!!

What time is the replay?

5pm
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Jesus the worst collision I ever saw on a hurling field was a couple of years (maybe last year) in Thurles when Kilkenny hurled Galway in the league. Walter Walsh absolutely wrote off Fergal Moore. It was a scary, scary collision, and I thought Moore was badly broke up. Walsh never flinched. I'd say the physical stuff would be well up his alley.

b) One of the replays on TSG suggested Larkin's hurl reached the sliotar first, but not sure. If so, then surely a foul?

Clearly got the ball as the direction of the ball clearly showed before looking at the replay, wasn't really feet first, he (in my book) did rightly. Larkin was fine, tried to milk it a bit me thinks

Not necessarily, if (and that's a genuine if) Larkin got to the ball first and got clattered, the ball would have gone out the field anyway. The second replay definitely suggested Larkin nipped in front of him.

orangeman

Quote from: gallsman on September 11, 2014, 09:06:40 AM

Not necessarily, if (and that's a genuine if) Larkin got to the ball first and got clattered, the ball would have gone out the field anyway. The second replay definitely suggested Larkin nipped in front of him.

My immediate reaction - it was a case of Gleeson taking Larkin out. Play on by the ref !. Larkin wasn't for getting many frees.

Asal Mor

I remember a couple of times against Galway where Larkin engineered frees by holding the defenders arm so it looked like the defender was wrapping the hurl around him. I wouldn't have much sympathy for him. Like Drogba in the Champion's League semi against Barca, and the boy who cried wolf, what goes around comes around.

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 11, 2014, 04:23:15 PM
I remember a couple of times against Galway where Larkin engineered frees by holding the defenders arm so it looked like the defender was wrapping the hurl around him. I wouldn't have much sympathy for him. Like Drogba in the Champion's League semi against Barca, and the boy who cried wolf, what goes around comes around.

Hence why I believe his previous 'winning' of frees was in the back of Kelly's mind before he decided if Larkin was fouled or not.

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 11, 2014, 04:23:15 PM

Hence why I believe his previous 'winning' of frees was in the back of Kelly's mind before he decided if Larkin was fouled or not.

Dead right. It's the only reason you could see for him not getting a couple of those decisions. I think it's fair enough too. Good man Barry.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2014, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2014, 12:33:50 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 08, 2014, 11:47:40 AM
I thought the same - but with Peter Mc Kenna on Hawk eye it was never going to be given.

Was given as wide because it was wide, nothing more!

Correct, and isn't it great to have it? Imagine if the umpire was swayed by the Tipp crowd behind the goals and gave it?

The Hawkeye operator then would have told Kelly that he needed to go to Hawkeye to review the last score attempt and it would have been disallowed.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Does the hawk eye guy have that power? I thought he had to be consulted, like the tmo in rugby.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2014, 07:44:52 PM
Does the hawk eye guy have that power? I thought he had to be consulted, like the tmo in rugby.

Yep. If a point or wide is called incorrectly by the umpire and the referee doesn't over-rule him then the Hawkeye operator will tell the referee that he has to go to Hawkeye regarding that last score attempt. That much I'm sure of and from that I take it that every score/wide is verified by Hawkeye no matter how obvious it was. From recollection that's how the Limerick minors were robbed last year. The umpire gave the point but the Hawkeye operator called the referee because some ejiot put the football values into the system instead of the hurling ones.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 11, 2014, 08:07:29 PM
Yep. If a point or wide is called incorrectly by the umpire and the referee doesn't over-rule him then the Hawkeye operator will tell the referee that he has to go to Hawkeye regarding that last score attempt. That much I'm sure of and from that I take it that every score/wide is verified by Hawkeye no matter how obvious it was. From recollection that's how the Limerick minors were robbed last year. The umpire gave the point but the Hawkeye operator called the referee because some ejiot put the football values into the system instead of the hurling ones.

Hmm. Everything on the GAA's website suggests that Hawk-Eye only intervenes if the umpire makes no decision or the ref calls for it.

AZOffaly

I don't think you're right Croí.

AZOffaly

Actually deiseach, I had a look at that and I think Croí is right....

What happens if Umpire does not make a decision?
Where Umpire does not indicate that a point has been scored and the play continues:
Review Official communicates to Referee that a Hawk-Eye review is necessary
Referee stops play
Referee makes a 'box' signal with his hands to seek Hawk-Eye review
The Hawk-Eye replay is shown on the Big Screen
Referee confirms Hawk-Eye decision and awards a 'point'. Umpire signals the decision.
What happens if Referee seeks Hawk-Eye review of an Umpire decision?
Where Umpire makes an incorrect decision regarding a 'point' or 'wide':
Umpire makes incorrect decision (i.e. 'point' or 'wide')
Review Official communicates to Referee that a Hawk-Eye review is necessary
Referee makes a 'box' signal with his hands to seek Hawk-Eye review
The Hawk-Eye replay is shown on the Big Screen
Referee confirms Hawk-Eye decision and makes the appropriate decision. Umpire signals that decisio

Zulu

But is that not only in the case of the umpire not making any decision?

Didn't the umpire call for Hawkeye on all 3 occasions anyway? He certainly made the box signal first on each occasion.

AZOffaly

He did.

But that above says if the umpire makes no decision OR makes the wrong decision.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 13, 2014, 09:34:59 AM
He did.

But that above says if the umpire makes no decision OR makes the wrong decision.

It's badly worded, but the line before the bit about the umpire making an incorrect decision says "What happens if Referee seeks Hawk-Eye review of an Umpire decision?" This implies the ref needs to question the umpire's decision to call in Hawk-Eye and everything that follows is the procedure in the event of the umpire getting it wrong, the Hawk-Eye equivalent of crossing the flags.

In short, why have all this verbiage if the rule is "Hawk-Eye makes every decision"? (NB the answers "cos this is the GAA" is a cop-out ;))