Munster championship 2014

Started by waterfordlad, May 22, 2014, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 13, 2015, 12:59:47 AM
That was harder than I imagined, but great to have the Munster title back.

Not a great game in all fairness, but intriguing all the same. Tipp got the start that they wanted, but Kevin Moran started getting onto the ball and bringing Waterford back into the game well. It was nip and tuck from then till the last 10 minutes where Tipp managed to get the 4 and 5 point lead to have a bit of a cushion to see them home and hosed.

Waterfords stickwork wasn't as crisp as it had been, but that could be put down to the Tipp lads closing down quickly and denying the space to get the moves going. O'Shea should be credited with getting that right although he does seem to be slow in making the moves which seemed a bit obvious, bringing Callanan and O'Dwyer out were no brainers and made the difference.
Inexperience may have cost Waterford, too often Dunford in particular seemed to take too much out of the ball, running down corners, making the shooting angle worse with every stride, others pumping long ball either dropping harmlessly wide or into the unmarked arms of Paudie  Maher or the Keeper. The two Waterford shots for goal shouldn't really be bothering a keeper at this level and were easily saved.
Maybe the setup isn't conducive to getting goals unless breaking at speed into the area, but I'm sure Derek McGrath will be happy enough that his young team, many their first big senior outing will have learned that they're ready for it and will still have something to offer this year, let alone the future.
For Tipp, nothing less than an AI will suffice this year

County Man

Inevitable. Tipperary always had too much.

Lacklustre contest.

AZOffaly

Posted this on the other thread....

was an unusual game alright. (I think this should be in the Munster Championship thread, but sure how and ever). I think Tipp out thought themselves. They were so determined to play diagonal balls that they played them even when they weren't on. Tipp's route to success is down the wing, or else carrying through the middle. When the half backs and corner backs hit the long straight delivery, especially on the left side of Waterford's defence, they had some joy. When they hit aimless 100 yard clearances down to a 4 or 5 man inside back line, or else blindly hit diagonal balls which were cut out in the centre of the field, it was soul destroying.

One thing I couldn't believe from Tipp, when the game was going against them, was how long it took for them to move Bubbles and Callanan out to the 40. If your best scorers are not getting on the ball, and that is largely due to them being suffocated inside, bring them out. Let them get on handy ball 50 or 60 yards out. These lads can score from there. It made so much sense, that it's a bit worrying it took so long to happen.

From a Waterford perspective, the wides are the killer. They remind me of a 3 point shooting NBA team. If the radar is working, they will be a very dangerous team. But it's a low percentage shot a lot of the time, and when you have 1 poor cratur inside on his own, it's a tough shift for him.But credit to the Deise, they work like dogs and are as honest as the day is long. In De Burca and Barron they have a couple of gems, and Austin Gleeson probably falls into that category if you could get him on more ball.

Tipperary, credit to them,  worked very hard as well. They had their usual period where they couldn't buy a break or a clean win of ball in the forwards, which was compounded by the aimless, confused passing, but they did work hard to hassle the Waterford backs coming out. O'MEara, Bonner, Callanan, BRendan Maher, Bubble and Forde all blocked, hooked and harried more than I've seen them in a long time.

AZOffaly

By the way, I walked out onto the pitch afterwards, and it was simply fantastic. The Groundsmen in Thurles do some job. They finished at 3.30am on Sunday morning after the 3 games there on Saturday evening, and were back again at 5.30am to prepare the pitch for the games yesterday. 5 games in 2 days, and it was still like a carpet afterwards.

waterfordlad

There were only 2 goals scored in 3 championship matches last weekend. It's been a while since there was a Munster final without a goal so it won't go down as a great final by any means. Waterford were well in it up to last 10 minutes or so and Tipp only got more than a goal ahead late on. James Owens didn't do Waterford any favours in first half I felt as he let a lot of holding and spare arm tackling go with 2 fouls both on Jake Dillon I think in the space of a few minutes not being given which annoyed the Waterford crowd. Tipp overall had better forwards which was main difference and Waterford also presented them with 2 points from short clearances by Stephen O'Keeffe in 2nd half and hit some bad wides.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: waterfordlad on July 14, 2015, 03:56:59 PM
There were only 2 goals scored in 3 championship matches last weekend. It's been a while since there was a Munster final without a goal
A whole two years in fact! Think someone tweeted it was the fourth one ever or something like that.

waterfordlad

;D Oh yeah Limerick Cork in 2013 was goalless. I forgot about that earlier but it is a rare occurrence in a Munster final as you say.