Munster championship 2014

Started by waterfordlad, May 22, 2014, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

why have safety standards for helmets if the players are just allowed to change the faceguard or remove bars?

at a certain point you have to follow some sort of rules on playing equipment

Franko

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 27, 2015, 04:11:45 PM
why have safety standards for helmets if the players are just allowed to change the faceguard or remove bars?

at a certain point you have to follow some sort of rules on playing equipment

The answer to question 1 is because said Health and Safety minded, pen pushing monkey from an insurance company got involved.  It wasn't so long ago that a player didn't even have to wear a helmet, never mind a faceguard.  Now you want the referee to run around checking that 50 odd helmets and faceguards meet some daft safety standard before/during a game.  Cop yerself on man, have you even begun to think of the practicalities of that?  Referees and playing squads would be turning up 4 hours before a game to have their equipment checked.  Then you'd have to keep the helmets under lock and key until just before the game started to stop players sticking the preferred faceguard back on again after they were checked.

Players do follow rules on helmets with faceguards.  They wear them.

Whether it be sport, business or just general life, the more that guys that think like you can be kept the hell away from things and let others actually get stuff done, the better.

And to return to where this whole thing started, for the third time I'll repeat it... it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to Callinan either way.

manfromdelmonte

the two players in that photo had illegal faceguards on

We'll never know if it wouldn't have made a difference.
I just know that two players were wearing illegal helmets and one of them sustained a serious dental injury.

So I suppose Franko, you've just proved yourself how important unaltered helmets are.
And not just to pen pushing insurance monkeys

heffo

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 27, 2015, 05:40:43 PM

I just know that two players were wearing illegal helmets and one of them sustained a serious dental injury.

So I suppose Franko, you've just proved yourself how important unaltered helmets are.

His top teeth were broken from impact by his lower teeth. His faceguard shape or gaps had nothing to do with it.

Franko

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 27, 2015, 05:40:43 PM
the two players in that photo had illegal faceguards on

We'll never know if it wouldn't have made a difference.

Some thinly stretched logic there!!  Two players (both with modified helmets on) clash heads and one is absolutely fine.  I could use that as evidence that the mods to the helmet made fcuk all difference.  Anyway, the penny doesn't seem to be dropping with you. Heffo outlined what the cause of the injury was. No helmet provides protection against that.

Also, you just admitted that you haven't a clue whether the mods to the helmet made any difference or not.  Yet earlier you had attributed the blame for the whole thing to this and had called for referees to clamp down on it??  This is why people like you should be kept away from any sort of decision making process like this.  You haven't a clue what the problem is yet have went off on a stupid tangent shouting about unsafe helmets and blaming a referee for not doing his job properly.  People that think like you create nothing but hassle and paperwork for others who are trying to get on with things.

Asal Mor

Surely puts to bed the old "Callanan is windy" myth for once and for all. That showed phenomenal guts.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 29, 2015, 10:32:19 PM
Surely puts to bed the old "Callanan is windy" myth for once and for all. That showed phenomenal guts.

It's a different type of courage. And I hate that old 'windy' shite anyway. However it doesn't put to rest the fact that Seamie struggles to win his own ball against a tight, physical opponent, especially when the fat is in the fire. It's the ability to grab a game that's going against you, and win an important puckout or a vital 50-50.

It's not just Seamie, and the Tipp forwards will have to sort it out. When Limerick were on top, the same old failings were apparent. I think it took Brendan Maher to hit a bad wide, which cause a puck out that was hit straight to Jason Forde, for him to get a vital point. That sort of small thing was important last Sunday week.

You have to be able to win a ball in the forwards when the game is in the melting pot.

Asal Mor

Yeah he needs a certain kind of ball played into him, but like yourself I can't stand the term "windy"  and the way it's used so often to describe a player who is not just a brilliant hurler but also delivers when needed most. He has the courage to go for goals where most lads would tap it over. Imo he has a serious pair of liathroidi.

deiseach

I don't think, and never have thought, that Séamus Callinan lacked courage. But staying on the pitch and loitering around the ground after having all those teeth knocked out makes me wonder whether the sense was knocked out of him as well.

southdown

I will be at at Thurles next week sampling Munster hurling for the first time.  I have a few questions.

Where is good for a pint before and after?
We are standing on the Killinan End, will it be dominated by supporters from one side or is it mixed?

Can't wait!

waterfordlad

There's plenty pubs in the Square in Thurles and on street on way out to ground like Ryans, Kennedys, Coppingers/Corbetts and there will be a good atmosphere next Sunday. You can get a drink at ground itself too. Tipperary fans are in Killinan end next Sunday and Waterford fans are in Town End. Only tickets I've seen left online are in Town End so could be a bit of mixing of fans in that end.
I'm looking forward to the game now. Enjoy your trip to Thurles.

Premier Emperor

The Square has a great atmosphere on Munster final day, though Waterford can bring a rough crowd with them that might start acting up. You'll probably leave yourself short on time to visit the pubs on the way from the square to the ground. If you are coming in from the Twomileborris side, grab a 6 pack in Aldi on the way and have them with you for the terrace.

AZOffaly

Really looking forward to this. Hope Tipp can do it, as this bunch need a trophy I think. It will be interesting to see how Tipp deal with Waterford's set up. Waterford are on a high, and seem to be very together, but so are Tipp. Hopefully it's a cracker.

Asal Mor

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, it's very impressive....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65PR7_T8ls

The Waterford crossbar challenge.

Premier Emperor

That was harder than I imagined, but great to have the Munster title back.