2014 championship starts, but league isn't even finalised!!

Started by johnneycool, April 25, 2014, 02:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

John Meyler is a Cork man. John, have a chat inside your own home county before you start howling at the moon.

Zulu

Kevin Ryan, the Antrim manager, is playing the same card in todays examiner. I wouldn't blame the GAA top brass if they started wondering what was the point of IC hurling such is the moaning that goes on. For example, the following is from the Meyler piece -

QuoteHe is frustrated by what he regards as the lack of a structure to encourage rather than hinder weaker hurling counties. Three of Leinster's 'round-robin five' will be finished for the year on May 25, while the top two are likely to be gone a week later.

"How can teams improve if they're not hurling? The top counties are thinking about September but many players from weaker counties are finished in May.

First off, the round robin is a way of giving weaker counties more games against teams they can beat before stepping up a level but that's not good enough, now John and Kevin want what, the games played every 2 weeks so it's dragged out??

Between counties like Wexford who don't want to play against anyone bar the traditional elite (even though they can't beat most) and weaker counties who seemingly don't want to be knocked out of competitions in which they can't beat even middling teams you'd wonder wonder why the GAA don't just tell these moaners to sort it out themselves.

fearsiuil

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2014, 02:14:09 PM
John Meyler is a Cork man. John, have a chat inside your own home county before you start howling at the moon.
Meyler is a yella belly, played football and hurling for Wexford before winning an All-Ireland medal as an unused sub for Cork in the hurling.

Asal Mor

All-star betting on Paddy Power.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/all-star-awards?ev_oc_grp_ids=18892

Very difficult thing to predict but probably still some good and very bad value there all the same. From a Galway pov Glynn and Cooney at 11/1 and 12/1 look decent value to me, as does Brehony at 6/1. If you're looking for some bad value then Joe at 5/6, Shefflin at 3/1, Tannian at 9/2 and Shane Kavanagh(who won't make the Galway team barring a few injuries) at 6/1 are your men. They don't seem to have quoted prices for some of the newer players like Daithi or Ronan Burke. I see Eoin Larkin at 14/1. Is his form that bad?

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 06, 2014, 05:24:40 PM
All-star betting on Paddy Power.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/all-star-awards?ev_oc_grp_ids=18892

Very difficult thing to predict but probably still some good and very bad value there all the same. From a Galway pov Glynn and Cooney at 11/1 and 12/1 look decent value to me, as does Brehony at 6/1. If you're looking for some bad value then Joe at 5/6, Shefflin at 3/1, Tannian at 9/2 and Shane Kavanagh(who won't make the Galway team barring a few injuries) at 6/1 are your men. They don't seem to have quoted prices for some of the newer players like Daithi or Ronan Burke. I see Eoin Larkin at 14/1. Is his form that bad?
The bookies also offer bets on player of the year. In may. Nuts.

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2014, 05:44:32 PM
The bookies also offer bets on player of the year. In may. Nuts.

Yeah and Joe is usually favorite for that too. All part of the crazy expectations he has to put up with.