All Ireland Hurling Championship 2013

Started by AZOffaly, April 30, 2013, 04:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Believe it or not, as Tipperary and Kilkenny battle for league honours down in Nowlan Park, Westmeath and Antrim will be kicking off the Championship in Mullingar at the same time. Not sure why, or what the urgency is. Must be a bit down-heartening for the players to be honest.

Should be a tight game really, Westmeath always have hurlers, and Antrim will be confident having hurled competitively at 1B level this year. Antrim should have enough you'd think, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Westmeath may take them.

Croí na hÉireann

Can't see it this year AZ. Failed to get out of 2A again. Beaten by Kerry and then Laois in the decider. They seem to be having the typical second season after making some progress last year, regression. There is an open night for both codes on Friday week by which time the hurlers will probably be out of Leinster.  ::) At least we have the game in the park so that gives us a chance I suppose.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

From the Bunker

Crazy disrespect for Westmeath and Antrim to have them playing championship before the end of the League. Show's that the powers that be are trying to get the also rans out of the way early in the year!

johnneycool

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 30, 2013, 05:13:26 PM
Crazy disrespect for Westmeath and Antrim to have them playing championship before the end of the League. Show's that the powers that be are trying to get the also rans out of the way early in the year!

You're not surprised are you?

We'll be told a few weeks later that the championship has started when in all reality it starts this weekend.

Milltown Row2

How will the results go today Johnny? Kerry are a decent second tier team the rest should go to form, Derry game will be tight but home advantage should get them through
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggy90

Good win for Warwickshire over Longford yesterday in the Lory Meagher. Next up Fermanagh.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

AQMP

Good win for Antrim today.  Next up is Laois which is winnable then the winners of Carlow/London which is winnable then Galway which isn't.

neilthemac

even more crazy that the Antrim v Westmeath game was on at almost the same time as the league final

CitySlicker11

They have no other option than to put their heads down and get on with it. Hopefully if Antrim put in a few big weeks they may have people questioning the decision to try and get this game run off as quickly as possible.

seafoid

Westmeath gave Galway a good game last year. Did they fall back a bit over the year?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2013, 01:24:30 PM
Westmeath gave Galway a good game last year. Did they fall back a bit over the year?

I thought it was 2 years ago.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 06, 2013, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

I thought it was 2 years ago.
2012 Qtr-final – Galway 5-18 Westmeath 4-13, Mullingar

Semi-final – Galway 5-23 Offaly 3-15, Portlaoise

seafoid

I suppose the big questions are

1 Will Tipp come back to the required level after last year ? 
2 Have Galway got a few more scoring forwards ?
3 Is anyone else going to step up ? 

Plain of the Herbs

I see 'Plain Daft' referred to this through the medium of the Cyril Farrell column.  The reason for the earlier start is because of all the waifs and strays who have landed into Leinster in recent years.  All at 'Plain Daft's' request too.  But then again, 'Plain Daft' likes his bread buttered on all sides.  Without Antrim, London and Galway, the Leinster Championship wouldn't have to commence for another four weeks.  Or maybe 'Plain Daft' would like to see Carlow, Westmeath, Laois and Offaly excluded from the Leinster Championship to suit the imports.
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 30, 2013, 05:13:26 PM

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2013, 03:33:01 PM
I suppose the big questions are

1 Will Tipp come back to the required level after last year ? 
2 Have Galway got a few more scoring forwards ?
3 Is anyone else going to step up ?

1 Maybe, but failings from '11 final resurfaced on Sunday. When pressure was really on, their forwards, Kelly, Corbett, Callinan, Bonnar Maher, couldn't deliver. Tipp' can't hope they meet compliant teams such as Galway at every stage of the c'ship.

2 No, and the malaise is also in 3, 6, 8, 9. Unless management show a step-change in team selection and greater variation in tactics, (and not just in playing 3 around midfield), another long spell in oblivion beckons.

3 Maybe Clare. The rest, I'm afraid not. Perhaps a wet day might derail KK.